Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by gnat » Wed May 09, 2018 9:49 am

Cuda911 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:47 am Gotta keep those vehicle-related bills hidden like they were Schnelly's browser history.
Nah he doesn't bother. He just makes sure things like Human Centipede and Pink Sock are always at the top of the list. No normal human can make it past those to see what he is really up to.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed May 09, 2018 9:58 am

gnat wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:34 am
b3freak wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:43 am
Based on my experience, it is meant to be more than a simply marketing ploy. While they are still plenty safe for "normal" driving, they are borderline dangerous in extreme situations. The decreased rolling resistance (aka friction) is real.

I won't say they are an outright scam, but they definitely offer no benefit (and a lot of detriments) with my driving characteristics.
Wow! Guess I dodged a bullet on this one. Recently needed tires for the Rav. Researched and found CR loves three different Eco tires. Decided not to follow their advice and went with an all season tire with a winter rating. So far, they are better than the Michelins they replaced.
Never gonna make you cry...

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Wed May 09, 2018 10:01 am

kcattorney wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:20 am Wife's been bitching for a couple of years now wanting a Le Vian chocolate diamond ring. The mom-and-pop jewelry store that I occasionally use tells me that Le Vian "chocolate diamonds" are the biggest ripoff in the jewelry industry and he won't carry them. But, he tells me that if she absolutely has to have an industrial drill bit grade diamond ring, for God's sake don't buy the ridiculously overpriced Le Vian brand - just get generic (who cares about a jewelry brand anyway?). OK, so I get her a beautiful, non-Le Vian, brown diamond ring last year. She makes me return it because she doesn't like it. Fast forward to about a week ago - this time I get her the exact Le Vian ring she wants. $4,000 ring, but I shopped hard and got it for $2,000. She's happy. I had the 951 in the shop in April for TB/WP (which my sons still drive and was nearly 4 years overdue for a TB/WP). She sees the repair bill yesterday, which is for $2,100. Now she's pissed off again because I spent more on the car than I spent on her ring. WTF?!?!
No matter what people say, there are no shortcuts with a woman. My father loves to tell the story about a man that bought what he thought was a great deal on a diamond engagement ring. His wife years later takes it to have it cleaned and appraised. The jeweler comes back with some very bad news that the ring was in fact NOT real. Cubic Zirconia! :o This was back in the day when no one heard of such a thing. Can you imagine being in her house that night? :lol:

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed May 09, 2018 10:15 am

gnat wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:40 am
kcattorney wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:20 am Wife's been bitching for a couple of years now wanting a Le Vian chocolate diamond ring.
Could be worse. She could want one of these: https://www.hasselblad.com/h6d-multishot/

Even the used older versions still fall into the "if you have to ask" category and are worth more than this forum's namesake :o
Ohhh, gnat. Even the pros RENT those things. :lol:
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed May 09, 2018 10:30 am

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:15 am
gnat wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:40 am Could be worse. She could want one of these: https://www.hasselblad.com/h6d-multishot/

Even the used older versions still fall into the "if you have to ask" category and are worth more than this forum's namesake :o
Ohhh, gnat. Even the pros RENT those things. :lol:
The pros that live in the right areas anyway. D.C. apparently is not the market they want to rent to and the local shops that used to rent that kind of stuff have all folded and disappeared :(

I used to work with a guy that had a full Hasselblad setup just before their first digital back came out. He loaned it to her so she could do her photography class project with it. We have some really nice medium format prints of the monuments at night (she did the developing too).

The upside is that should I ever actually buy one for her, she keeps her cameras like she keeps her cars. She is still rocking the Cannon 10D I bought her back in 03 or 04. Severely outdated compared to today's models, but it still does some damn fine pictures.

Dgi 07

Post by Dgi 07 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:05 am

b3freak wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:01 am
kcattorney wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:20 am Wife's been bitching for a couple of years now wanting a Le Vian chocolate diamond ring. The mom-and-pop jewelry store that I occasionally use tells me that Le Vian "chocolate diamonds" are the biggest ripoff in the jewelry industry and he won't carry them. But, he tells me that if she absolutely has to have an industrial drill bit grade diamond ring, for God's sake don't buy the ridiculously overpriced Le Vian brand - just get generic (who cares about a jewelry brand anyway?). OK, so I get her a beautiful, non-Le Vian, brown diamond ring last year. She makes me return it because she doesn't like it. Fast forward to about a week ago - this time I get her the exact Le Vian ring she wants. $4,000 ring, but I shopped hard and got it for $2,000. She's happy. I had the 951 in the shop in April for TB/WP (which my sons still drive and was nearly 4 years overdue for a TB/WP). She sees the repair bill yesterday, which is for $2,100. Now she's pissed off again because I spent more on the car than I spent on her ring. WTF?!?!
No matter what people say, there are no shortcuts with a woman. My father loves to tell the story about a man that bought what he thought was a great deal on a diamond engagement ring. His wife years later takes it to have it cleaned and appraised. The jeweler comes back with some very bad news that the ring was in fact NOT real. Cubic Zirconia! :o This was back in the day when no one heard of such a thing. Can you imagine being in her house that night? :lol:
Hell hath no fury like a woman with a Cubic Zirconia ring....

Ir'd rather go thru Schn3ll's browser history(twice) than be a fly on the wall in that house that night.
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 am ...an eternity of being sodomized by a giant phallus made of crushed, reformed ghost peppers.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed May 09, 2018 12:31 pm

gnat wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:30 am The upside is that should I ever actually buy one for her, she keeps her cameras like she keeps her cars. She is still rocking the Cannon 10D I bought her back in 03 or 04. Severely outdated compared to today's models, but it still does some damn fine pictures.
That's good. If you ever get serious about picking her up a medium format digital consider the Leica S: https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography ... e-S-System. It's a steal compared to a full Hasselblad setup + glass. I have a vendor that uses this for architecture and his shots are incredibly detailed.

We rent the 100MP Hasselblad (Honestly usually we rent the Phase One with H-glass because it's cheaper :P ), to do stuff like jewelry and fashion shoots where we are photographing a sitting model but cropping in to her hand. It's insane to crop out 85% of the image and still end up with an image that's 11480x9720 @ 300ppi. :shock:

Depending on what your wife likes to shoot, the Hasselblad, despite how sexy it is, might be overkill.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed May 09, 2018 12:44 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:31 pm It's insane to crop out 85% of the image and still end up with an image that's 11480x9720 @ 300ppi. :shock:
Yeah. It's outdated now, but the first shot with that 10D was of her dog in the garden. The whole dog was in frame, but something just didn't look right to me about her eyes. I was able to zoom in enough that not only could I see my wife's reflection, but there was also a reflection of a ladybug on a leaf nearby.

That was the moment we learned that not all megapixels are created equal... (at least back then).
Depending on what your wife likes to shoot, the Hasselblad, despite how sexy it is, might be overkill.
Insanely overkill, of that there is no question. But then so was a brand new 911 :D

And yes, I am aware that the body is only the down payment. The glass is the insane part :shock:

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Wed May 09, 2018 12:48 pm

Apparently idiocracy came much sooner than expected. Deodorant challenge proves it.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed May 09, 2018 1:33 pm

Kalashnikov wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:48 pm Apparently idiocracy came much sooner than expected. Deodorant challenge proves it.
I've played with freon, I get it. Though I never thought to give myself frostbite on purpose...

More concerning to me is that this is being reported to similar trends of Tide Pods (we knew about those morons) and ... wait for it ... snorting condoms...

Yes, it is apparently a thing to snort a condom up your nose... WTH is wrong with kids these days??? :roll: