What did you do to/with your 996 today?

Hatchetf15
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Re: What did you do to/with your 996 today?

Post by Hatchetf15 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:05 pm

Thanks to theprf and DBJoe, fixed the engine bay light without doing any damage or time wasting. Cheers! Procrastination was the best, almost right answer. Take that wifey!

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:37 am

Hatchetf15 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:05 pm Thanks to theprf and DBJoe, fixed the engine bay light without doing any damage or time wasting. Cheers! Procrastination was the best, almost right answer. Take that wifey!
What was the fix?
Never gonna make you cry...

Hatchetf15
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by Hatchetf15 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:59 am

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:37 am
Hatchetf15 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:05 pm Thanks to theprf and DBJoe, fixed the engine bay light without doing any damage or time wasting. Cheers! Procrastination was the best, almost right answer. Take that wifey!
What was the fix?
Popped the frunk to check if light came on (it did), cleaned the contact points on the bulb holder, checked the security of wire connections to the prongs in holder, and switched the bulb holder around to change polarity. The last one did it. I had removed the light when I put the new spoiler on and obviously put it back in backwards. Did not think about the polarity. Ta da!

JohnIreland

Post by JohnIreland » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:36 pm

Taking my wife for her first ride in the car tomorrow or tomorrow evening. Checking tire pressure, oil level when stone cold and then when warm, got out my car washing supplies and will give it the first one on Monday morning at the DIY car wash.

JohnIreland

Post by JohnIreland » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:23 pm

Gave it the promised wash. Wonderful getting up close and intimate with the car. Saw all the little chips and scuffs pimples and dimples that don't show up from normal walking around the car...all the things that say "yes, I'm 20 years old." I am so glad I ended up with a silver car instead of my normal bias for black. Just going down to the garage a day after washing the black car was torture seeing the fine coat of new dust that had already settled on it. After ten days of ownership, the silver car stil looked great. After the wash I took it up to Mulholland Drive but the traffic was too heavy with Sunday cruisers so came home and fine tuned my seating position and stored it into the memory. The local cars and coffee has been canceled until further notice and I really wanted to go to one just for the pleasure of car enthusiasts gathering in one place. I've also decided to get rid of the semi modern digital infotainment radio and get an original model without blue tooth or navigation or any of the other things I have no use for. I also won't have any use for the little microphone tucked away up behind the mirror, but I won't remove it if it requires screwing around with the interior. So another lovely day with the car.

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:35 pm

best-selling author, occasional Gitmo AirBNB guest, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant John Ireland wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:23 pm Gave it the promised wash. Wonderful getting up close and intimate with the car. Saw all the little chips and scuffs pimples and dimples that don't show up from normal walking around the car...all the things that say "yes, I'm 20 years old." I am so glad I ended up with a silver car instead of my normal bias for black. Just going down to the garage a day after washing the black car was torture seeing the fine coat of new dust that had already settled on it. After ten days of ownership, the silver car stil looked great. After the wash I took it up to Mulholland Drive but the traffic was too heavy with Sunday cruisers so came home and fine tuned my seating position and stored it into the memory. The local cars and coffee has been canceled until further notice and I really wanted to go to one just for the pleasure of car enthusiasts gathering in one place. I've also decided to get rid of the semi modern digital infotainment radio and get an original model without blue tooth or navigation or any of the other things I have no use for. I also won't have any use for the little microphone tucked away up behind the mirror, but I won't remove it if it requires screwing around with the interior. So another lovely day with the car.
What will need to be done to the car to keep it healthy? Did you get a PPI?

I apologize if you've already answered that on a different thread.

JohnIreland

Post by JohnIreland » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:35 pm

Didn't do a PPI...took the seller for his word on BaT...the list of work done on the car, and the receipts, are extensive. Am very happy with my driving experience to date. With the exception of checking that the wires haven't been cross connected on the radiator fans, it should only need routine maintenance. All the electricals and mechanicals are working perfectly right now. But there are always things that will crop up on a 20 year old car. The point is to just enjoy it.

JohnIreland

Post by JohnIreland » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:44 pm

ImageGot to take it a good "set base lines" run today. Up to Thousand Oaks on a modest freeway crowd. Alignment is fine, no need to tweak it, just got the tire pressure where I like it. Temps today were from 97 to 101 at noon on the way up...and 96 to 103 on the way home at 6 pm with much heavier and slower traffic. The engine temp was fine...right between the 8 and 0, moving up into the zero when the temp went up and the traffic slowed down. Looking forward to doing some night drives for comparison. The ride is very firm compared to the "normal" mode in the Alfa...and maybe even a little firmer than the Alfa's dynamic mode. But of course the Alfa has everything done by electronics so it is constantly changing. The nice thing is how tight the chassis is. No slop or rattles or groaning...really snug. Weak spots for me is getting my right foot to sense the throttle better under easing off the line, and the left foot better with the clutch, and the right arm needs more time and muscle memory as well. But gee does the car drive well...no vagueness in the steering. Very balanced. I've even learned more about the video game radio (from 2013). I've got my stations selected and the phone paired, so there is no rush to dump it, but I will eventually go back to a stock radio...if nothing else, for the looks. My wife enjoyed the trip as well. And maybe that should be the headline.
Attachments
20200811_142459.jpg

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:02 pm

How are you liking the C4 John? How does it compare with what you remember from the C2s you had?

gorogergo

Post by gorogergo » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:30 am

Yesterday I removed the top tension cable that runs along the side of the top and helps to tuck it into the grooves in the trim as it goes into the up position. Horror of horrors I didn't genuflect to the East and pray to Stuttgart, instead I went to the garage and pulled out the cable and crimps I bought at Home Depot a year ago for this job.
When I bought the cable, I assumed I had to replace it, but that time it was just that the nub it attaches to in the front broke off. That was fixed with an aluminum rivet. This time the cable finally snapped. Now the top doesn't bulge out slightly in one small spot when closing. All questionable bulges are now on my person rather than the car.
Mere pennies to fix, probably about an hour of time, much happier owner.
2001 Carrera Cabriolet