Oil Level Indicator on the Dash is reading LOW after Oil change

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Oil Level Indicator on the Dash is reading LOW after Oil change

Post by B3DAWG » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:08 pm

I changed the oil for the first time in my "new to me" 996 last Sat. Before I change it the oil level indicator showed all bars. I drained the old oil and put the some 9 quarts of 0W40 oil in it and turned the car on Sunday and the meter is reading 3 bars low. Huh? Is there a reset procedure for this or what? :|

Thanks for your help.

Oh, and the dip stick reads proper oil level.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Oil Level Indicator on the Dash is reading LOW after Oil change

Post by gnat » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:17 pm

In my experience the digital gauge is handy, but not to be relied on. It can be extremely finicky about how the car is positioned. If you're reasonably flat/level and the stick says you are good, then you should be good.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:39 pm

Yea, I'm thinkin' a good long drive in the car should clear it up? Thanks Gnat!

Oh, here's my filter.. pretty clean. I could see about 2-3 visible specks, but that's about it.

This image would make a great avatar. ha! :D
IMG_1178 (1).jpg
Attachments
IMG_1178.jpg
IMG_1178.jpg (16.38 KiB) Viewed 3951 times

pfbz

Post by pfbz » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:53 pm

Definitely don't chase a perfect reading on the electronic gauges... Get at least three consistent readings before adjusting?

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:28 pm

pfbz wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:53 pm Definitely don't chase a perfect reading on the electronic gauges... Get at least three consistent readings before adjusting?
Thanks man! At first when I turned on the car, I saw the oil level and thought, "Oh crap" I hope this is not a leak under the car. But look under, no drips or anything... dry as a bone. And so, I guess I better slow down and not shoot at anything that moves with this thing. :)

SealGrauWailer

Post by SealGrauWailer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:41 pm

you want the electronic reading to be taken on super flat ground, as opposed to "pretty flat, I think." Keep the oil level around midway between full and low to ensure you don't flood your AOS with errrl & cause smoky startups. If home doesn't work, try to find a spot that is flat that you can check the level every so often. Using the same spot to measure every time helps reduce the crazy readings. As an example, I get the 'low oil level' light when I get gas, nearly every time. It's just the angle the car sits at. I think the dash reading is taken in the front of the block, closest to the rear bumper.
03 c2 / imsS / drop links, spacers & sways / fisters, sport headers & plenum / console delete & 997 shifter

the artist formerly known as TonyTwoBags

texcwa

Post by texcwa » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:10 pm

My electronic level gauge reads 2 bars low when the stick reads level. I do not fill above the 2 bars low in fear of overfilling. Typically I loose approx 2 bars (or less) between my 3k mile oil change so I do not add oil between changes. "is there a way to re-calibrate the digital gauge??"
2004, C2, Manual, Atlas Grey w Graphite Gray Interior, Sport Shift, Sport Seats, Aluminum package, Bose Premium, LNE, Fisters, 19" Kinesis F110, PCA Member

pfbz

Post by pfbz » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:43 pm

^^^ ...as mentioned above, overfilling is potentially more damaging than underfilling... I'm not saying let your oil go dry, but as long as you have *any* bars above the min line, you are pretty much good to go.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:41 am

Thanks guys! I appreciate your advice on this matter. I put in 9 quarts and so I figured it would be good, but I haven't taking the car out because I have the console out for painting. Hopefully, I'll have everything reinstalled and I can take it out for a drive.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:23 am

b3freak wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:08 pm I changed the oil for the first time in my "new to me" 996 last Sat. Before I change it the oil level indicator showed all bars. I drained the old oil and put the some 9 quarts of 0W40 oil in it and turned the car on Sunday and the meter is reading 3 bars low. Huh? Is there a reset procedure for this or what? :|

Thanks for your help.

Oh, and the dip stick reads proper oil level.
What brand of oil did you use...?
Never gonna make you cry...