How your 996 has changed your driving / 996 performance driving tips

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

How your 996 has changed your driving / 996 performance driving tips

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:17 am

So, this thread is an experiment to see if we can all chime in cool driving tips and/or driving lessons we've learned from the 996 without violating The Rule. I imagine we all understand that street racing is bad, and any lectures/complaints should be directed to that brick wall right over there.
--->

I'll go first.

1) I learned that the correct wing shim in a MKII wing is essential at speeds above 100mph, at least with the Aerokit II on a MK1 996. The rear will come off the ground completely over any significant rise with the wing in the stock (neutral) position. I could probably be using 4-degree shims instead of 8-degree to slow down my tire chew rate, but...moar downforce!

2) When accelerating through a reducing-radius sweeper, I feather the throttle about 10% just before the front end crosses any significant ruts, cracks, or joints in the surface. If I do this, the front end loads just enough to not skitter across the change in the road surface. If I do not, PSM will fire and I'll wind up going through that corner looking through the side glass.

I do not typically turn off PSM, because - as YouTube personality Ave says...

download.png
download.png (6.73 KiB) Viewed 1853 times

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: How your 996 has changed your driving / 996 performance driving tips

Post by gnat » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:27 am

6yr old sun damaged summer tires can be fun when you want to act like an ass and slide through corners in a planned for situation. Not so much when you aren't expecting/planning it. Thank Ferdinand for the blessing of AWD and PSM!

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:53 am

P.S. You're a Dick.

noahsdad

Post by noahsdad » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:46 am

My 996 is a very early model and only has ABS, which I like. My 03 Turbo had PASM, and I found it intrusive, even in the "off" mode. I removed the mufflers from my 996 and find that the car handles really well, despite the rear weight bias. Those mufflers weigh over 30lbs each! Suspension-wise, I have Eibach sways and Bilsteins, which makes the car much more predictable in spirited driving. Tires are PS-2's. It does tend to oversteer at the limit. Overall, its a very very fun car to drive fast.

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:29 pm

A fun thread, but I don't know enough about driving fast to contribute. Meaning, I still have not hit the limits on this car because I'm too chicken. I will say that I've been increasing the speed at which I take the off ramp nearest my house to see if I can get close to the stickiness limit, but again, too chicken.

What I do like is the HP on tap when I need it. "I'm bored. Zooooooom. Now I'm not."
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:35 pm

noahsdad wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:46 am My 03 Turbo had PASM, and I found it intrusive, even in the "off" mode.
For the record you have PSM, not PASM. PASM wasn't introduced until MY 2005.

As far as turning it off, the Turbo is AWD so there is no true off as the functions of the AWD are always on. On a true RWD car (don't know if it's true for Schnelly's poor butchered car) turning PSM off really does disable the system as if it wasn't installed.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:40 pm

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:29 pm A fun thread, but I don't know enough about driving fast to contribute. Meaning, I still have not hit the limits on this car because I'm too chicken.
I dare say not a single person on this forum has pushed their 996 to it's limit. These cars (even in stock form) are better and more capable than we are.

I thought I knew the car. Taking it to the track taught me different. It has so much more to give and I have no doubt that fleshy bag of water behind the wheel is going to lose it long before the car does.

It kinda reminds me of my horse as a kid. We'd go to riding lessons and when I'd do something wrong he'd toss my ass and then stand over me with this "gonna do that again?" look on his face. I envision that should I ever wreck the 996 (or 958 for that matter) that it's going to be left with a "great job dumb ass!" look on it's front end. :lol:

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:12 pm

Also not the guy to comment on performance driving. The closest I can say is this is the car I finally learned how to heel-toe shift in. Rev-matching a free revving flat six is quite rewarding.

I can take some creative liberties with how has the 996 changed my driving. A fun one I can think of is; whenever I get compliments from neighborhood kids I've trained an automatic response to give them a few revs of appreciation in return. There's a gang of boys that always chase after me on their BMX bikes and whenever I see them I try to treat them to a concert. Their gleeful little shouts bring me back to my childhood. :)
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

noahsdad

Post by noahsdad » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:56 pm

gnat wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:35 pm
noahsdad wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:46 am My 03 Turbo had PASM, and I found it intrusive, even in the "off" mode.

As far as turning it off, the Turbo is AWD so there is no true off as the functions of the AWD are always on. On a true RWD car (don't know if it's true for Schnelly's poor butchered car) turning PSM off really does disable the system as if it wasn't installed.
Yes, PSM. However, I respectfully disagree, Sir Gnat. With the PSM turned off, my Turbo consistently had the PSM nanny come on whilst I tooled down the Cordscrew at Laguna Seca. Based on my speed and trajectory, it was sure I was going to crash and did everything to stop it from happening.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:00 pm

noahsdad wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:56 pm
gnat wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:35 pm

Yes, PSM. However, I respectfully disagree, Sir Gnat. With the PSM turned off, my Turbo consistently had the PSM nanny come on whilst I tooled down the Cordscrew at Laguna Seca. Based on my speed and trajectory, it was sure I was going to crash and did everything to stop it from happening.
Yes, because the Turbo is AWD and not RWD. PSM can not be completely turned off in the AWD cars because the AWD system makes use of it to determine the torque split. That is also why all C4 cars have PSM.