Fender wheel well rolling. Good idea or bad idea?

Flat6BlahBlah
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Fender wheel well rolling. Good idea or bad idea?

Post by Flat6BlahBlah » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:29 am

Have any of you guys had this done? If so, are you happy with the results? And are some methods for rolling better than others? I'd like to know what questions to ask someone that's going to do the work should I choose to get it done. I'm running Pilot Sport 305 30 19's in the rear and I think 245 or 255 on the fronts. The rears just barely, barely make contact under certain conditions when cornering at speed, and it was really starting to bother me yesterday.

B3DAWG

Re: Fender wheel well rolling. Good idea or bad idea?

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:45 am

Personally, I wouldn't roll the fenders any more than stock. Have you thought about dropping down to 295/30/19 on the rear tires? That should help.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:38 pm

Is this on your 'bo? I read somewhere that all Mk.2 Carreras are rolled at the factory, I would imagine this is true for the Turbos too.

For your Carrera - 305's are mighty wide for an NB. Like b3 said you may want to go down to 295 or even 285.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:50 pm

My 01 came with rolled fenders..not sure who they were done by, but they did an excellent job. Did not know they were rolled until the first time I had the car on a lift.

My tire set up only rubs on the front with the wheels fully turned. Haven't heard a peep from the rear. Tires are BFGoodrich G-Force Rivals.

Front:
18x9ET44.5mm
245/40/18

Rear:
18x11.5ET60.5mm
315/30/18

Flat6BlahBlah

Post by Flat6BlahBlah » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:20 pm

This is about my 99' c2. They touch enough to barely hear something on the outside rear around corners, but only when you're really pushing it through the corner. It's enough to hear, but I really had to look to barely see where at the top outer edge of the top of the tread. I should probably chalk the tires and then drive it. Going down in width isn't going to happen. I'm going to have to go with rolling them. Maybe I'll be able to go 315 next time! These cars just look fantastic from behind with as much meat on each side as possible. My inner teenager knows this ;)
I appreciate the input, guys.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:39 am

sweet victory wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:50 pm My 01 came with rolled fenders..not sure who they were done by, but they did an excellent job. Did not know they were rolled until the first time I had the car on a lift.

My tire set up only rubs on the front with the wheels fully turned. Haven't heard a peep from the rear. Tires are BFGoodrich G-Force Rivals.

Front:
18x9ET44.5mm
245/40/18

Rear:
18x11.5ET60.5mm
315/30/18
Well, from what I understand, even factory wheels/tires will scrub on a Porsche 911 when the wheels are turned in deep. I recently read several threads from newer 911 owners having this problem with factory wheels/tires. But if it ever bothers you, then drop down to a 235/40/18. The 18x9 ET44.5 was well beyond the factory recommendation of 18x8 ET50, but it works, who am I to judge? :)

My front 19" wheels were scrubbing pretty bad and so I dropped from a 245/35/19 to a 235/35/19 and waaa laaa - no scrubbing. :D

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:16 am

Absolutely. It's a great way to find out if your car has hidden rust or some previous Bondo work...

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:19 am

I would install stiffer sway bars (anti-roll bars) front and rear before I'd roll the fenders.

Flat6BlahBlah

Post by Flat6BlahBlah » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:35 pm

ElSchnell wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:19 am I would install stiffer sway bars (anti-roll bars) front and rear before I'd roll the fenders.
That's an excellent suggestion. Thank you for that.
Great. More items on the to-do list.

And that photo is pure gold. I had a 240z in my late teens that I used that exact same method on. I removed the rear wheels, took out a hack saw, and cut slices into the inside lip of the wheel well approx 3-4" apart or so. Then I reinstalled the wheels, lowered it down onto a fairly small diameter length of pipe and had my friends push the car back and forth while I held the pipe at what I thought was the correct angle as it rolled between the tire and back of the wheel well. It miraculously turned out perfect. You couldn't tell unless you ran your fingers inside of the wheel well. Pure luck utilizing hillbilly engineering and the kind of zero common sense that can only be found between the ears of a teenager. Back then, I thought those 235/60 BFG T/A radials all the way around were massive. Bought those bad boys on layaway! ;) Funny, I'm still trying to stuff as much tire under the car as I can. The hair turns gray, but the inner teenager thankfully remains.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:23 am

The bat technique has been used to roll a whole lot of fenders - probably more than the legit hub-mounted rollers.