What did you do to/with your 996 today?

Battery Guy

Re: What did you do to/with your 996 today?

Post by Battery Guy » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:32 pm

gnat wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:43 pm
Battery Guy wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:12 pm Hopefully I did not get too many Raby Demerit Points for taking it out at 12 degrees.
He doesn't say don't drive it in the cold, but there are some rules:

1) Use the proper oil.
2) Do not let the car warm up by idling. Start it and drive off.
3) Keep the RPMs low (but don't lug) until the oil is warm.
4) Do not do short trips. The trip should be long enough to heat the oil up and burn off the impurities.

Really those are his rules in general though.
OK, so far so good. That is what I’ve been doing as long as I’ve been driving cars. Hopefully my oil is acceptable; my indy uses Castrol, but I change every six months. Maybe next time I’ll go to the super special stuff. We did open up the filter, and all that was in it was - oil. So that made me happy. Now I can sleep without dreaming of the 101 ways that a M96 can self-destruct itself...
D
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black
No Options!! (How did that happen??)

Astro
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Astro » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:44 am

I've driven mine for years up in the north with temps regularly at or below those temps. Unfortunately most of my trips are short, i.e 5 miles or less, but it hasn't been a problem. Just keep the rpms reasonable until the temp needle moves.
99 C2, 6 Speed, Artic Silver, Daily Driver

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:46 am

On Saturday, I pulled off the sport cats and reinstalled the factory cats (smog check due in a couple of months). Also replaced the factory cat-muffler clamps with 2" stainless strap clamps (holy shit, a decent part from AutoZone?!).

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:04 am

5chn3ll wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:46 am On Saturday, I pulled off the sport cats and reinstalled the factory cats (smog check due in a couple of months). Also replaced the factory cat-muffler clamps with 2" stainless strap clamps (holy shit, a decent part from AutoZone?!).
You must be getting pretty good at swapping cats. If the computer job collapses that could be a good second job career. :roll:

Hope you don't fail the visual due to the non-OEM clamps!
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:11 pm

The factory clamps were no longer working correctly - the inside sleeve was crimped, so the clamp leaked regardless of how much it was tightened.

Anything downstream from the cats is not classified as emissions-affecting equipment, so they can't fail me for the shiny new clamps. :D

I'm sure there will be new legislation later this year outlawing aftermarket exhaust clamps and limiting magazine capacity to 3 rounds.

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:29 am

Almost had a nervous breakdown. Waiting in the drive through, I thought I detected a ticking noise bouncing off the wall. Rush home and get underneath, all is well. I remember some thread on the other forums where someone was saying ticking could come from some coolant tubing, which I will have to investigate. But still, these cars make you nuts.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

Dgi 07
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Dgi 07 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:29 am

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:29 am Almost had a nervous breakdown. Waiting in the drive through, I thought I detected a ticking noise bouncing off the wall. Rush home and get underneath, all is well. I remember some thread on the other forums where someone was saying ticking could come from some coolant tubing, which I will have to investigate. But still, these cars make you nuts.
Lol, there is someone in Secaucus with a C4s with all manner of Honda boy stickers. Thought it was you until I remembered Ocean blue . Car I saw was silver.
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 am ...an eternity of being sodomized by a giant phallus made of crushed, reformed ghost peppers.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:28 am

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:29 am Almost had a nervous breakdown. Waiting in the drive through, I thought I detected a ticking noise bouncing off the wall. Rush home and get underneath, all is well. I remember some thread on the other forums where someone was saying ticking could come from some coolant tubing, which I will have to investigate. But still, these cars make you nuts.
Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid

Buffalo Springfield 1966
written Stephen Stills
Never gonna make you cry...

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:49 am

Dgi 07 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:29 am
Lol, there is someone in Secaucus with a C4s with all manner of Honda boy stickers. Thought it was you until I remembered Ocean blue . Car I saw was silver.
He needs Schnell's "Variocam" sticker. I specifically didn't want a silver car (no offense against silver) and ended up with the exact same color as my old 928.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:07 am

If I burn a few bucks and get a few "VarioCam just kicked in, yo" decals printed up, anyone else want one?

VJKIY.png
VJKIY.png (18.43 KiB) Viewed 2241 times