What did you do to/with your 996 today?

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: What did you do to/with your 996 today?

Post by gnat » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:08 pm

DTMiller wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:50 pm SO tempted to delete his post using my awesome mod powers so I don't feel as dumb as I do right now.
Heh. I figured I'd take the sting out of it for you by admitting I too had no clue :lol:

The really sad part is that when you made the post about it being parked wrong I thought to myself "it would have been nice if they put jump points in the engine bay too".... :roll:

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:34 pm

gnat wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:43 pm
justinp wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:36 pm

Could you not use the jump points in the engine bay of the 996?
Well crap. We've had the damn thing for almost 20 years and I never knew those existed. I can think of a few jumps in that time that would have been soooo much easier had I know that... :(

Guess who hasn't completely read the owner's manual... :lol:
Yeah, news to me too and I have read the manual. Obviously not close enough. Would have made it easier to jump when the electric seat was stuck in the moving forward position.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

justinp

Post by justinp » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:38 pm

I hope my reply didn't come across as snarky, that wasn't the intention. I know about those jump points because I had to use them the day I bought mine on the way home from the dealership. They had only put a splash of gas in the car and the low fuel warning light bulb was burned out so of course it sputtered and died right as I crossed a bridge looking for a gas station. Luckily I had a buddy following me so we got some gas in it, but then it wouldn't start because the battery was toast from sitting on the lot for over a year. Got it home and immediately went and bought a new battery that I religiously keep on a tender if I'm not going to be driving it for more than a day or two.
1999 C2 Cabriolet, RoW M030, super fancy unbranded exhaust

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:45 pm

Snarky is (or apparently was??) a requirement around here, but no we don't think you were being snarky. We seriously didn't know about this, so thanks (seriously).

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:47 pm

justinp wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:38 pm I hope my reply didn't come across as snarky, that wasn't the intention. I know about those jump points because I had to use them the day I bought mine on the way home from the dealership. They had only put a splash of gas in the car and the low fuel warning light bulb was burned out so of course it sputtered and died right as I crossed a bridge looking for a gas station. Luckily I had a buddy following me so we got some gas in it, but then it wouldn't start because the battery was toast from sitting on the lot for over a year. Got it home and immediately went and bought a new battery that I religiously keep on a tender if I'm not going to be driving it for more than a day or two.
I won't speak for those two, but things are pretty easy here. We laugh, we share and we don't have very thin skin. However, you do have to watch at least one of those guys...they are both mods and one will change your log-in name just for kicks and giggles! :lol: BTW Welcome! This is a good place.
Never gonna make you cry...

justinp

Post by justinp » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:49 pm

Thanks! I guess to get back on topic, today (well, yesterday) I replaced the driver's side radiator fan which was way more fiddly than I thought it would be. And I really need to clean up my wheel wells.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:01 pm

justinp wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:49 pm Thanks! I guess to get back on topic, today (well, yesterday) I replaced the driver's side radiator fan which was way more fiddly than I thought it would be. And I really need to clean up my wheel wells.
Does that require a nose drop or just the under carriage cover?

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:14 pm

IlPirata wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:08 pm
32wildbilly wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:47 pm I won't speak for those two, but things are pretty easy here. We laugh, we share and we don't have very thin skin. However, you do have to watch at least one of those guys...they are both mods and one will change your log-in name just for kicks and giggles! :lol: BTW Welcome! This is a good place.
No one needs fear such nonsense any longer. Adults are going to be moderating from now on.
Good it's about time! I was wondering if this was going to flounder under it's own weight, but now there is hope.

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:57 pm

I love this place.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

justinp

Post by justinp » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:08 am

32wildbilly wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:01 pm
justinp wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:49 pm Thanks! I guess to get back on topic, today (well, yesterday) I replaced the driver's side radiator fan which was way more fiddly than I thought it would be. And I really need to clean up my wheel wells.
Does that require a nose drop or just the under carriage cover?
I managed to do it just by taking out the wheel well liner. I used this page for Boxsters as a guide. Just take note of the position of the fan shroud before you pull it off, it was kinda tricky for me to get it back in the right place.