What did you do to/with your 996 today?

theprf
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Re: What did you do to/with your 996 today?

Post by theprf » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:04 am

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:08 pm Damn, sounds good. I'd love to get my engine out to do all the things I want to do proactively. But the garage floor is a pitted mess, so that comes first, but then there are 10 jobs around the house before that, yadda yadda.

Envious of your setup. Where are the oil leaks coming from?
Everywhere, it seems... I bought a cool little endoscope and I can't see any leaks, although everything is covered with oil. I may have done it to myself by spilling oil as I found the leak just after an oil change. Except the oil filler on the Turbo is on the passenger's side and this leakage is on the driver's side. I also did one track day before I noticed it. This is after cleaning it as best I could. Quelle pagaille!
20200914_191303.jpg

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:15 am

theprf wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:04 am
OceanBlue2000 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:08 pm Damn, sounds good. I'd love to get my engine out to do all the things I want to do proactively. But the garage floor is a pitted mess, so that comes first, but then there are 10 jobs around the house before that, yadda yadda.

Envious of your setup. Where are the oil leaks coming from?
Everywhere, it seems... I bought a cool little endoscope and I can't see any leaks, although everything is covered with oil. I may have done it to myself by spilling oil as I found the leak just after an oil change. Except the oil filler on the Turbo is on the passenger's side and this leakage is on the driver's side. I also did one track day before I noticed it. This is after cleaning it as best I could. Quelle pagaille!

20200914_191303.jpg

I only asked because I'm not sure I've heard about an oil leak from anywhere other than the RMS, although obviously it happens. My 928 leaked like a sieve (right before I sold it you could see smoke come out of the hood gap), but the 996 doesn't pee anywhere thank goodness.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

theprf

Post by theprf » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:05 pm

I was thinking RMS too, so I have a new one to go in. Once I discovered all the oil atop the engine, I don't think it's the RMS any longer. The oil is leaking up top and running down. I There isn't really all that much up there to leak oil. I suspect the oil cooler or the oil cooler O-rings & gaskets. I will find out soon enough, at least I hope I can find it.

808Bill

Post by 808Bill » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:52 am

theprf wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:47 am I got the shipping notice for my $996 worth of hoses, O-ring, crush washers, etc. to fix the oil leaks for good. I also adjusted my MaxJax posts to 98" between the toes. So, it looks like I can't put off the engine out service any more. I'll be removing the engine, fixing the P1325 bank 2 cam deviation, fixing the oil leak, rebuilding the rear driveshafts, replacing most of the coolant hoses, adding a temperature gauge to the Tiptronic, cleaning off the oil mess, and probably replacing a lot more parts than I have intended to.
What does rebuilding drive shafts entail?
FSI-R40

theprf

Post by theprf » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:11 am

808Bill wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:52 am What does rebuilding drive shafts entail?
I'll pull the driveshafts off the car, dismantle the CV joints,wash the parts in solvent to get rid of the grease, inspect the parts to check for wear, brinneling, roughness, corrosion, replace the CV joints if they're worn, regrease and install new CV boots.

theprf

Post by theprf » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:19 am

And I will get to start pretty soon...
This took something like 10 hours to do, as I was trying to be very careful not to spill any fluids. Of course, I spilled plenty. If I had just said f-it and mopped up all the spilled fluid after I bet I would have saved 3-4 hours.
Next time I'm just going to get a kiddie pool and set it up under the car.

That Tiptronic is a heavy beast. I bet it weighs as much as the engine. Inital look without taking any of the 4,000,000 parts off the engine suggest leaking oil cooler O-rings as the oil leak source.

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:37 pm

Today was my annual physical and the weather was good, so I thought I'd drive the 996 and top it off on the way home because the weather here in KC is supposed to turn crappy very soon. Bad idea.

I took a shortcut on the highway to warm the car up faster, and the highway department was already out spraying their evil concoction of liquid ice-preventative-ice-melting-car-dissolving solution on the major highway routes, even though the sun was shining and there is a CHANCE of sleet late tonight and tomorrow.

When I got to the doc's office, their parking lot was covered with rock salt / ice melt from last weeks snow dusting. Unreal.

So on the way home after topping off with my favorite no-ethanol 91-octane, I went directly to the closest self serve car wash and blasted off the salt from the body, fender wells, wheels, and as far underneath as the spray would reach. Fun times in 28 degree weather.

At least now it's put away with a full tank and Sta-Bil just in case the weather stays bad for a while. Even if the weather clears, that salt/spray stuff stays around for quite a while.
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:03 pm

Einsteiger wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:37 pm Today was my annual physical and the weather was good, so I thought I'd drive the 996 and top it off on the way home because the weather here in KC is supposed to turn crappy very soon. Bad idea.

I took a shortcut on the highway to warm the car up faster, and the highway department was already out spraying their evil concoction of liquid ice-preventative-ice-melting-car-dissolving solution on the major highway routes, even though the sun was shining and there is a CHANCE of sleet late tonight and tomorrow.

When I got to the doc's office, their parking lot was covered with rock salt / ice melt from last weeks snow dusting. Unreal.

So on the way home after topping off with my favorite no-ethanol 91-octane, I went directly to the closest self serve car wash and blasted off the salt from the body, fender wells, wheels, and as far underneath as the spray would reach. Fun times in 28 degree weather.

At least now it's put away with a full tank and Sta-Bil just in case the weather stays bad for a while. Even if the weather clears, that salt/spray stuff stays around for quite a while.

I’ve been daily driving mine for the past week as the wife’s Durango is hard down, and will be for another 2 weeks (transmission). Anyhow, my commute keeps me off the highways. If we get precip tomorrow, then we still have 2 AWD cars so that I can leave the Turbro in the garage.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:39 am

Wanted to play with mine this weekend but the weather here is pretty shitty- freezing rain which means they will be dumping salt everywhere. If it washes off I may be able to drive it Sunday.
Daryll
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black
No Options!! (How did that happen??)

DBJoe996
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by DBJoe996 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:55 am

It is 80+ degrees and sunny. We have the AC on. Finally pulled car out into the driveway and washed from top to bottom, detailed the wheels and tires. Drove around the block and back into the garage it went. Looks beautiful all spiffed up. Happy New Year to everyone!