Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Einsteiger

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by Einsteiger » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:15 pm

Tragic. Two people died that didn't have to. These are the best cars in the world, but if you don't respect the speed and drive for conditions, disaster. Est 100 mph on a public road. Not good.
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:25 pm

Battery Guy wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:06 pm
32wildbilly wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:46 pm

I did not realize that a Boxster would go that fast! Saw the logistics of this accident and that thing was MOVING to fly as far as it did!
That was a base Boxster too. Just shows how fast these cars really are - I have a base C2 3.4 and I’m always amazed how fast the car is - passed a guy on a two-lane last week and was going 95 before I knew it. I’m assuming the two guys in the Boxster were idiots, plus it was cold this morning so they may have hit a slippery spot. But still - damn...
Daryll
I hear you. It was reported on the nightly news that they jumped a median, went across two lanes, off the road, hit a rise on the shoulder, took flight and landed in the building on the SECOND floor. They did not give the flight distance but from the vantage point of where they left the road it appeared to be a minimum of 20 to maybe 50 yards or even further. Could have been the camera angle, but I don't think so...That is a significant amount of kinetic freakin energy!
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:34 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:25 pm
That was a base Boxster too. Just shows how fast these cars really are - I have a base C2 3.4 and I’m always amazed how fast the car is - passed a guy on a two-lane last week and was going 95 before I knew it. I’m assuming the two guys in the Boxster were idiots, plus it was cold this morning so they may have hit a slippery spot. But still - damn...
Daryll
I hear you. It was reported on the nightly news that they jumped a median, went across two lanes, off the road, hit a rise on the shoulder, took flight and landed in the building on the SECOND floor. They did not give the flight distance but from the vantage point of where they left the road it appeared to be a minimum of 20 to maybe 50 yards or even further. Could have been the camera angle, but I don't think so...That is a significant amount of kinetic freakin energy!
NBC's nightly news said there was a ditch/bank involved after the last curb. Still though, a lot of energy would have been burned at each point (not to mention gravity and the wall). So for it to make it completely into the building while airborne is impressive from a physics stand point.

I think 100mph before crossing the median is a low estimation. 120+ would not surprise me.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:07 pm

gnat wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:34 pm

NBC's nightly news said there was a ditch/bank involved after the last curb. Still though, a lot of energy would have been burned at each point (not to mention gravity and the wall). So for it to make it completely into the building while airborne is impressive from a physics stand point.

I think 100mph before crossing the median is a low estimation. 120+ would not surprise me.
Concur and heavy on the +

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:25 am

Daryll
I haven't forgotten this one when it was on the news. The news reporter showed the actually flight point and I'm still scratching my head how a 3500+ lb vehicle could take flight with very little ramp. Basically, it was just a cemented drain ditch. Watch and then you might see how the Porsche hit the second floor.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:56 am

b3freak wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:25 am
I haven't forgotten this one when it was on the news. The news reporter showed the actually flight point and I'm still scratching my head how a 3500+ lb vehicle could take flight with very little ramp. Basically, it was just a cemented drain ditch. Watch and then you might see how the Porsche hit the second floor.
Speed kills! That guy was lucky.

JayG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by JayG » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:32 am

Today is Veterans Day.

A shout out to all our Vets and active duty servicemen and women.

It now has a new meaning for me

HOOAH!!
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY (sold)
2004 996 Targa Tip
2020 BMW X3 Xdrive, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:37 am

Daryll
This happened close to where I grew up. That building is down a little rise from where they took off, but still. The road they were on is a four lane county road with a lot of commercial properties on both sides. Under normal conditions it would be impossible to get up to 100 MPH because of the traffic. Six in the morning I could see it I guess. Yikes.

The Asbury Park Press is reporting that a 22 year old was driving.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:47 am

A guy went off an overpass in a Boxster a number of years back...just a couple of miles from here. He landed shiny-side down. Did not buff right out. :(

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:49 am

Agreed!
JayG wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:32 am A shout out to all our Vets and active duty servicemen and women.
HOOAH!!
Here are some photos from my 10-day Naval career... :lol:
1.jpg
1.jpg (31.32 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (33.26 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (41.99 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (58.87 KiB) Viewed 1725 times

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.