While You're In There: Coolant Expansion Tank

wyovino
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: While You're In There: Coolant Expansion Tank

Post by wyovino » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:52 pm

Funny thing. I was going to order Zerex G-40 coolant online from one of the noted vendors. The price was $27.12 for the coolant but the shipping charge was $27.24. I'll be buying the unicorn semen from my local Porsche dealer for $35 plus tax.

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:36 pm

I will break with most people here, and say that using your regular Prestone or generic Supertech Coolant will do absolutely no harm to the car. I have yet to read any recent threads on German car forums that say that Generic coolant has had any adverse effects on their engines. There is a lot of hearsay and elitist remarks along the lines of "it is a Pcar/BMW/Benz and you should only use the best fluids in it", but no real hard data saying that "generic coolant corroded my engine".

I ran all of my BMWs, 996, AMG, and my Acura on generic coolants. Acura is now pushing 230k VERY hard miles, and car pulls like new. It uses exactly zero oil between the oil changes (now done with Supertech 5w20 synthetic oil), and coolant is crystal clear. Engine wise, TL-S was one of the most powerful fwd N/A cars when it came out, and engine still passes the sound test today. The only factory fluid that I use in the car, is the DW1 transmission fluid; as there have been tons of evidence submitted showing that car's transmission does not like generic fluids and needs the Honda fluid that contains special additives designed for Honda clutches.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/20 ... ive-review

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:04 am

Kalashnikov wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:36 pm I will break with most people here, and say that using your regular Prestone or generic Supertech Coolant will do absolutely no harm to the car. I have yet to read any recent threads on German car forums that say that Generic coolant has had any adverse effects on their engines. There is a lot of hearsay and elitist remarks along the lines of "it is a Pcar/BMW/Benz and you should only use the best fluids in it", but no real hard data saying that "generic coolant corroded my engine".

I ran all of my BMWs, 996, AMG, and my Acura on generic coolants. Acura is now pushing 230k VERY hard miles, and car pulls like new. It uses exactly zero oil between the oil changes (now done with Supertech 5w20 synthetic oil), and coolant is crystal clear. Engine wise, TL-S was one of the most powerful fwd N/A cars when it came out, and engine still passes the sound test today. The only factory fluid that I use in the car, is the DW1 transmission fluid; as there have been tons of evidence submitted showing that car's transmission does not like generic fluids and needs the Honda fluid that contains special additives designed for Honda clutches.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/20 ... ive-review
The previous owner of my 996 had the original OEM coolant flushed and put Prestone in it. These are the same jokers that installed an aftermarket sound system and K40 radar system by cutting and glueing everything together instead of properly mounting things the right way and using correct wire harnesses. Took me weeks to get it all sorted out. Fortunately, they didn't screw with the engine like they did the interior. The car is not leaking coolant and the temps stay at the 180F area as normal. yay for now. :D

wyovino

Post by wyovino » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:35 am

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:40 am

Using generic fluid and doing sloppy aftermarket installations are two different things. The equivalent hack-job for cooling system would have been bypassing one of the leaking radiators, and not telling you. Since you bought the car during the winter, you wouldn't know that anything is amiss.