Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:19 pm

gnat wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:14 am
5chn3ll wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:58 am China has finally been cracking down on some of the more hardcore environmental violations - not out of any ecological sense of urgency, but more because entire areas were being rendered uninhabitable due to some of their "recycling" practices.

The book "Junkyard Planet" is an interesting read - you get an idea of the scale of the global junk situation. It also makes you wonder what's going to happen when we run out of third-world countries willing to import our garbage.
Edward Burtynsky has done some good photography projects on some of that too:

https://www.edwardburtynsky.com/project ... ipbreaking
https://www.edwardburtynsky.com/project ... graphs/oil
https://www.edwardburtynsky.com/project ... rban-mines
https://www.edwardburtynsky.com/project ... s/tailings

(I've seen the first two shows in person, I was not aware of the 3rd and 4th)

I saw a video article on the ship dismantlers years ago, maybe on 60 minutes. Indian kids in shorts and short sleeved shirts barefooted wielding cutting torches while standing in the muck of low tide junk. That combination does not yield a long life span. It was disheartening.

I had an environment denier guy claim that: "How can we be adding things to the Earth? It takes something from the Earth to make something." Nothing gets added to the Earth except some space dust/junk falling from the sky." There were several of us who tried to explain that using resources to make something that get tossed is not the same as shoveling up some dirt from here and placing it back down over there. He would not agree to understand our point. This was back in the early 1990's. Today I understand he is a YUGE trump supporter. Go figure...

Well you two jerks just ruined day!
Never gonna make you cry...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:32 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:03 pm Well, boys, I'm casting away and going to go live among the garbage.

Yeah I don't think so. I saw Deliverance!

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:56 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:32 pm
Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:03 pm Well, boys, I'm casting away and going to go live among the garbage.

Yeah I don't think so. I saw Deliverance!
Isn't this thing going to be mostly mold after a year? How many leeches does it take to sink it?
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:30 pm

My favorite comment from the video is: "This is basically Grubhub for Bears" :lol:
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:46 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:30 pm My favorite comment from the video is: "This is basically Grubhub for Bears" :lol:
True...Bears can swim can't they!

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:50 pm

There is idiocy all over the spectrum. Around here, people genuinely believe that buying a Tesla is going to save the planet.

In the parts of the planet that are really at risk, people are dumping motor oil and sewage into the same water they're using the bathe and drink because it's what they have and they don't know any better; people live and work in conditions like boat breaking yards and battery dumps because that's where they can afford to exist. THAT reality is a "third-world shithole," but Trump wouldn't know anything about that.
32wildbilly wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:19 pmI had an environment denier guy claim that: "How can we be adding things to the Earth? It takes something from the Earth to make something." Nothing gets added to the Earth except some space dust/junk falling from the sky."

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:03 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:50 pm There is idiocy all over the spectrum. Around here, people genuinely believe that buying a Tesla is going to save the planet.

In the parts of the planet that are really at risk, people are dumping motor oil and sewage into the same water they're using the bathe and drink because it's what they have and they don't know any better; people live and work in conditions like boat breaking yards and battery dumps because that's where they can afford to exist. THAT reality is a "third-world shithole," but Trump wouldn't know anything about that.
More importantly trump wouldn't give a shit about such conditions.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:18 pm

It's hard to fathom that [NAME REDACTED] really has a cognitive disconnect between those "shitholes" and our consumer-goods-and-services-based economy. I think it's very much more likely that [NAME REDACTED] doesn't care about the environment, and he has no motivation to start caring since many of his cronies fall under the "God made the planet for us to use as we see fit" heading.

At least one of our lawmakers (who is not [NAME REDACTED] ) has a YouTube video in which he describes environmentalism as stupid and possibly contrary to the bible. His belief is that God created the planet for us, so fracking and strip-mining are both divinely inspired. It must be an incredibly liberating viewpoint: that we can do no wrong - but it's pretty goddamn short-sighted unless you're ABSOLUTELY SURE that the rapture is gonna happen before the groundwater catches fire.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:33 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:50 pm There is idiocy all over the spectrum. Around here, people genuinely believe that buying a Tesla is going to save the planet.
Watch how fast and deep their fingers go into their ears when you bring up Cobalt mining...

Lithium mining doesn't tend to be as explorative of humans, but it is not so nice to the countryside. They don't like to hear about that either.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:55 pm

You mean folks don't want to know that the cobalt in the cathode of each cell in their Tesla may have been mined by a little kid in the Congo? Weird, I'd think they would put that in the brochure.
gnat wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:33 pm
Watch how fast and deep their fingers go into their ears when you bring up Cobalt mining...

Lithium mining doesn't tend to be as explorative of humans, but it is not so nice to the countryside. They don't like to hear about that either.