Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by gnat » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:45 am

DTMiller wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:10 pm The miata's engine died doing what it loves, so there's that.
Ummm... Maybe I'll skip letting you drive me around the track after class is over...

TheDeckMan
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by TheDeckMan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:17 am

So who was out doing some joy riding?

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/crim ... 00394.html
A soldier stole an armored personnel carrier from Fort Pickett on Tuesday evening and led police on a more than 60-mile chase that ended in downtown Richmond, where he abandoned the vehicle and was taken into police custody on Broad Street near City Hall and Capitol Square.

“It sounds like he pretty much just stopped on his own accord,” said State Police Sgt. Keeli Hill.

Authorities have not yet identified the driver or said how he was able to take the vehicle from the National Guard facility in Nottoway County.

The vehicle mostly stuck to highways, topping out at speeds of about 45 mph, she said.

When it entered Richmond, the driver exited Interstate 95/64 onto the Boulevard and then drove onto Broad Street toward the Capitol downtown.

Police scrambled to clear the busy street as the vehicle cruised through. A state police helicopter used a spotlight to track its movements.

Hill said no injuries or accidents were reported as a result of the chase. She said she could not confirm witness accounts that police used a Taser on the driver after he stopped the vehicle. She said he was taken into custody without incident.

State police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said the incident began about 7:50 p.m. when the personnel carrier was driven away from Fort Pickett.

She said the military vehicle is the property of the Virginia National Guard. She said the vehicle, which moves on tracks similar to a tank, was not equipped with any weaponry.

The personnel carrier was driven east on Route 460 and then north on Interstate 95, Geller said. The state police began pursuit of the vehicle after receiving the initial report and traveled along with it from Nottoway County to Richmond.

As the vehicle approached the intersection of Broad Street and Belvidere Street, traffic had been backed up and police screamed into the intersection and started frantically clearing the road.

As of 9:40 p.m., the driver of the personnel carrier had stopped at East Broad Street and 11th Street and surrendered to state police. About a half-dozen Capitol Police officers with combat-style rifles were guarding the entrance to Capitol Square.

Witnesses said the vehicle moved up on a median, stopped, and the driver got out and started walking around. Police sent a dog to attack him, shot him with a Taser and he was taken into custody, the witnesses said.

Police said the incident is under investigation and charges are pending.
996TT - Widowmaker Project -RWD, UMW Tune, H&R RSS, Phenix Engineering Control Arms/LCA's, GT3 6 Pistons, SpeedTech 3" X-Pipe, Ported Headers, 997 GT3 Shifter, GT3 Buckets, GT2 Clutch/PP, GT2RS IC's, RSS Roll Bar, GT3 Brake Ducts, Joe Toth Aero/Ducts, Champion Thrust Arms
997TT - LSD, Chrono , UMW Tune, DSC, Phenix Engineering Toe Links & LCA Bushings, Tubi Race, 3" eRams, 964RS Engine Mounts
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC
https://phenixengineering.com/

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:26 am

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:36 am

Just south of me, but having a tank has been forbidden for me :cry:

Speaking of "tank" that's how the local news started reporting this. They are showing a clear picture of it and calling it a tank. My wife just rolled her eyes as I started screaming "do you see a main gun? no? then it's not a fucking tank is it?" at the TV. It's not like this market is exactly lite on military people either...

I've never exactly been good at tolerating idiots, but as I get older I seem to be able to handle suffering stupidity much worse :?

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:38 am

Since dealerships participate in the Spec Miata program, I think you can order a crate engine from the parts counter.

You can also buy Miata rebuilds from Autozone...a rebuilt MX-5 long-block costs a whopping $2,500 (plus a massive $260 core charge). I'm jealous.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:19 am

5chn3ll wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:38 am Since dealerships participate in the Spec Miata program, I think you can order a crate engine from the parts counter.

You can also buy Miata rebuilds from Autozone...a rebuilt MX-5 long-block costs a whopping $2,500 (plus a massive $260 core charge). I'm jealous.
My buddy has a healthy engine for $450. No misplaced commas or decimals. And he's helping me install it.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:18 pm

On topic of Mazdas. My first car that I bought with 100% of my own money. Whole $750 of it. 5 speed, no power anything. I bought it when I didn't....know how to drive stick. Bought it in San Francisco. I prayed on the way home that I don't get stopped on any of the hills. When I got home, there was a slope on the garage entrance. I could not get the car in the garage. After much sweat and embarrassment I gave up. When my mom got home...I asked her to move the car into the garage.

Wheels, stereo, speakers, passenger side mirror, seat covers....were my first attempts at tinkering with vehicle.
Attachments
Mazda.jpg
Mazda.jpg (74.91 KiB) Viewed 2366 times

Dgi 07

Post by Dgi 07 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:31 pm

Kalashnikov wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:18 pm ..........5 speed, no power anything. I bought it when I didn't....know how to drive stick. Bought it in San Francisco. I prayed on the way home that I don't get stopped on any of the hills. .......
That's how I learned. I just started working as a tech in a Honda dealership and figured eventually, i was gonna need to learn how to drive stick. Did a bunch of reading, went on craigslist, bought a stick Jetta and drove home. My commute to school was 60 miles back and forth on highways, with traffic and hills. It stuck after about 2 days of stalling out on hills and people blowing their horns behind me. My friends all called me insane, but it worked!
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 am ...an eternity of being sodomized by a giant phallus made of crushed, reformed ghost peppers.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:47 pm

My first "car" was a Mazda B2000 pickup with a 5-speed manual. There was no speed, and no RPM range, at which that car would actually accelerate or maintain speed in 5th - not sure why they even bothered.

That was also the only car I've ever "money shifted." I was downshifting from 4th to 3rd on the freeway, and I caught first instead of third. Out of the 5 forward gears, third was the only one I had available for the rest of the trip home. You have to baby the clutch a whole lot to go from a dead stop in third gear when you're working with 80HP.

According to Wikipedia, the "SE5" designation after B2000 indicated that I had the "sporty" model with such amenities as a tachometer, side-mounted truck mirrors, AND an AM/FM stereo. That was some tall cotton, boys...

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:53 pm

Faaaaaaancy