What did you do to/with your 996 today?

sweet victory
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: What did you do to/with your 996 today?

Post by sweet victory » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:17 pm

Got to put my lift to use this weekend. Finished the coolant expansion tank (tip: removing the fuel line supply and return line makes it way easier), replacing the coolant lines, water pump, and nearly the thermostat. Have to wait for Pelican to send a replacement thermostat...their catalog told me something would fit, and it did not fit. Probably will have to wait till Tuesday to get it. :x

Since I'm forced to take my time, decided to use my Milwaukee rotary tool and clean up the water pump casting. If anyone here has ported heads or oil pumps, same idea: reduce head pressure and clean up flashing. FYI: the one I was replacing was a Genuine Porsche; my replacement was a pierberg. The flashing and casting marks were identical. I was replacing the WP as PM, but found the bearing has a small amount of play in it. It probably just began to fail, as soon as a bearing gets any play in it, it will deteriorate at an exponential rate. Water pump was last replaced 55k miles ago or 6 years ago. Composite impeller showed no signs of wear.

Dgi 07

Post by Dgi 07 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:52 am

Went to drive it his weekend, no start. Starter clicks away. Some asshole in the shop disconnected my battery charger....
To be fair, the battery build date was from some time in 2011.

Took the Rover instead....
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 am ...an eternity of being sodomized by a giant phallus made of crushed, reformed ghost peppers.

EPiK
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by EPiK » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:03 am

Over this past weekend I took the high mileage 996 on a hi speed run up in to the mountains. Here's the kicker.. I just installed some Rennline solid mounts last week, and combined with the custom exhaust it was.. visceral. And highly enjoyable :D

I had the intake and air pump out to install the mounts, and when I put it all back together I have a MAF code.. umm 1123 if memory serves. I carry a KAL OBD2 scanner in the driver door pocket, so I reset it and the car drives fine. Every time it is restarted the CEL comes back on within the first mile or so. I reset it and the car drives great. So I tried to return the MAF to Rock Auto for warranty.. second time. It is an OEM Bosch BTW. They declined warranty, but said instead they will give me a full refund less $3.47 USPS shipping.. so $148 back in my account. So on that note I went the Autozone route..or tried to. My early 99 Cable throttle is not the MAF they have, and the Thanks20/Thanks30 code can't be used on it anyway.

Time was running short, and I had the run to the Tail of the Dragon looming so I decided to F it and go for it.. start car, reset CEL.. run the piss out of it.. repeat. So that is what I did all weekend. The car was brilliant. Friday night we ran from Myrtle Beach to Greeneville. SC (about 240 miles) I was chasing a 2018 WRX Sti with a radar detector and we made..umm..good time. He had to stop and fill up.. the 996 held strong and I had over a 1/4 tank when we arrived. I was amazed.

Saturday morning I topped off and we headed up to the mts. Ended up running the Tail of the Dragon, Fontana Dam, and all the surrounding roads. In one hour I was in TN, GA, and NC and back again. Came back down to Greeneville thru Bryson City, TN and Asheville, NC..350 miles round trip.. I had added about 3.5 gal after coming down from the mts that is it. We tried to run the Blue Ridge Parkway but it was gated off due to ice. I topped off Saturday night in Greeneville then we went to dinner and back to the house to bed. We rolled home Sunday morning, got home at around 2pm and I drove to work at 6pm Sunday night. Drove home from work in the morning.. still no low fuel light.. drove to work tonight, and as I'm pulling into the hospital, the low fuel light pops on. 296.5 miles to this tank.

Here is the point to this story
1. supposedly bad MAF.. clearing CEL every time I get in the car
2. she turned over 183k as I rolled back into town on Sunday afternoon.. original unmolested engine
3. I NEVER drive easy... and the return trip from the upstate was consistently 90+ mph whenever it was clear. (i need a detector)
4. this is the highest MPG I have ever gotten so far in this car since buying it in February..many road trips at lower speeds.
5. I love my 996 :mrgreen:

I'll throw a separate post up with the pics.. it was amazing.. and the 996 was perfectly at home on the mt roads...and I thought my G35 was great last year on the same trip.

I got approximately the same OR BETTER mileage running the mountains and twisties around them than I get on my commute.

