What did you do to/with your 996 today?

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: What did you do to/with your 996 today?

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:23 am

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:08 am There's an issue with the turn signal in our Audi so I've got to daily the 996 until next weekend. Gonna be a fun week!
Well...that sux!
Never gonna make you cry...

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:17 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:08 am There's an issue with the turn signal in our Audi so I've got to daily the 996 until next weekend. Gonna be a fun week!
If it was a BMW, nobody'd even know it was broken.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:01 pm

The thought "how bad could it be?" definitely went through my head. It's Vegas after all, they're a courtesy not an expectation. But the free pass to drive my 911 more was one I'll happily accept. Love that car to bits.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:50 am

Today I lost some coolant because who has two thumbs and didn't tighten the coolant cap enough last time he checked the levels? Pulling into the dog park a couple miles from my house and saw steam rising from the hood. I was able to tighten the cap a lot, which I thought was the problem but on the way home there was more steam, although not as much.

So, I waited an hour and added coolant. The good news is I didn't lose much (it never went under the MIN line and no low coolant light), car temp didn't get too high, and there's no oil or milkshake in the coolant tank or the filler tube. But I am worried because I thought I got the cap as tight as I could and coolant was still coming out. I am hoping that I've got it tight enough now and previously I cross threaded it or something. Or, maybe its not possible to tighten the cap enough when the car is hot. Taking it on a test drive the same distance in about an hour. Dumb.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:57 am

You know something similar happened to me when I was new a new owner. I changed from the old black cap to the new blue 04 cap and thought I tightened it down. First time I drove the car I had water spewing every where around the cap. I was home when it started so I let it cool off and removed the new cap and replaced it with the old cap. I reefed on the old cap with all I had and drove for several weeks without problems. I was thinking I had gotten a defective new cap. I examined the new cap up one side and down the other and I couldn't see any defects. Finally I changed back to the new cap and put it on as tight as my two hands would go. That over four years ago and no problems. I always tell people who are messing with the cap to make sure it is on tight, then go back and TIGHTEN it. Hopefully that was your problem.
OceanBlue2000 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:50 am Today I lost some coolant because who has two thumbs and didn't tighten the coolant cap enough last time he checked the levels? Pulling into the dog park a couple miles from my house and saw steam rising from the hood. I was able to tighten the cap a lot, which I thought was the problem but on the way home there was more steam, although not as much.

So, I waited an hour and added coolant. The good news is I didn't lose much (it never went under the MIN line and no low coolant light), car temp didn't get too high, and there's no oil or milkshake in the coolant tank or the filler tube. But I am worried because I thought I got the cap as tight as I could and coolant was still coming out. I am hoping that I've got it tight enough now and previously I cross threaded it or something. Or, maybe its not possible to tighten the cap enough when the car is hot. Taking it on a test drive the same distance in about an hour. Dumb.

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:06 am

32wildbilly wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:57 am You know something similar happened to me when I was new a new owner. I changed from the old black cap to the new blue 04 cap and thought I tightened it down. First time I drove the car I had water spewing every where around the cap. I was home when it started so I let it cool off and removed the new cap and replaced it with the old cap. I reefed on the old cap with all I had and drove for several weeks without problems. I was thinking I had gotten a defective new cap. I examined the new cap up one side and down the other and I couldn't see any defects. Finally I changed back to the new cap and put it on as tight as my two hands would go. That over four years ago and no problems. I always tell people who are messing with the cap to make sure it is on tight, then go back and TIGHTEN it. Hopefully that was your problem.
OceanBlue2000 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:50 am Today I lost some coolant because who has two thumbs and didn't tighten the coolant cap enough last time he checked the levels? Pulling into the dog park a couple miles from my house and saw steam rising from the hood. I was able to tighten the cap a lot, which I thought was the problem but on the way home there was more steam, although not as much.

The loose cap seems to be my problem but I remain an idiot. I get everythng tightened up and it seemed fine. I checked the coolant level cold and added some and didn't get it tight enough again. You really have to torque this thing. Anyway, new cap on its way.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:31 am

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:06 am
32wildbilly wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:57 am You know something similar happened to me when I was new a new owner. I changed from the old black cap to the new blue 04 cap and thought I tightened it down. First time I drove the car I had water spewing every where around the cap. I was home when it started so I let it cool off and removed the new cap and replaced it with the old cap. I reefed on the old cap with all I had and drove for several weeks without problems. I was thinking I had gotten a defective new cap. I examined the new cap up one side and down the other and I couldn't see any defects. Finally I changed back to the new cap and put it on as tight as my two hands would go. That over four years ago and no problems. I always tell people who are messing with the cap to make sure it is on tight, then go back and TIGHTEN it. Hopefully that was your problem.

The loose cap seems to be my problem but I remain an idiot. I get everythng tightened up and it seemed fine. I checked the coolant level cold and added some and didn't get it tight enough again. You really have to torque this thing. Anyway, new cap on its way.
Yep.

Optionman1

Post by Optionman1 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:18 pm

Drove it hard, washed it, and took this photo back in my garage.
Attachments
4C0B5613-0F74-4B64-ACCF-0CA0DC2806E9.jpeg
4C0B5613-0F74-4B64-ACCF-0CA0DC2806E9.jpeg (269.66 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
2003 4S 6mt Arctic Silver/Metropol Blue
2009 4S PDK Meteor Grey/Black FSI 4.0 Stage II

JohnIreland

Post by JohnIreland » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:16 pm

Actually my wife did it...she got my LG4 (a dated phone she handed down to me) to interact through Google and allow me to make phone calls from my car over the dated touch screen Pioneer radio AVIC-Z130BT (whatever that is) that was installed by a previous owner in August of 2011. After 48 years of marriage (this November) she has proved quite handy. She also fixed with wheels on the big rack in the dishwasher, and she got the head of the faucet in the kitchen to stop spitting and spraying. She deserves a dinner at Spago. And maybe some general worship.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:21 am

best-selling author, occasional Gitmo AirBNB guest, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant John Ireland wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:16 pm Actually my wife did it...she got my LG4 (a dated phone she handed down to me) to interact through Google and allow me to make phone calls from my car over the dated touch screen Pioneer radio AVIC-Z130BT (whatever that is) that was installed by a previous owner in August of 2011. After 48 years of marriage (this November) she has proved quite handy. She also fixed with wheels on the big rack in the dishwasher, and she got the head of the faucet in the kitchen to stop spitting and spraying. She deserves a dinner at Spago. And maybe some general worship.
Tell Wolfgang I said "Duh-Huh". He'll know what I mean :roll: .