Tires, tires, tires.... ("shoes" to Schnelly)

Cuda911
Possum Hauler

Tires, tires, tires.... ("shoes" to Schnelly)

Post by Cuda911 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:59 pm

Alrighty then, we need a tire thread.

Post up:

1. What brand and sizes you run.
2. Track, street, or both use.
3. Price and source.
4. Your assessment.

For the track Boxster:

I am using Bridgestone RE71-Rs. Track use and autocross use only, other than driving to and from the track. Discount Tire. Forgot exactly what I paid last time, roughly $750 for a set of four. I will check my records later and update the thread.

Excellent tire, very sticky, great feedback, and predictable response. They are very soft and wear out quickly and also heat cycle out quickly. Don't expect to get more than a few track events out of a set. I've been through about 10 sets of 'em so far.

For the 996:

Retired the car from track/AX use. Street driving only. Hated the Pirelli P-Zeros that were on it when I bought the car.

The last set were Dunlop Star Specs. They developed an EXTREMELY loud and annoying drone as they wore. Would not buy them again due to this.

A couple months ago I fitted it with:

285/30ZR-18 SUMITOMO HTR Z III XL: $136.42 each from Tire Rack, plus shipping: $15.00 per tire. Then, of course, mounting and balancing at the venue of your choice. So far, have been quite pleased with them. Very good performance, no road noise, great price.
Mike

'68 Ford Custom 500; '70 Plymouth Cuda; '71 Ford Econoline; 73 Porsche 914 1.7, '74 Porsche 914 1.8; '74 Suzuki TC185; '86 Suzuki GS450L; '88 Subaru GL104WD Turbo Ltd Edn;; '88 Subaru XT; '91 Lexus ES250; '93 Jeep Wrangler, '99 Porsche Boxster, '03 Turbo VW Beetle; '03 Porsche Boxster; '03 Porsche Carrera C2; '07 Porsche Cayman, '11 BMW 328i, '12 Porsche 991 S, '14 Porsche Cayman, & a mishmash of other vehicles.

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Re: Tires, tires, tires.... ("shoes" to Schnelly)

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:09 am

I will be in the market for tires, probably at the end of this summer. I am an unfrozen caveman lawyer, and tires confuse and scare me. What's on the car now:

23535ZR19
295 30 zr19 with a small spacer.

I am leaning towards getting the same size, because as I've said, I don't know jack about tires. I had Contis on the old 928, and they seemed fine, so I am leaning towards these:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... mpare1=yes

Or, for a grand more I could go for the Michelin's everyone raves about:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... mpare1=yes

I appreciate any opinions either way.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:54 am

I've been running Ventus V12 Evo2's on the 996 for the past couple of tire changes (except for the Vegas fiasco, where I wound up with f'n all-season radials for the drive home). The original Ventus V12's were a disappointment at AX; under heavy cornering, the sidewall rigidity wasn't great. The Evo2 corrected this...I've been really happy with the tire for street driving and the limited number of PCA and SCCA events I've used the car for.

225 /40 R18
265 /35 R18

I'd been running Nitto NT555's on the Corvette for a couple of years, but the size I need has been progressively harder to come by (255 /45 R17 and 285 /40 R17). I switched to ExtremeContact DW's in the same sizes; while Car and Driver didn't have very nice things to say about the ExtremeContactDW's dry performance, it's the only tire I've ever had on the 'Vette that can take the 1-2 shift at RaceLegal without blowing the tires off.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:30 am

The Conti tires that came on it from the factory were crap. Ever since all it has had on it is PS2s. One of the more expensive options out there, but they have been an excellent tire for us since ~2001.

Heretic though I may be, on a C4 they aren't even terrible in sub-freezing temps with ice and snow.

trailbrake996
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by trailbrake996 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:33 am

I've run a bunch of different tires. Here goes with quick impressions for each.

Track (996 C2):
- Sumitomo HTRZIII - price performer. Crazy cheap, very predictable at the limit, loud on track, good in the wet. I call this the perfect "training" tire because you can easily find the limit of the tire and learn proper skills on track without too much grip masking bad habits.
- Michelin PS2 - N rated nonsense for track use. Good street tire, but underperforms the Sumitomo on the track in the wet and dry. Not for any track duty.
- Yokohama Advan AD08R - Great "streetable" track tire. Gobs of grip, priced similar to the RE-71r. Lasts a long time being abused. I bet only .5 sec slower than Nitto NT01s in my C2 on the home track. Directional so only flip them in the dry.

