What did you do to/with your 996 today?

Battery Guy

Re: What did you do to/with your 996 today?

Post by Battery Guy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:00 pm

Got my car today! Finally, after a long wait for parts and a tech to come back after a holiday vacation. Drove 50 miles or so around suburban Chicago today and had a blast. Too bad the roads here suck. Not much better in Ohio though. Everything works as expected, I now have a new IMS bearing (LN retrofit) so should be good to go for a long time. Now I get to chase down a few little annoying things although probably not to the degree that b3 has done with his. First item to track down are some new sun visor mirror covers, then the little plastic cover over the latch on the hardtop. Thinking about either a double-DIN radio with Apple carplay, or maybe just the Continental radio with bluetooth. I can make my son install either of those (mechanical engineer).
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black
No Options!! (How did that happen??)

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:06 pm

Battery Guy wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:00 pm Got my car today! Finally, after a long wait for parts and a tech to come back after a holiday vacation. Drove 50 miles or so around suburban Chicago today and had a blast. Too bad the roads here suck. Not much better in Ohio though. Everything works as expected, I now have a new IMS bearing (LN retrofit) so should be good to go for a long time. Now I get to chase down a few little annoying things although probably not to the degree that b3 has done with his. First item to track down are some new sun visor mirror covers, then the little plastic cover over the latch on the hardtop. Thinking about either a double-DIN radio with Apple carplay, or maybe just the Continental radio with bluetooth. I can make my son install either of those (mechanical engineer).
Awesome man! Beautiful car... go out and enjoy it. Lots of people are going with the double DIN radios. Unfortunately, the Continentals radios, while they look close to OEM Becker units, don't provide the same line-level pre-amp output to the frunk amp. You have to get a speaker-to-line adapter of sorts to make it work.

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:16 pm

b3freak wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:06 pm
Battery Guy wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:00 pm Got my car today! Finally, after a long wait for parts and a tech to come back after a holiday vacation. Drove 50 miles or so around suburban Chicago today and had a blast. Too bad the roads here suck. Not much better in Ohio though. Everything works as expected, I now have a new IMS bearing (LN retrofit) so should be good to go for a long time. Now I get to chase down a few little annoying things although probably not to the degree that b3 has done with his. First item to track down are some new sun visor mirror covers, then the little plastic cover over the latch on the hardtop. Thinking about either a double-DIN radio with Apple carplay, or maybe just the Continental radio with bluetooth. I can make my son install either of those (mechanical engineer).
Awesome man! Beautiful car... go out and enjoy it. Lots of people are going with the double DIN radios. Unfortunately, the Continentals radios, while they look close to OEM Becker units, don't provide the same line-level pre-amp output to the frunk amp. You have to get a speaker-to-line adapter of sorts to make it work.
Thank you! I will enjoy it!! Yes, understood about the Continental radios, but my understanding is that it will work in my car with the base stereo without any adapters. If not, I will just go ahead and do the double-din unit, they really are not much more expensive but will require more effort to install. It would be nice to have Apple carplay though - our GTI has that and I'm very impressed with how well it works.
D
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:29 pm

Battery Guy wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:16 pm

Thank you! I will enjoy it!! Yes, understood about the Continental radios, but my understanding is that it will work in my car with the base stereo without any adapters. If not, I will just go ahead and do the double-din unit, they really are not much more expensive but will require more effort to install. It would be nice to have Apple carplay though - our GTI has that and I'm very impressed with how well it works.
D
Does your system have the M490 amplifier in the frunk? If so, you'll need that adapter.

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:53 pm

b3freak wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:29 pm
Battery Guy wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:16 pm

D
Does your system have the M490 amplifier in the frunk? If so, you'll need that adapter.
Will check but I don't think so. I'm not kidding when I said no options - I actually have nice big pockets on the doors where the speakers normally live. This car was truly ordered by someone with non-human self control!
D
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black

wyovino

Post by wyovino » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:00 pm

Just for reference, Bergvill makes a plug and play harness to use with the Continental radio in a car that has the M490 option.

https://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/pr ... -m490.html

I can't speak for it as I still have my original CDR-220.

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:11 am

OK, car is now back in Columbus, Ohio! Drove it home yesterday from Chicago, weather ranged from OK to fairly sh***y. Car did great - really drove well despite most of I-65 and I-70 looking like something you would find in Mogadishu. Didn't seem to shake anything loose or break anything so will consider that a success. Now if there was a way to blow the trucks out of the left lane...

Now time to start looking for a few little items. Also question - the hard top squeaks like a b**ch, and it seems to be coming from the front. I'm familiar with old MB hard tops, which screw down in the front and the back. The Porsche hard top just has clips in the front and screws down in the back. Anyone else has this squeaking? Wondering if a piece of weatherstrip attached to the leading edge of the hard top will give a little better compression and quiet it down? Open to suggestions.

Looks like it will be in the garage for the weekend as we are supposed to get dumped on with snow tomorrow. Hopefully will be able to clean it up - it is pretty dirty
Daryll
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:35 am

Battery Guy wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:11 am OK, car is now back in Columbus, Ohio! Drove it home yesterday from Chicago, weather ranged from OK to fairly sh***y. Car did great - really drove well despite most of I-65 and I-70 looking like something you would find in Mogadishu. Didn't seem to shake anything loose or break anything so will consider that a success. Now if there was a way to blow the trucks out of the left lane...

Now time to start looking for a few little items. Also question - the hard top squeaks like a b**ch, and it seems to be coming from the front. I'm familiar with old MB hard tops, which screw down in the front and the back. The Porsche hard top just has clips in the front and screws down in the back. Anyone else has this squeaking? Wondering if a piece of weatherstrip attached to the leading edge of the hard top will give a little better compression and quiet it down? Open to suggestions.

Looks like it will be in the garage for the weekend as we are supposed to get dumped on with snow tomorrow. Hopefully will be able to clean it up - it is pretty dirty
Daryll
Daryll, my last Carrera was a cabriolet and I didn't want the hard top for that very reason. It seems to be a common problem with these tops. I know lots of people have put thick rubber weather stripping around the edge, but I wouldn't know what else to tell you. Good luck man.

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:44 am

b3freak wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:35 am
Battery Guy wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:11 am OK, car is now back in Columbus, Ohio! Drove it home yesterday from Chicago, weather ranged from OK to fairly sh***y. Car did great - really drove well despite most of I-65 and I-70 looking like something you would find in Mogadishu. Didn't seem to shake anything loose or break anything so will consider that a success. Now if there was a way to blow the trucks out of the left lane...

Daryll
Daryll, my last Carrera was a cabriolet and I didn't want the hard top for that very reason. It seems to be a common problem with these tops. I know lots of people have put thick rubber weather stripping around the edge, but I wouldn't know what else to tell you. Good luck man.
Thank you b3 - for better or worse this was kind of what I expected to hear. Will try the weatherstripping, if that does not quiet it down I will just pull the hard top, leave the soft top up and turn up the heat.
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black

Dgi 07

Post by Dgi 07 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:14 pm

Battery Guy, try Krytox by DuPont. We use it for noisy door seals on some of the cars I work on. It’s expensive, but works well!!!
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 am ...an eternity of being sodomized by a giant phallus made of crushed, reformed ghost peppers.