Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Spiegelei
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by Spiegelei » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:36 pm

DTMiller wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:56 am Who wants some man drama!?!?!?!

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and- ... es-to.html
I think we're about to see two grown men kiss
:: '03 996 C2 :: Daily Driven - Enjoyed Properly

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:34 am

Why'd this place get started again? Oh yeah, for dumb reasons like this: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and- ... amso3.html
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:43 am

DTMiller wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:34 am Why'd this place get started again? Oh yeah, for dumb reasons like this: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and- ... amso3.html
Well, I can understand why they took me to the wood shed, but this is beyond harsh given the fact that he has been a paying sponsor for more than 15 years. What's next from big brother?

Spiegelei

Post by Spiegelei » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:45 am

What the context in that situation? Sry for the newbie question - I just don't keep up on rennlist moderator actions.

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:48 am

Spiegelei wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:45 am What the context in that situation? Sry for the newbie question - I just don't keep up on rennlist moderator actions.
Guy has been a paying sponsor for 15 years and has decided not to continue being a paying sponsor and they are deleting his account and posts once that happens. So either keep paying, which he says has no positive RIO for him, or lose his entire presence, the vast majority of which is not sponsor type stuff. A lot of it was tech support on data systems he provided because he knows that stuff with the sort of general idea that by sharing info people would buy from him. Almost none of it (but not zero) is "I sell X product, buy it from me!"
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:03 am

DTMiller wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:48 am
Spiegelei wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:45 am What the context in that situation? Sry for the newbie question - I just don't keep up on rennlist moderator actions.
Guy has been a paying sponsor for 15 years and has decided not to continue being a paying sponsor and they are deleting his account and posts once that happens. So either keep paying, which he says has no positive RIO for him, or lose his entire presence, the vast majority of which is not sponsor type stuff. A lot of it was tech support on data systems he provided because he knows that stuff with the sort of general idea that by sharing info people would buy from him. Almost none of it (but not zero) is "I sell X product, buy it from me!"
Their sandbox, pail and shovel. Seems harsh to me. He apparently is also a help to people more than just a product seller. Problem with doing this could drive other sponsors away in my opinion. Nice to be reminded why we are "HERE".
Never gonna make you cry...

Spiegelei

Post by Spiegelei » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:16 am

That's just laziness on the Mod's part.. I understand he posted a lot and there is a lot of his content to sift though but an easy resolution would be to eliminate any thead he "owns" that is focused on sponsor/sales content. But nobody would take the time to properly clean an account like that.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:33 am

Sorry, but I couldn't help but to post in that thread. I'm fairly certain that's going to get me banned again. I didn't use the magic words "Good Week", but I still fully expect to be banned.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:34 am

Spiegelei wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:16 am That's just laziness on the Mod's part.. I understand he posted a lot and there is a lot of his content to sift though but an easy resolution would be to eliminate any thead he "owns" that is focused on sponsor/sales content. But nobody would take the time to properly clean an account like that.
Multiple easy workarounds: users have the ability to delete/edit indefinitely on Rennlist and you could easily put the onus on the sponsor to clean up their stuff on the way out the door or else they reserve the right to delete stuff up to and including everything.
1997 MX-5 track car

TheDeckMan
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by TheDeckMan » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:35 am

Seen this before on VWVortex, they ended up just switching to an advertiser account and locking it to keep the posts still there for info. When advertising over there back in the day it was $1000/mo which really was not worth it IMO, then they kept jacking the rates up which when you are selling a dozen parts for old Corrado's and helping out the community it is a hard justification.

I argued with them back and forth about only wanting to sell some Corrado stuff, but they said their fees were fixed and suggested in order to make it worth my while I need a better business model like selling software and other things for newer cars. Right now we have a main group on FB but that is very hard for sharing technical write ups/builds. Finding a home has been one of the chats many of us have talked about. Some are on here because of moving up in the world into Porsches.

Thank God for FB and IG as that tends to be the main places now. Most of us Corrado guys then left the forums and they died from being heavy handed by anyone selling anything to help out the community. Thus the forums have lost much of the knowledge and people that made it a rich community.

Smaller forums like this are a great place for support to grow, however it still needs active members and some way of supporting the costs. Paying membership even $5/year is not bad and can some times ensure people come back as they feel like they are supporting it. Sponsors also help but it has to be reasonable as they also tend to provide lots of technical experience and answers. Perhaps some sales result in it, but the real wealth is the number of folks that visit the site.
996TT - Widowmaker Project -RWD, UMW Tune, H&R RSS, Phenix Engineering Control Arms/LCA's, GT3 6 Pistons, SpeedTech 3" X-Pipe, Ported Headers, 997 GT3 Shifter, GT3 Buckets, GT2 Clutch/PP, GT2RS IC's, RSS Roll Bar, GT3 Brake Ducts, Joe Toth Aero/Ducts, Champion Thrust Arms
997TT - LSD, Chrono , UMW Tune, DSC, Phenix Engineering Toe Links & LCA Bushings, Tubi Race, 3" eRams, 964RS Engine Mounts
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC
https://phenixengineering.com/