What did you do to/with your 996 today?

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Re: What did you do to/with your 996 today?

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:38 am

b3freak wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:37 pm Doc... love your new avatar. That's one SHARP car my friend! I think I really warming up to the dark green color.

Thanks, man! :D
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

Water Hound
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by Water Hound » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:59 pm

Had an awesome day at Area 27 Motorsport Park in Oliver, BC on Wednesday. Wow what a track! The 4S ran like a champ. Thatnks to Blake and crew with PCA Canada West Region for a great event. Made even better by having a herd of current Porsche GT3 Cup drivers on hand for instructors.

https://www.area27.ca/
Big swag mystery price winner and all round lucky guy

2004 C2 Cabriolet, Midnight Blue/Savannah Beige
2004 C4S Coupe, Atlas Grey/Black

EPiK

Post by EPiK » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:53 am

drove it home from work after praying profusely that the door would unlock with the fob since my door lock is fubar. Got home and ordered a replacement from DC Auto in Rocky Mount, NC..meaning I'll probably have it tomorrow for under $100 shipped.

my key fob is just flat worn out. literally, the cover of the fob and the little post on the inside is so worn that I have to crank down on it when pressing the button to get enough travel on the internal button. 20 yrs have taken their toll on this original key fob. All I really need is the cover for the battery.. anyone have a dead key they would part out?
1999 Carrera 2, factory ordered LSD, GT3 wannabe and daily driver
1988 944 NA/AT to MT/Turbo project.. future Outlaw
2003 G35 coupe 6mt GT35RS.. other daily driver
2013 Durango R/T package with a 6er

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:04 am

Got two envelopes from the Department of Motor Vehicles, one for the Corvette and one for the 996. Both cars are due for smog inspection.

*sigh* Back on with the factory cats...

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:56 am

Got reminded to not blindly trust your Indy :(

Been too lazy to change out the turn stalk module (at least partially because I only replaced the original about 2 years ago and not both directions are broken :x) so since it needs to go in for some other stuff I got a quote for them to take care of it.

$171 labor aside, they want $521 for what Suncoast is asking $345. I get markups, but that's ridiculous and beyond my lazy bastard limit...

Time to checkout our site sponsor I guess. Edit: Damn! they want $427 to Suncoast's $345 :(

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:46 am

gnat wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:56 am Got reminded to not blindly trust your Indy :(

Been too lazy to change out the turn stalk module (at least partially because I only replaced the original about 2 years ago and not both directions are broken :x) so since it needs to go in for some other stuff I got a quote for them to take care of it.

$171 labor aside, they want $521 for what Suncoast is asking $345. I get markups, but that's ridiculous and beyond my lazy bastard limit...

Time to checkout our site sponsor I guess. Edit: Damn! they want $427 to Suncoast's $345 :(
Pays to shop around doesn't it? Can't tell you how many times I seen invoices where the stealerships marked up parts. Fortunately, Hennessy Porsche allowed me to purchase my new keyfob online and they programmed it for $175.00. I've read where people pay over $600 for new Porsche keys. Ouch!

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:15 am

Yeah. I know they markup and generally I'm OK with it as they have to make a living too, but almost $200 is excessive.

They'll let me bring them parts sourced elsewhere, but other than engaging the stupid hex bolts to remove the airbag it is an easy DIY (clock springs don't scare me).

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:49 am

gnat wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:15 am Yeah. I know they markup and generally I'm OK with it as they have to make a living too, but almost $200 is excessive.

They'll let me bring them parts sourced elsewhere, but other than engaging the stupid hex bolts to remove the airbag it is an easy DIY (clock springs don't scare me).
I had a Mercedes indy who recommended a used transmission control unit for my previous car (S430) as he found one on ebay. I said sure, fine, no problem as the car was nearing 200k miles - why spend for new? Got the bill and couldn't believe what he charged me for the used part - it was high, but also an odd number, like $1,005.47. But I paid it without complaining or questioning it. Hmm, I says, he said he bought it off ebay, I could probably figure out what he paid for it. I found the exact part he bought (I could tell based on purchase date, feedback rating and the 6 month warranty he said it came with). He paid $100 for it, plus $5.47 shipping. That bastard marked up the part 1,000%, then added shipping. And it didn't fix the problem (it was the conductor plate, which I ended up fixing myself). That was the last time I ever used him - again, never complained about the overcharge or that they didn't fix the problem - didn't want to be "that guy". KC is a small town and with my connection to the museum, I don't want to go around pissing people off.

The kicker was that after I fixed it myself, I needed to have the warning light reset with a MBZ scan tool that I don't have. I called to ask him if I could bring it in for the reset, offered to pay, but he refused saying "I'm too busy". I called our MBZ dealer, who is about 1 mile down the road. They were happy to do it. Only charged me half an hour labor, plus pulled all of the service records and printed them out without me even asking just so that I could have a copy. Sometimes the stealership ain't all bad.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

808Bill

Post by 808Bill » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:57 am

^^I don't know but under those circumstance being that guy would be justified...I'd be warning others of the shady dealings of your indy! But that's just me (oh shit, I'm that guy) :shock:
FSI-R40

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:17 am

kcattorney wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:49 am
gnat wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:15 am Yeah. I know they markup and generally I'm OK with it as they have to make a living too, but almost $200 is excessive.

I had a Mercedes indy who recommended a used transmission control unit for my previous car (S430) as he found one on ebay. I said sure, fine, no problem as the car was nearing 200k miles - why spend for new? Got the bill and couldn't believe what he charged me for the used part - it was high, but also an odd number, like $1,005.47. But I paid it without complaining or questioning it. Hmm, I says, he said he bought it off ebay, I could probably figure out what he paid for it. I found the exact part he bought (I could tell based on purchase date, feedback rating and the 6 month warranty he said it came with). He paid $100 for it, plus $5.47 shipping. That bastard marked up the part 1,000%, then added shipping. And it didn't fix the problem (it was the conductor plate, which I ended up fixing myself). That was the last time I ever used him - again, never complained about the overcharge or that they didn't fix the problem - didn't want to be "that guy". KC is a small town and with my connection to the museum, I don't want to go around pissing people off.

The kicker was that after I fixed it myself, I needed to have the warning light reset with a MBZ scan tool that I don't have. I called to ask him if I could bring it in for the reset, offered to pay, but he refused saying "I'm too busy". I called our MBZ dealer, who is about 1 mile down the road. They were happy to do it. Only charged me half an hour labor, plus pulled all of the service records and printed them out without me even asking just so that I could have a copy. Sometimes the stealership ain't all bad.
clerical error (coughs) :lol: