Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:50 am

FRUNKenstein wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:21 pm Doing research on cars to buy as a daily driver. Have been thinking about a 2013 or newer Jag XJ. I’ve had several XJs before, so when I landed on the Jaguar forums, I figured I had been there before. Put in my username and password and yup, looks like my reputation preceded me:

45E15742-6CC7-4DF2-B2A6-F56423FBF211.png
Holy Chit! A Permaban! You must have been very very bad! The English folks do not put up with silliness or direct questions/comments.
tenor-13.gif
tenor-13.gif (4.7 MiB) Viewed 1687 times
Never gonna make you cry...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:58 am

FRUNKenstein wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:38 pm
OceanBlue2000 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:17 pm I only joined after I got the 996 three years ago, but I like it. My region puts on a lot of fun events and I really like Panorama. Although every other story is “this guy found James Dean’s 356 in a barn in Ohio and after spending $500,000 on restoration at a shop in Tahiti it looks brand new!”
No shit. It amazes me how anal some people are. They are just freakin' cars. One of my favorite articles was last year when the editor bought a $2,500 924 and drove it home cross-country. Now that's the kind of story that appeals to me. I have very little interest in hearing about cars that don't get driven.
I am sometimes amazed at how pretentious and elitist Pano comes across. In particular some of the letters to Pano section. "I enjoyed your article in the September issue concerning the rare 911 Kafutenfiler Maxx 901.537. When I owned four of those extremely rare and expensive models back in 1954 I never drove them and, in fact, built pedestals to place them on in the den of my 25,000 sq. ft. summer home in south of France..."

Don't get me wrong I've got nothing against people with money. I just feel if you have to flaunt it you should seek professional guidance.

WHATEVER!

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:19 am

Way back when I was in commercial lending, I had a couple of customers who were worth $60m+, but you’d never know it. They’d go to great lengths to keep a low profile.
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:34 am

I used to office across the street from the H&R Block world headquarters. Henry Bloch's car was an old Toyota Camry. His children commuted to work in a limo.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:35 am

I hate to name drop, but I don't think he would mind: Miles Fitterman was a customer and friend when I worked for a bank holding company in Minneapolis. He passed in 2004, but he left quite a legacy. https://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/25/us/m ... llege.html

In the late 70's we did quite a bit of business and would often travel to locations to either look at properties or close loans. Always coach. We'd go to dinner, and I remember well the staring contests that would ensue when the check came. I usually flinched first. :) He was quite a guy and I could go on and on with stories of Miles' frugality - but he did a LOT with those pennies he pinched. Meet him on the street and you'd never know he was a super-philanthropist.

My favorite story was about his "new neighbors" next to his place in Boca Raton. Again, late 70's, early 80's. One time he spoke of a couple that rented the place next door. He said the man was a nice fellow, a british musician supposedly. Miles said "This John seems to be an OK guy, but that Japanese woman...I just don't know...." It was John & Yoko....Miles had no clue who there were. :)

RIP, Miles, still miss you.
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:31 am

Einsteiger wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:19 am Way back when I was in commercial lending, I had a couple of customers who were worth $60m+, but you’d never know it. They’d go to great lengths to keep a low profile.
FRUNKenstein wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:34 am I used to office across the street from the H&R Block world headquarters. Henry Bloch's car was an old Toyota Camry. His children commuted to work in a limo.
Yep! Those are people who, even though they are, don't act like it or even try to cover up the fact that they are somebody. Real people not affected by success...Too bad Block's kids didn't learn the meaning of humility!

A couple of my experiences: Had lunch with Jack Welch, when he was CEO and Chairman of GE, a complete DICK who wanted to make sure you knew he was important! Also know this dude in Omaha whose first name is Warren from a few of his annual stock holder meetings, at his jewelry store and his furniture store. A more normal common person you could never meet. Drives(drove?) his own car, an old Chrysler, Plymouth or something of that nature by himself, eats Dairy Queen, his favorite place to eat is an old Omaha steak house like from the 50's, clothes appear one step up from a second hand store and he is worth a few bucks! He enjoys life, plays a ukulele in public, competes in newspaper throwing contests and can laugh at himself. All around nice guy. If you didn't know you wouldn't know. Although it is funny to watch his employees clinch butt cheeks when he walks in to one of his places!

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:48 pm

If someone can otherwise provide for themselves and their family, I don't really care how they spend their money. It's the attitude that matters.

Working for AOL I got to see Steve Case was about one of the most approachable normal guy you could find. Even after AOL got large enough to buy Time Warner, if you could catch him not in a meeting or on the phone he would be happy to talk to you about anything. Ted Leonsis is another great guy too. Ran into him at the Porsche dealer a year or so ago and he was still a great guy. Jim Kimsey was a dick, but that was more about being ex-Army from my dad's generation than anything to do with his money (he did not like my mohawk and made it known that he didn't think I should be there...

There is a lot of money in the DC area and in most cases the idea of "money can't buy class" is well and truly proven out though :roll:

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:28 pm

Not a good week for two people in NJ.

Do not think that'll buff out...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:46 pm

gnat wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:28 pm Not a good week for two people in NJ.

I did not realize that a Boxster would go that fast! Saw the logistics of this accident and that thing was MOVING to fly as far as it did!

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:06 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:46 pm
gnat wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:28 pm Not a good week for two people in NJ.

I did not realize that a Boxster would go that fast! Saw the logistics of this accident and that thing was MOVING to fly as far as it did!
That was a base Boxster too. Just shows how fast these cars really are - I have a base C2 3.4 and I’m always amazed how fast the car is - passed a guy on a two-lane last week and was going 95 before I knew it. I’m assuming the two guys in the Boxster were idiots, plus it was cold this morning so they may have hit a slippery spot. But still - damn...
Daryll
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black
No Options!! (How did that happen??)