Poll - Do You Prefer A Manual or Tiptronic ?

JohnIreland

Re: Poll - Do You Prefer A Manual or Tiptronic ?

Post by JohnIreland » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:13 pm

The only thing the Tip is missing is rev matching on down shift, otherwise it is a faster transmission than a manual. And if it had the rev matching I very likely wouldn't have gone back to a manual. But the Tip is like the Cab...expensive when it is 20 years old and it breaks. You have to know its service history. The manual is pure driving. But my time with an 8 speed torque converter ZF trans in my Alfa was great. 99% as good as a PDK. It made agressive driving even more aggressive...diving into a turn, standing on the brakes at the last minute and dropping down three gears in a nanosecond (okay a little exaggeration) and then powering out. If you watch the old manual trans WRC cars like the Lancia and Audis, and then compare them to the modern DKG style trans in the modern car, it is obvious how much faster the automated transmissions are. Before I bought my current manual 996, I was seriously considering a Tip...it was a 2001 and great driver because you had instant access to manual mode by just hitting a button...unlike the 98/99 996s which required engaging manual mode through the shifter before the buttons would be activated. I also preferred the Tip buttons to any of the paddles. Being able to go up and down the gears with either hand was a great feature. And modern programming would have made Tip so good, PDK might never have happened.