open hatch dash light stays on

DBJoe996
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: open hatch dash light stays on

Post by DBJoe996 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:36 am

You are going to have to determine whether it is the frunk latch switch or the engine lid latch switch first. It might be simple to find the electrical connections (plugs) and unplug them. The switches are normally open, meaning that 12V is supplied to the latch switches, and when you open the lid a path is provided to ground. When the lids are closed there is no path to ground and the dashboard light stays off. Find the electrical connectors, unplug it, and that may help you determine whether it is the frunk lid or the engine lid. Do one at a time. If you unplug the connector for the engine lid latch switch, and the light goes off, you've found your culprit. Same for the frunk latch switch. Re-emphasis...do one at a time. The front latch switch is accessible by turning the little plastic fasteners and pulling up the plastic tray covering the front latch. Two bolts accessible behind the frunk liner will allow you to remove the latch and inspect the mechanism.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:46 am

DBJoe996 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:36 am You are going to have to determine whether it is the frunk latch switch or the engine lid latch switch first. It might be simple to find the electrical connections (plugs) and unplug them. The switches are normally open, meaning that 12V is supplied to the latch switches, and when you open the lid a path is provided to ground. When the lids are closed there is no path to ground and the dashboard light stays off. Find the electrical connectors, unplug it, and that may help you determine whether it is the frunk lid or the engine lid. Do one at a time. If you unplug the connector for the engine lid latch switch, and the light goes off, you've found your culprit. Same for the frunk latch switch. Re-emphasis...do one at a time. The front latch switch is accessible by turning the little plastic fasteners and pulling up the plastic tray covering the front latch. Two bolts accessible behind the frunk liner will allow you to remove the latch and inspect the mechanism.

Brillant! When you said that, it reminded me of my old GMC truck was doing the same thing but with the driver side door. The switch was completing the ground and the light would say on. Replaced the door switch, and wa laaaa ... back to normal. :D

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:47 am

Thank you all for you help. I now have what I need to investigate further. You guys rock!!!!

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:15 am

DBJoe for the win. In your photo I didn't realize at first glance that both lids were open on the indicator light. I obviously only saw the frunk(enstien). 50/50 chance, if I was right, I'll do over-the-internet palm readings for $50/session.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

B3DAWG

Re: Found the problem

Post by B3DAWG » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:05 pm

As you guys so wisely directed ... I found the problem sensor. Opened the frunk, unplugged the power to the lock sensor and bammm... no more dash light! Bad solenoid? Guess the next thing on my list after brakes, will be to replace this part unless I can figure a way to repair it. Thank you all!!!
frunksensor.jpg

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:15 am

Got me another used sensor coming from my man Matt from Quality Porsche parts. Yay! Thank you all for helping me!