While You're In There: Coolant Expansion Tank

sweet victory
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

While You're In There: Coolant Expansion Tank

Post by sweet victory » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:46 pm

Noticed my coolant expansion tank has begun leaking. Already have a replacement, and ordering some tools this week. Is there anything anyone would recommend I replace while I'm in there or have any tips for a smooth replacement? Will probably end up changing fluid while I'm at it.

Thank you ahead of time. :)

B3DAWG

Re: While You're In There: Coolant Expansion Tank

Post by B3DAWG » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:37 am

sweet victory wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:46 pm Noticed my coolant expansion tank has begun leaking. Already have a replacement, and ordering some tools this week. Is there anything anyone would recommend I replace while I'm in there or have any tips for a smooth replacement? Will probably end up changing fluid while I'm at it.

Thank you ahead of time. :)
Subscribed! Please include the DIY steps on this one with lots of purty pictures. :) Thanks!

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:35 am

I will try!

Trying to find as much info as I can before I start this job in 2ish weeks.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:00 am

What's the symptom of the leaky tank? If you can actually see the coolant on top of the tank, replacing the cap might be sufficient for the time being...

The revised part number caps are better than the original, but even the newer caps will start leaking as the seal hardens over time.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:59 pm

ElSchnell wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:00 am What's the symptom of the leaky tank? If you can actually see the coolant on top of the tank, replacing the cap might be sufficient for the time being...

The revised part number caps are better than the original, but even the newer caps will start leaking as the seal hardens over time.
Noticed it when I had my car on a friend's lift and saw coolant crust on the driver side headers I had recently installed. Said crust was not present on the headers that I removed, indicating it was a fairly new leak. Looking from below upwards, I noticed drips had also fallen onto the heat shield around the ignition coil. Looking from above, the top side of the tank did not indicate a leak from the coolant expansion tank. The current tank PN indicates it's not the latest revision and is discolored to where I cannot really see the coolant level through the plastic. Maintenance records show that the cap was replaced along with the water pump, and while not the latest revision, does not appear to be leaking. I wish it was just the cap. :(

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:12 pm

Sounds like you've got it properly diagnosed. 20ish years of heat cycling has wreaked havoc with some of the plastic connectors, clips, etc. in my engine bay.

RE: the "While you're in there" part of your post - if you haven't already done so, the plastic connector for the coolant line that goes to the AOS would be a great candidate.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

Sneaky Pete

Post by Sneaky Pete » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:28 pm

So......there was a post from this morning about what else to do and now it is gone. Wut Up Wit Dat?
Pete

PCA Member and National DE Instructor
2005 997.1S 4.0......yeh it's not a 996...so what!
2017 Audi Q5 S-line
2012 Ram 3500 Deleted Diesel
1964 Spitfire Racecar
1973 Group 44 Spitfire Racecar

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:47 pm

Sneaky Pete wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:28 pm So......there was a post from this morning about what else to do and now it is gone. Wut Up Wit Dat?
Never would've thought of getting a passport while changing the coolant tank. :mrgreen:

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:31 pm

2002+ cars require the engine to be lowered a little to get the tank out. On 1999-2001 cars you can get away with pulling the tank out without lowering the engine. I've done this on my 2002, and it was painful process. Lots of curse words were used.

While you are there, pay attention to the vacuum line fittings for the SAI pump, as you can accidentally crack them or break them and you will get the P0491&P0492. Also, get the special cable pliers for taking off the hose clams. All of the OEM claims are the non-worm types, so they are painful to take off without the special tool. Make sure that you also correctly slot the new tank, as it is has to "slot" into the chassis that it attaches to.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:06 am

Changing out the coolant reservoir on my dad's old truck was like a 15 min. job. Something that seems so simple turns into major heart surgery with Porsches. :roll: Can I get a witness?