Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:42 pm

Quick segue, I drove a Lexus LC500 today and now I am obsessed with a Lexus. The car is stunning (fight me) and I didn't know it made the noise it made until tonight and I'm still thinking about it.

Don't get me wrong it wasn't fast per se but wow I could daily that thing for 10+ years.

New 5 year goal.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:18 am

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:42 pm Quick segue, I drove a Lexus LC500 today and now I am obsessed with a Lexus. The car is stunning (fight me) and I didn't know it made the noise it made until tonight and I'm still thinking about it.

Don't get me wrong it wasn't fast per se but wow I could daily that thing for 10+ years.

New 5 year goal.
A dealer let you drive an LC500!! You must have driven in to the lot in your Ferrari. :roll:
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:40 am

32wildbilly wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:18 am
Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:42 pm Quick segue, I drove a Lexus LC500 today and now I am obsessed with a Lexus. The car is stunning (fight me) and I didn't know it made the noise it made until tonight and I'm still thinking about it.

New 5 year goal.
A dealer let you drive an LC500!! You must have driven in to the lot in your Ferrari. :roll:
Heh. I did that to a Lexus dealer shortly after the 996TT came out and they had a used one on the lot (who trades a new 996TT on a Lexus???). I went to look at it dressed as a typical 20 something computer professional of the early 00s and he didn't see that I drove the 996 in (it actually looked nice back then). He humored me by walking out to the car with me (which I had parked near the TT) but it was clear he thought I was just a kid wasting his time. When I asked about a test drive he didn't mince words about telling me that he didn't have time for that concluding with "come back with your dad if he is seriously interested in the car". I laughed at him and then laughed all the harder when he realized the 996 was my car and started doing verbal back flips to try to apologize.

Conversely when I bought my 98 XK8 I walked into the Jag dealer in sandals, cutoff jeans, and a torn up Misfits t-shirt. Andy didn't even blink twice, just came up and treated me like I had all the money in the world. Bought the car that changed my motoring life a week later from him.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:22 am

gnat wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:40 am

Heh. I did that to a Lexus dealer shortly after the 996TT came out and they had a used one on the lot (who trades a new 996TT on a Lexus???). I went to look at it dressed as a typical 20 something computer professional of the early 00s and he didn't see that I drove the 996 in (it actually looked nice back then). He humored me by walking out to the car with me (which I had parked near the TT) but it was clear he thought I was just a kid wasting his time. When I asked about a test drive he didn't mince words about telling me that he didn't have time for that concluding with "come back with your dad if he is seriously interested in the car". I laughed at him and then laughed all the harder when he realized the 996 was my car and started doing verbal back flips to try to apologize.

Conversely when I bought my 98 XK8 I walked into the Jag dealer in sandals, cutoff jeans, and a torn up Misfits t-shirt. Andy didn't even blink twice, just came up and treated me like I had all the money in the world. Bought the car that changed my motoring life a week later from him.
I think dealers have learned that not all who have money dress like they do. The Grace Slick DB6 story for one. Plus plenty of stories in the midwest about the old farmer coming in with bibbed overalls and a wad of cash in his pocket to pay cash for whatever car he wants...
Never gonna make you cry...

Optionman1

Post by Optionman1 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:31 am

In grad school i was told the story of Edwin L. Cox, a rich Texan, who walked into a rolls-royce dealership and pulled out his credit card after talking to a salesman. The salesman looked curiously at the cc only to be told by Mr. Cox to call his banker if he had any questions. When the salesman made the call, the banker asked "Is he buying a car or the dealership?"
2003 4S 6mt Arctic Silver/Metropol Blue
2009 4S PDK Meteor Grey/Black FSI 4.0 Stage II

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:36 am

New 5 year goal.

Are you kidding? They won't give me the address to the Lexus dealer. This car belongs to an executive that works for the same company as me but different department. I complimented it as we were walking out and things escalated quickly.

Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Kalashnikov » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:58 am

Well with Volvo topic being popular, back in college my student group was hosting a largest investment conference on the west coast at our school. One of our speakers was Ken Fisher. He was worth $1.5B then, $4.3B today.

I was sent to meet and greet him and get him to the auditorium. He was arriving by car, so I was anticipating a Veyron Spaceship or Maybach...he showed up in a beat up v70 volvo wagon. No security, no pomp... Parkes in regular spot and got his parking validation sticker. 😂

I was driving a black XJR at that time.... 😂

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:34 am

Kalashnikov wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:58 am Well with Volvo topic being popular, back in college my student group was hosting a largest investment conference on the west coast at our school. One of our speakers was Ken Fisher. He was worth $1.5B then, $4.3B today.

I was sent to meet and greet him and get him to the auditorium. He was arriving by car, so I was anticipating a Veyron Spaceship or Maybach...he showed up in a beat up v70 volvo wagon. No security, no pomp... Parkes in regular spot and got his parking validation sticker. 😂

Boom! Quality guy right there Kalash.

Those old V70s brick wagons have a cult following around my area.

DBJoe996

Post by DBJoe996 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:27 pm

Kalashnikov wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:58 am Well with Volvo topic being popular, back in college my student group was hosting a largest investment conference on the west coast at our school. One of our speakers was Ken Fisher. He was worth $1.5B then, $4.3B today.

And that is why he was/is worth billions! Keep it simple man....

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:35 pm

Stealth wealth is real. Opposite to LC500 executive is mint 1996 Range Rover executive and you just know that the '96 Range Rover executive has got LFA money, let alone LC money.