YMMV ;)
Attachments
20181110_155237.jpg
20181110_153305.jpg
20181110_155103.jpg
20181110_130952.jpg
1999 Carrera 2, factory ordered LSD, GT3 wannabe and daily driver
1988 944 NA/AT to MT/Turbo project.. future Outlaw
2003 G35 coupe 6mt GT35RS.. other daily driver
2013 Durango R/T package with a 6er

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:43 am

Another 200 mile round trip up the coast from San Diego and back on Sunday...beautiful day, despite the haze from all the burning everywhere else.

Right now, I'm using a relay I pulled from the fuse box to switch my electronics under the back seat shelf, but in retrospect, it's over-engineered. I'll be deleting the relay and powering the electronics directly from the piggyback fuse holder I installed. I can use the switched power from the fuse box to drive the remote signal for my sub (the sub has its own fused 1-gauge cable from the battery).

I also need to add some silicone to the mounting hardware on the shelf...I'd been waiting until everything was dialed in to do any kind of thread locking and vibration damping for the mounting hardware...the time has come!

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

Water Hound
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by Water Hound » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:02 pm

Had a great drive with a couple of friends up to Mt Baker. Beautiful day and a bit of snow at the top to use as a personal skid pad. All in all a 300km drive and a really great time. The 4S ran perfectly.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Big swag mystery price winner and all round lucky guy

2004 C2 Cabriolet, Midnight Blue/Savannah Beige
2004 C4S Coupe, Atlas Grey/Black

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:58 am

How have I not had this all my life? Finally bought one off the truck on Monday and it filled 5 gallons in what seemed like a blink of an eye. Will be nice to take the 911 out this week; been feeling like a soccer dad driving around a 6500lb Tahoe.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:56 am

That reaction - why did I wait so long - is why a plasma cutter is next on my tool list. Sure, I don't cut a TON of mild steel and aluminum stock, but damn it would be nice to just blast through it without wrecking at least two saw blades and filling the garage with metal shavings.

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:02 pm

Which plasma cutter you looking to get? I worked as a structural welder for a few years during college at a ship yard. 90% of my cuts were made with oxy acetylene, but that remaining 10% was always done with a hypertherm.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:39 am

Probably a low-end scratch-start model - $250ish, 220V. I have a couple of projects on the wish list that I need to make clean cuts. My oxyMAP rig will cut steel, but it's sloppy.

I've been looking at some oxyacetylene rigs on Craigslist - people blow out their old rigs for almost nothing; you can get a half full bottle with a current stamp for the cost of the gas...

If I find a good enough o/a torch setup, is the plasma cutter unnecessary? Again, I'm looking at a low-duty-cycle cutter - 1/2" probably pushing it for anything harder than aluminum or mild steel...I just want to be able to make marginally straight cuts.

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:20 am

5chn3ll wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:39 am Probably a low-end scratch-start model - $250ish, 220V. I have a couple of projects on the wish list that I need to make clean cuts. My oxyMAP rig will cut steel, but it's sloppy.

I've been looking at some oxyacetylene rigs on Craigslist - people blow out their old rigs for almost nothing; you can get a half full bottle with a current stamp for the cost of the gas...

If I find a good enough o/a torch setup, is the plasma cutter unnecessary? Again, I'm looking at a low-duty-cycle cutter - 1/2" probably pushing it for anything harder than aluminum or mild steel...I just want to be able to make marginally straight cuts.
You mentioned clean cuts in your last post. You don't want to use oxy acetylene to cut aluminum. With steel, the iron is rusting away - the oxygen creates iron oxide. With aluminum, the oxygen would create aluminum oxide, which creates a very hard outer shell. (Think of an anodized surface) You'd basically end up with a very long, messy cuts with just blobs at the ends of your cut. It's technically possible to do - just like getting circumcised when you're 24 is...but it's just something you don't do. You can cut aluminum with a plasma cutter, but I think you need a set up that uses an inert gas - not compressed air. Cut off wheel or band saw is going to be your best bet for cutting aluminum.

Oxyacetylene can do everything a plasma can and more - throw a rose bud on there to for installing/removing bearings, heat up stuck fasteners, brazing, cut thicker material, etc. If I could only have one, it would definitely be oxyacetylene. It's something you can pull out once or twice a year and it will work every time. That being said, it definitely takes more skill to get a nice cut with oxyacetylene than it does with a plasma cutter and will produce more slag.

Be sure to get the proper PPE too - no flip flops and safety squints.