Low cost tire review

JayG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Low cost tire review

Post by JayG » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:34 pm

Don't flame me, I needed new shoes for my Targa and didn't want to spend big $$

After looking at the normal choices, Conti's, Michelin AS3, etc, I went with Nankang NS-25 All Season UHP. My Targa has 19's.
I ended up buying all 4 for roughly $400! The other tires would have been around $1100.
I had a local small shop mount and balance, adding another $80. So I was in for $480.

I don't track or AX this car, so decent All Season tires were what I wanted and with my pending move to Austin and winter coming, summer tires were not the way to go.

Frankly, I have been pleasantly surprised with them. We just had 2 rainy days, and they performed really well on wet roads.
If you are looking for a lower cost, but decent performing tire, definitely consider these. BTW, from what I can tell, they are not made in China, but Taiwan. I did a bit of research, and they have gotten pretty good reviews
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY (sold)
2004 996 Targa Tip
2020 BMW X3 Xdrive, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Re: Low cost tire review

Post by FRUNKenstein » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:26 am

JayG wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:34 pm Don't flame me, I needed new shoes for my Targa and didn't want to spend big $$

After looking at the normal choices, Conti's, Michelin AS3, etc, I went with Nankang NS-25 All Season UHP. My Targa has 19's.
I ended up buying all 4 for roughly $400! The other tires would have been around $1100.
I had a local small shop mount and balance, adding another $80. So I was in for $480.

I don't track or AX this car, so decent All Season tires were what I wanted and with my pending move to Austin and winter coming, summer tires were not the way to go.

Frankly, I have been pleasantly surprised with them. We just had 2 rainy days, and they performed really well on wet roads.
If you are looking for a lower cost, but decent performing tire, definitely consider these. BTW, from what I can tell, they are not made in China, but Taiwan. I did a bit of research, and they have gotten pretty good reviews
Although I just bought a set of Michelin all seasons for my 996tt, I am a fan of the mid-price tire segment. When you do a search on Discounttire.com or tirerack.com, you generally see 3 groups - the cheapo, no-name tire, the expensive (mainly Michelin’s with some others sprinkled in), then that middle class that Nankang falls into (along with Hankook, Kumho and Sumitomo).

The price differential between the middle and upper classes is often very significant - sometimes double. But if you surf around and look at professional reviews and performance ratings, you’ll notice a lot of overlap between that middle group and the expensive group. I suspect that there is some minor performance edge to the expensive group, but given my driving skills and typical usage, I doubt I’d ever be able to exploit it. I suspect the same to be true for most other drivers. I think it is a lot like buying golf clubs - the weak link in the performance chain isn’t the equipment.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:27 am

Now, for the real question, what’s up with the move to Austin? As in Texas?
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:42 am

I put Kumho's on mine last winter, and like you said, I don't drive aggressive enough for any difference between Pilot Sports and these to make itself known. I might go expensive next time just to see, but the last thing I think about on this car is the tires.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:59 am

FRUNKenstein wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:26 am The price differential between the middle and upper classes is often very significant - sometimes double. But if you surf around and look at professional reviews and performance ratings, you’ll notice a lot of overlap between that middle group and the expensive group. I suspect that there is some minor performance edge to the expensive group, but given my driving skills and typical usage, I doubt I’d ever be able to exploit it. I suspect the same to be true for most other drivers. I think it is a lot like buying golf clubs - the weak link the the performance chain isn’t the equipment.
True. We don't buy PS2s for ours because we think there is some great technical advantage that will put us over the 9/10ths hump. We buy them because we've had a crappy set of tires (ContiSports) on the car in the past and have always been happy with the ride and wear of the PS2s. If we were still burning through a set or two every year like the early days (when the PS2s and ContiCrap were really the only options) I would probably have a different opinion, but at a new set every 3-6 years the price differential is less than the risk of having tires that we hate for the next 3-6 years.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:28 am

While I've only had one set on my car since I bought it I am not qualified to comment. However, my main consideration is always the noise factor. I hate driving a nice car when the tires makes it sound like I'm sitting in the cabin of a John Deere tractor.
gnat wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:59 am
FRUNKenstein wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:26 am The price differential between the middle and upper classes is often very significant - sometimes double. But if you surf around and look at professional reviews and performance ratings, you’ll notice a lot of overlap between that middle group and the expensive group. I suspect that there is some minor performance edge to the expensive group, but given my driving skills and typical usage, I doubt I’d ever be able to exploit it. I suspect the same to be true for most other drivers. I think it is a lot like buying golf clubs - the weak link the the performance chain isn’t the equipment.
True. We don't buy PS2s for ours because we think there is some great technical advantage that will put us over the 9/10ths hump. We buy them because we've had a crappy set of tires (ContiSports) on the car in the past and have always been happy with the ride and wear of the PS2s. If we were still burning through a set or two every year like the early days (when the PS2s and ContiCrap were really the only options) I would probably have a different opinion, but at a new set every 3-6 years the price differential is less than the risk of having tires that we hate for the next 3-6 years.
Never gonna make you cry...

JayG

Post by JayG » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:55 am

FRUNKenstein wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:27 am Now, for the real question, what’s up with the move to Austin? As in Texas?
They finally got the building permit on Thursday. They broke ground and graded the lot on Friday!
Should be finished and ready for us to move in around March.

The house is actually in Lago Vista, on Lake Travis/Colorado River. We are not waterfront, but very close and have a partial river view

Can't wait to have COTA as my home track :D :D
2004 996 Targa Tip

JayG

Post by JayG » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:56 am

32wildbilly wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:28 am While I've only had one set on my car since I bought it I am not qualified to comment. However, my main consideration is always the noise factor. I hate driving a nice car when the tires makes it sound like I'm sitting in the cabin of a John Deere tractor.
gnat wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:59 am
That's what I hated about the As/3s It sounded like I had bad wheel bearings once they wore in a little.
2004 996 Targa Tip

JayG

Post by JayG » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:58 am

FRUNKenstein wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:26 am
JayG wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:34 pm Don't flame me, I needed new shoes for my Targa and didn't want to spend big $$

Although I just bought a set of Michelin all seasons for my 996tt, I am a fan of the mid-price tire segment. When you do a search on Discounttire.com or tirerack.com, you generally see 3 groups - the cheapo, no-name tire, the expensive (mainly Michelin’s with some others sprinkled in), then that middle class that Nankang falls into (along with Hankook, Kumho and Sumitomo).

The price differential between the middle and upper classes is often very significant - sometimes double. But if you surf around and look at professional reviews and performance ratings, you’ll notice a lot of overlap between that middle group and the expensive group. I suspect that there is some minor performance edge to the expensive group, but given my driving skills and typical usage, I doubt I’d ever be able to exploit it. I suspect the same to be true for most other drivers. I think it is a lot like buying golf clubs - the weak link in the performance chain isn’t the equipment.
Exactly. The Nankangs price wise are the same or lower than some of the who flung dung brands, but much better performance and hopefully quality
2004 996 Targa Tip

808Bill
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 808Bill » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:39 am

I only got 10K miles out of my Sumi III, trying the 5's now. Stay tuned!
FSI-R40