What did you do to/with your 996 today?

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: What did you do to/with your 996 today?

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:16 am

Today I dropped the window 1/2" before I opened the door because I still haven't done the driver-side window regulator.

Also, I am a tool and did not remember to remove the 986 stop when I did the passenger-side regulator a few weeks back - so I get to disassemble THAT door one more time as well.

The 996 is currently covered with mud, but I have not rinsed it down because I have a cracked coil pack and I don't want it to run like poo for the next two days (it's almost the weekend, yo).

Right now the key comes out of the dash either ice-cold or nuclear-hot, depending on the HVAC setting, because I forgot to reinstall the duct the last time I replaced that infernal ignition switch.

At least one microswitch is shot in my sunroof controls, but I learned to use my middle finger to depress the forward/back switches so I can communicate and transmogrify simultaneously.

I need to disassemble the rear deck shelf I installed in lieu of the back seats - my design was entirely structural and did not account for metal-on-metal vibration. Or I might just shoot some 3M Windo-Weld up in the rattly bits and see what happens...

I continued to ignore the precarious wiring situation in the front trunk, courtesy of the self-immolating design of the headlight wiring harnesses. The best technique seems to be to run without headlights as long as possible, so my nighttime canyon carving is only done by the light of the full moon. Aroooooo.

The plastic front fender liners continue to inexplicably shrink - their relationship with the fender lip is becoming tenuous. I have decided this belongs in the "Aero improvements" category and needs no rectification.

I have not yet diagnosed the source of the oil leak, but I have determined that the leak only occurs if the 996 has been sitting for more than 5 days...so I'll just make sure to drive more often.

Also, currently, the 996 is the reliable option between it and the Corvette...daily-driving antiques is stupid, but fun.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:29 am

What the heck is a 986 stop?

Sounds like you have a growing list of need to get done items.

Note most race cars don't run front fender liners so that might make that task easier. :roll:
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:16 am Today I dropped the window 1/2" before I opened the door because I still haven't done the driver-side window regulator.

Also, I am a tool and did not remember to remove the 986 stop when I did the passenger-side regulator a few weeks back - so I get to disassemble THAT door one more time as well.

The 996 is currently covered with mud, but I have not rinsed it down because I have a cracked coil pack and I don't want it to run like poo for the next two days (it's almost the weekend, yo).

Right now the key comes out of the dash either ice-cold or nuclear-hot, depending on the HVAC setting, because I forgot to reinstall the duct the last time I replaced that infernal ignition switch.

At least one microswitch is shot in my sunroof controls, but I learned to use my middle finger to depress the forward/back switches so I can communicate and transmogrify simultaneously.

I need to disassemble the rear deck shelf I installed in lieu of the back seats - my design was entirely structural and did not account for metal-on-metal vibration. Or I might just shoot some 3M Windo-Weld up in the rattly bits and see what happens...

I continued to ignore the precarious wiring situation in the front trunk, courtesy of the self-immolating design of the headlight wiring harnesses. The best technique seems to be to run without headlights as long as possible, so my nighttime canyon carving is only done by the light of the full moon. Aroooooo.

The plastic front fender liners continue to inexplicably shrink - their relationship with the fender lip is becoming tenuous. I have decided this belongs in the "Aero improvements" category and needs no rectification.

I have not yet diagnosed the source of the oil leak, but I have determined that the leak only occurs if the 996 has been sitting for more than 5 days...so I'll just make sure to drive more often.

Also, currently, the 996 is the reliable option between it and the Corvette...daily-driving antiques is stupid, but fun.
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:31 am

The 996 window regulators are a shared design with the 986. If you don't take out the 986 stop, the 996 window doesn't drop all the way down into the door.

What pisses me off is that I knew this but happily neglected to do anything about it when I had the door disassembled. Like when I last did the water pump - I initially forgot to loosen the engine carrier bolts. I need to slow down, assume my memory is garbage, and read the stupid manuals...

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:39 am

List.gif
List.gif (583.76 KiB) Viewed 641 times
32wildbilly wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:29 am
Sounds like you have a growing list of need to get done items.

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:42 am

Has anyone replaced the clutch slave cylinder and bled the system? On a scale of 1 to I-don’t-wanna, how tough is it?

Wayne Dempsey says it’s a piece of cake, but it looks like it’s tough to do with the engine in the car. My clutch pedal basically engages on the ground, I’ve got to get the pedal higher.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:50 am

So this is just more proof that our cars are just bastardized Boxsters.
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:31 am The 996 window regulators are a shared design with the 986. If you don't take out the 986 stop, the 996 window doesn't drop all the way down into the door.

What pisses me off is that I knew this but happily neglected to do anything about it when I had the door disassembled. Like when I last did the water pump - I initially forgot to loosen the engine carrier bolts. I need to slow down, assume my memory is garbage, and read the stupid manuals...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:53 am

I haven't had any experience with that job, but Wayne Dempsey probably has a garage full of qualified mechanics to do that for him.
OceanBlue2000 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:42 am Has anyone replaced the clutch slave cylinder and bled the system? On a scale of 1 to I-don’t-wanna, how tough is it?

Wayne Dempsey says it’s a piece of cake, but it looks like it’s tough to do with the engine in the car. My clutch pedal basically engages on the ground, I’ve got to get the pedal higher.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:24 am

As a guy who owns a 1996 Corvette, it seems inappropriate for me to comment about the relative merits of building sports cars from shared parts...
32wildbilly wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:50 am So this is just more proof that our cars are just bastardized Boxsters.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:24 am

This is all self-imposed, BTW - if I worked harder at PM...
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:16 am Today I dropped the window 1/2" before I opened the door because I still haven't done the driver-side window regulator.

theprf
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by theprf » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:32 am

32wildbilly wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:50 am So this is just more proof that our cars are just bastardized Boxsters.
Actually the 996 is a bastardized Audi TT mixed with a bastardized Mk4 Jetta with some Corrado, 964 and 928 parts thrown in for good measure. If you have a Turbo you get more 964 parts; if you have a NA car you get more Boxster parts.

All cars are bastardized versions of other older models, no way to get around it without starting completely from scratch (Tesla). I think even Honda now builds Civic and Accord on the same chassis.