Street (996 & 993 C2):
- Sumitomo HTRZIII - perfect street tire. Gets noisy as it ages. Grip is crap below 40 degrees F.
- Conti Extreme Contact DWS - awesome all season traction...even in light snow. Great traction in sub zero temps. Super quiet, very forgiving, I run this in 17" size for street use and the added sidewall material, plus the "compliant" sidewall material really soften up the ride for highway/commuting duty. Would not push these tires hard.
- Bridgestone Pole Position S04 - A step up from the Sumitomo but not by much for street duty. Also have done one track day in these on my 993. I'd call these a mild upgrade over the Sumi's but for relatively too much money. Quiet on the street, good grip but not at all like a true high performance or track/competition tire.
2003 Arctic Silver Metallic C2
Manual, FVD Motorsports Oil Pan, X74, FVD 200 Cell X-Pipe Cats, Fister exhaust, low-temp thermostat, assorted LN goodies, Tranzit Blu HF

1996 Midnight Blue C2
Manual, PSS10, H&R Sways, Rennline Mounts, FDM Golden Rod

PCA Member & National HPDE Instructor

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:46 am

Put Michelin PS2 on my Carrera Cab, but sold the car soon after. No surprise... Great tires that cost a major arm and leg for the name and performance. But my current 996 cam with Kumho on the rear and Pirelli on the front. After dismounting the tires to change out the brakes, I noticed the Pirellis were dry rotting pretty bad, but the rear Kumhos look relatively new. And so I matched the fronts to the rear tires.

Kumho Ecsta PS91

235/35ZR19 Front
295/30ZR19 Rear
Last edited by B3DAWG on Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:01 am

C4S Bridgestone Potenza SO2-A. Stock sizes on stock wheels. Expensive. First and only set I've had so no comparison from me on other tires. Seems noisy to me, but then again...no comparison. Flat spots are "fun" to work out after sitting one+ week. Reduced the pressures a bit to make the ride better.
Never gonna make you cry...

Sneaky Pete

Post by Sneaky Pete » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:48 pm

I just purchased a set of track tires from a new source and I'm pretty pleased with the price and service. They are called Simple Tire. No affiliation. They carry over 300 brands. They are in PA so no tax for me. Every tire is free shipping. So I ordered some Toyo R888R's. Price compared at Tire Rack and I save $236!
Pete

PCA Member and National DE Instructor
2005 997.1S 4.0......yeh it's not a 996...so what!
2017 Audi Q5 S-line
2012 Ram 3500 Deleted Diesel
1964 Spitfire Racecar
1973 Group 44 Spitfire Racecar

Astro

Post by Astro » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:11 pm

225 /40 R18 front and 265/35 R18 rear in the summer with Hankook Ventus V12s
225/45 R17 front and rear in the winter with Blizzak WS80s
99 C2, 6 Speed, Artic Silver, Daily Driver

SealGrauWailer

Post by SealGrauWailer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:42 am

1. What brand and sizes you run. [Pirelli P-Zero (old), Michellin P/S A/S 3(current)]
2. Track, street, or both use. [Street]
3. Price and source. [Very reasonable, $700ish a set]
4. Your assessment. [LOVE the P/S A/S 3s, excellent all-around]

mk2 c2 with regular suspension and OEM Carrera II wheels:

Used to have Pirelli P-Zeros on it, they did well in summer but are atrocious when the roads are wet. Basically unsafe at freeway speeds.

Currently have Michellin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on (285/35 in rear, regular size up front). Good durability, great price, solid performance in the canyons and reliable traction in the rain. The sidewalls also fill out the fenders better than the /30 profile tires. Minor rub can happen when fully compressing the springs, but it's both rare and avoidable during normal use.
03 c2 / imsS / drop links, spacers & sways / fisters, sport headers & plenum / console delete & 997 shifter

the artist formerly known as TonyTwoBags