Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by gnat » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:48 am

Actually the conspiracy is just that you'll throw it away and buy a new one and/or pay for costly repairs (which will be more than just getting a new one) from the MFG.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:34 am

I feel your pain. Now imagine owning a car that uses ALL OF THEM.

Go buy yourself a C4 Corvette. The parts racks in the 90's were full of parts from the failed 80's attempt to go Metric. My V8 is standard, but nearly all of the surrounding parts are metric. Collector bolts were standard; header bolts are metric. The brake caliper retaining pins eschew bolts entirely; the only thing preventing the pin from backing out into the wheel spokes is a C-clip. Right now my right front wheel is clicking, which probably means the clip fell off and the pin is now riding against the inside of the wheel.

Other than these minor niggles, it's a remarkable car.
32wildbilly wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:31 am Just what the F is up with all these various fasteners these days!!?? You got robertson, torx, triangle, double square, triple square, 12-spline, double hex, torx security, torx plus, poly drive, external torx, line head female, line head female tamper...Every freakin time I go to take something apart it is yet another freakin fastener head which I do not have the proper tool. Today went to change the light in our Panasonic microwave and, of freakin course, don't have the proper tool...once again! I opine for the days of all you needed was a straight blade or phillips screw driver.

I think it's a conspiracy between fastener manufacturers and tool companies.

Christ...I'm getting old!!

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:17 am

5chn3ll wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:34 am
I feel your pain. Now imagine owning a car that uses ALL OF THEM.

Go buy yourself a C4 Corvette. The parts racks in the 90's were full of parts from the failed 80's attempt to go Metric. My V8 is standard, but nearly all of the surrounding parts are metric. Collector bolts were standard; header bolts are metric. The brake caliper retaining pins eschew bolts entirely; the only thing preventing the pin from backing out into the wheel spokes is a C-clip. Right now my right front wheel is clicking, which probably means the clip fell off and the pin is now riding against the inside of the wheel.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Yeah, that would be a pain in the butt, however, I have two sets of tools one standard one metric. It would get frustrating to be under the car thinking is that 12mm or 1/2" crawl out get tool crawl back under then find you choose wrong!
Last edited by 32wildbilly on Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Never gonna make you cry...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:19 am

gnat wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:48 am Actually the conspiracy is just that you'll throw it away and buy a new one and/or pay for costly repairs (which will be more than just getting a new one) from the MFG.
I think your right. The two screws on the side of the cover were standard phillips. Took those out and figured this job would be easy. Nope back side screws were #15 torx security. Screw em! Home depot had the bits as separates! Back together and good for another five years.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:59 am

32wildbilly wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:31 am Just what the F is up with all these various fasteners these days!!?? You got robertson, torx, triangle, double square, triple square, 12-spline, double hex, torx security, torx plus, poly drive, external torx, line head female, line head female tamper...Every freakin time I go to take something apart it is yet another freakin fastener head which I do not have the proper tool. Today went to change the light in our Panasonic microwave and, of freakin course, don't have the proper tool...once again! I opine for the days of all you needed was a straight blade or phillips screw driver.

LOL Just when I think I own every socket... a wild 996 appears!
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:53 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:59 am

Dr_S: Good to see you back. Things calm down?

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:15 pm

Thanks, Billy! Just trying to get caught up with things around here.

And per your question - NO! But life seems determined to move forward one way or another so I'm just figuring out how to cram it all in :lol:
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:46 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:59 am

When I removed the rear speakers to clean my drains, I discovered that the driver’s side was Phillips and the passenger side was Torx. Clearly some idiot lost the Torx screws at some point in the past. Not a big deal but not helpful either...
Daryll
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black
No Options!! (How did that happen??)

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon May 06, 2019 11:31 am

If you were to look in my car, you'd find the rear speaker on the passenger side held in with one factory fastener and one drywall screw.

I'm a heretic.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Mon May 06, 2019 11:34 am

You used a replacement screw? The duct tape and super glue people gotta eat, too.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver