Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

sweet victory
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by sweet victory » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:35 pm

FRUNKenstein wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:08 pm Well, how’s about a “Let’s gang up on Dave” party?

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1 ... g-kit.html

I don't get the semantics arguing; I think we all know what we're talking about. Quiet annoying how that took over any discussion about the product itself. Don't really care if it's my best friend or some stranger on the internet, it's not so smart to launch and sell a product before thoroughly testing it, especially if it's apart of your brakes...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:37 am

ipman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:50 pm I got no dog in this fight, but it is always disappointing to see things like that. People - at least me- come here to talk about a shared interest, not to see Jerry Springer, we get that in our daily life. (although I admit when Jerry came out back in the day, I was entertained some).
I don't know what you are talking about. Since closing the GWITF thread and making it known that our trouble making cliq was not welcome things have just been peaches and rainbows over there :roll:

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:13 am

gnat wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:37 am
ipman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:50 pm I got no dog in this fight, but it is always disappointing to see things like that. People - at least me- come here to talk about a shared interest, not to see Jerry Springer, we get that in our daily life. (although I admit when Jerry came out back in the day, I was entertained some).
I don't know what you are talking about. Since closing the GWITF thread and making it known that our trouble making cliq was not welcome things have just been peaches and rainbows over there :roll:
I feel the previous "clique" would have been stepped on long before it got to the point it is now...
Never gonna make you cry...

ipman
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by ipman » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:22 am

I don't know the history or what the GWITF thread was, that was before my time.

Dgi 07

Post by Dgi 07 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:32 am

ipman wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:22 am
The GWITF thread was a gift to the interwebz. If I remember correctly, top 3 in post count of any thread online. A place of epicness, where virtually nothing was sacred, just about everything was discussed.

It met its untimely demise at the hands of an asshole from Texas and a mod with a chip on her shoulder....
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 am ...an eternity of being sodomized by a giant phallus made of crushed, reformed ghost peppers.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:24 am

Good Week In The 996 Forum

It's demise was the genesis of this site and this thread we are posting in is a (weak) homage to it.

As Dgi said, nothing was sacred there. Discussions ranged from DT's Boxster M, to the best wood for brake pads, to irritating Schnelly by talking about needing to replace the breaks and get new shoes for our new-to-us stable.

Basically it was a place where we could escape from the constant "I have this totally new question about the IMSB that I know is totally new because I didn't bother search or even read the top sticky in the forum" garbage. It also acted as a catch all random garbage which kept other threads much cleaner.

We had long running battles with the aforementioned asshole from Texas as he for years would post about how crappy the 996 was and literally posted about being scared to drive it on a 500 mile road trip. He also tore down and rebuilt the motor of his poor car a couple of times including cobbling together his own budget IMSB (which the Mfg of the bearing he used even explicitly stated it was not appropriate for that application). He finally sold the car to an unsuspecting person by indicating that the bearing had been replaced, but not being clear that it was his own design. I'm sure you can predict what happened next.

Asshole disappeared for a year after trying to delete his posts showing that he knew what he had done (KC and DT can fill in what happened in this year if they want). When he came back again he was just as big of an ass as always. He would go into all kinds of technical threads just to shit all over the 996 and tell people they are better off just dumping them. The older crowd that knew him weren't about to let that crap stand and we made sure to educate all those he was trying to scare about just the type of person he is. Rather than respond to numerous reports about him by doing something about him, the mods came in and started handing out warnings to those of us making his truth known and they closed they abyssed the GWITF thread. Lots of accusations about us being a clique (like those mods have ANY room to talk), causing trouble, and generally bringing the forum down.

Thus the core of the GWITF forum crowd left and Schnelly gave us a new place to hang out. It is a bit lamer as we haven't hit the critical mass to bring in the "I have a new IMSB idea" idiots and newbies and oil threads to make fun of, but generally life is much better.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:26 am

32wildbilly wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:13 am
I feel the previous "clique" would have been stepped on long before it got to the point it is now...
Yeah yeah yeah. I was posting while getting my son off to school and a wholly unacceptable hour and spell check was not being helpful. :roll:

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:28 am

Dgi 07 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:32 am

The GWITF thread was a gift to the interwebz. If I remember correctly, top 3 in post count of any thread online. A place of epicness, where virtually nothing was sacred, just about everything was discussed.

It met its untimely demise at the hands of an asshole from Texas and a mod with a chip on her shoulder....
As I recall some of our post counts dropped by more than half when then abyssed it :(

ipman
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by ipman » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:42 am

Thanks for the history lesson gnat, definitely gives insight to those who were not around. Shame stuff like that happens. I’ve seen similar in other forums, it’s not indicative of the P car crowd.

Glad I found his place. Btw, I really like the 996. Eggs and all.

Dgi 07

Post by Dgi 07 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:59 am

gnat wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:28 am
Dgi 07 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:32 am

As I recall some of our post counts dropped by more than half when then abyssed it :(
At least by half. I spent time on a few other threads, but 75 % of my time was spent in there!!!

Dam shame really.
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 am ...an eternity of being sodomized by a giant phallus made of crushed, reformed ghost peppers.