Plastic chain ramp guide thingies

B-ran
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Plastic chain ramp guide thingies

Post by B-ran » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:36 pm

So I’ve noticed some plastic bits in my oil filter over the last few oil changes. Nothing crazy, and sorry no pics right now, but enough that I know I’ll need to change the variocam chain guides. My question is, if anyone has had these replaced how much was the labor cost? I know the guides themselves are super cheap, it’s just that whole getting to them and all that jazz that’s a pain.
99 C2 Aero that had its fried eggs surgically removed by a previous owner.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Re: Plastic chain ramp guide thingies

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:43 pm

I guess the natural first question for me would be is variocam chain guides the only source of plastic in oil? IF you haven't already compared to pics online, like say, some other place, and self-diagnosed, definitely post pics so that the experts can verify for you that this is the path you need to go down.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

DBJoe996

Post by DBJoe996 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:09 am

My WAG would be an Indy labor cost minimum of $2500-$3500. Maybe more since some Indy's labor cost for just dropping the engine can run between $1200-$1600. The engine needs to come out and be dismantled to access the chain guides...well at least as far as access to the cams, timing chains, tensioners and such. It is a pretty invasive job, and you will want to probably replace the timing chains and a lot of engine accessories while in there. So your parts costs can really vary depending on what is replaced and how far you want to go. Add into the job possibly, if you want it done, new clutch/DMF components, upgraded chain tensioners, AOS, water pump, and of course new RMS and IMSB. With labor and parts I could see the total cost going into the $6000-$7000 range. Just my WAG....

Check out this DIY project and it will enlighten your perspective - https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/5 ... ent-279663

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:25 am

Your numbers are close to what I was thinking. Maybe even a bit higher on the labor costs if the shop is going by the book rate and drops the engine fully.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:24 pm

That's more than I paid for the better of my 2 Cayennes.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

B-ran

Post by B-ran » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:05 am

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:43 pm I guess the natural first question for me would be is variocam chain guides the only source of plastic in oil? IF you haven't already compared to pics online, like say, some other place, and self-diagnosed, definitely post pics so that the experts can verify for you that this is the path you need to go down.
Well since we know internet diagnosing is obviously the way to go, I mean WebMD informed me that I have not long to live when I put in my symptoms... but from comparing what I saw in the filter to what I saw online Is how I came to conclude it was the variocam guides. But I plan on doing an oil change today so I’ll cut up the filter and post what I see. Based on what others are quoting for the cost I may want to look at the possibility of trying my hand at dropping the engine and doing it at some point, assuming, of course, that the engine doesn’t explode in a fiery blaze of glory before that point ;)
99 C2 Aero that had its fried eggs surgically removed by a previous owner.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:08 am

Well you can talk to Cuda about what happens when chains don't run where they are supposed to... :shock:

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:12 am

gnat wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:08 am Well you can talk to Cuda about what happens when chains don't run where they are supposed to... :shock:
Yea, that was an EPIC thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/8 ... y-and.html

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:36 am

Not sure "epic" is how Cuda would describe that experience :lol:

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:10 am

B-ran wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:05 am Well since we know internet diagnosing is obviously the way to go, I mean WebMD informed me that I have not long to live when I put in my symptoms... but from comparing what I saw in the filter to what I saw online Is how I came to conclude it was the variocam guides. But I plan on doing an oil change today so I’ll cut up the filter and post what I see. Based on what others are quoting for the cost I may want to look at the possibility of trying my hand at dropping the engine and doing it at some point, assuming, of course, that the engine doesn’t explode in a fiery blaze of glory before that point ;)
WebMD: You should get screened for Multiple Sclerosis, maybe you're pregnant, maybe you need to drink more water... you know what? Go to a real doctor!

Good stuff. I am obviously a novice so I was just thinking the only thing this forum is missing is one of those guys who says "woah, woah, woah, I've seen this before. You've been parking your car on a hill, haven't you?"

^ We have those people, but I meant those people IRL.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic