Light weight flywheels

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Light weight flywheels

Post by B3DAWG » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:44 am

32wildbilly wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:44 am B3: One question and one comment:

Was the white Jeep ElSchnell's?

Don't stop on the side of a busy road to take a pee over the guard rail.
Yep, actually it was he wife's Jeep. She had the accident while he was driving his 996 behind her... he saw the whole thing happen. ekkk... crazy. I'm glad everyone was okay. But the butt of her jeep took a bad hit.

And, thank you for the pee advice. hahaha!

B-ran

Post by B-ran » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:25 pm

But anyhow, I’ve heard many different things about the LWF. From doom and gloom to people who have had them tens of thousands of miles and many track days and no issues. And as far as the doom and gloom goes I’ve really only found that one post by Jake Raby. Any one here ever used them or know any one who has?
99 C2 Aero that had its fried eggs surgically removed by a previous owner.

SealGrauWailer

Post by SealGrauWailer » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:29 am

B-ran wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:25 pm But anyhow, I’ve heard many different things about the LWF. From doom and gloom to people who have had them tens of thousands of miles and many track days and no issues. And as far as the doom and gloom goes I’ve really only found that one post by Jake Raby. Any one here ever used them or know any one who has?
I asked my mechanic in CO to install one, he said he wouldn't do the work because it's not smart to install one on these engines. Broken crank is a possible outcome, constant rattling at stoplights seems to be a guaranteed outcome. If you're ok with a possible rebuild due to a LWF & years of listening to it rattle at stoplights, go for it.

Remember, un-good stuff doesn't always trigger a failure. But repeatedly stressing the crank over & above what the parts were designed to absorb is a curious way to approach a car like the 996. Draw between the lines when it comes to the powertrain imo.
03 c2 / imsS / drop links, spacers & sways / fisters, sport headers & plenum / console delete & 997 shifter

the artist formerly known as TonyTwoBags

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:02 am

Actually, I was driving the Jeep when we got nailed. Thankfully, I'm super-human and thus unaffected by such things.

Her sisters have started calling me "Superman." Because my ego needed that...
b3freak wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:44 am
32wildbilly wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:44 am B3: One question and one comment:

Was the white Jeep ElSchnell's?

Don't stop on the side of a busy road to take a pee over the guard rail.
Yep, actually it was he wife's Jeep. She had the accident while he was driving his 996 behind her... he saw the whole thing happen. ekkk... crazy. I'm glad everyone was okay. But the butt of her jeep took a bad hit.

And, thank you for the pee advice. hahaha!

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

Slakker

Post by Slakker » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:59 am

Most of the SP996 guys ran them without issue. I think their benefit is lost on the street through.