Flying Ducktail...

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Flying Ducktail...

Post by B3DAWG » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:34 pm

Kalashnikov wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:30 pm I found you a much better deal. All aluminium spoiler. Much lighter and provides large increase in down force.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Seda ... ee&vxp=mtr
OH my lawd, that's like the one from the BMW poser at work. :lol:

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:03 pm

Meh to the flying duck... It looks good down but kinda silly when it's up. If I were to go for a ducktail I'd just get one of the dedicated, fixed ones.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:23 am

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:03 pm Meh to the flying duck... It looks good down but kinda silly when it's up. If I were to go for a ducktail I'd just get one of the dedicated, fixed ones.
ducktaildeep.jpg
ducktaildeep.jpg (59.73 KiB) Viewed 2735 times

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:23 am

b3freak wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:33 pm
gnat wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:19 pm Where you getting a Taco for $4k? Last I looked it was $7k!
Not the pure awesomeness of the classic taco wing, but the Carrera II wing.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9 ... 02G2X.html
Meh. Looks like it needs some fried chicken, mashed potatoes with country gravy, fried okra, and sides of mac&cheese and ambrosia plus a gallon or two of sweet tea to finish it off. Yeap. That sure would make a nice picnic.

Fuck. Now I'm hungry :(

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:15 am

^^^Boy-Racer wing...

Do the aftermarket dudes test their wings for actual performance. I note the one just said "tested to make sure it does crack or break(brake) other things on the car." Wings/spoilers can make funny(not funny) things happen at speed if not designed properly. I know most here understand this, but I wonder about the unwashed masses who hang these things on the back of their cars then blast down the I-5 and wonder why they can no longer steer above 100 mph!

End of rant...
Last edited by 32wildbilly on Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never gonna make you cry...

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:18 am

I'm not a big fan of aftermarket spoilers, but I kind of like this. Just the right amount of different.

Any idea what that spoiler lip adds to/changes the downforce? I wonder whether it would be better to not have your spoiler extend if you've got downforce already via the lip.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:52 am

32wildbilly wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:15 am ^^^Boy-Racer wing...
While I agree that I don't like that particular wing* (and I'm glad no one in this forum has the exceedingly bad taste to have one on their car, especially on a .1...) I wouldn't call a factory Porsche wing a "Boy-Racer wing".
Do the aftermarket dudes test their wings for actual performance.
For ones that approach the cost of a factory kit, maybe. For the ones that are significantly cheaper, I wouldn't bet on anything beyond them slapping it on and doing some hooning.

Another thing many that install wings don't consider/do is deal with the rest of the Aerokit. Porsche specifically adds the disclaimer not to just install the wing by itself as it will cause too much frontend lift. You need the rest of the Aero bits. Even the obnoxious front "spoiler" that comes off if you even think about a speed bump is noticeable in the 80+ range (still completely controllable at least to 100, but definitely more floaty in the front than with it installed).

* Actually I don't dislike it. I just like the proper Taco better.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:51 am

gnat wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:52 am
For ones that approach the cost of a factory kit, maybe. For the ones that are significantly cheaper, I wouldn't bet on anything beyond them slapping it on and doing some hooning.

Another thing many that install wings don't consider/do is deal with the rest of the Aerokit. Porsche specifically adds the disclaimer not to just install the wing by itself as it will cause too much frontend lift. You need the rest of the Aero bits. Even the obnoxious front "spoiler" that comes off if you even think about a speed bump is noticeable in the 80+ range (still completely controllable at least to 100, but definitely more floaty in the front than with it installed).

* Actually I don't dislike it. I just like the proper Taco better.
Whatchu Taco-ing about Gnat!??? :lol:

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:01 am

I'd like to know more about the "road tested at 150MPH for days" part. Because bullshit.
b3freak wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:36 pm Yo my 996 brethren,

What y'all think about this product? Seems like one of the better ducktail products I've seen and they'll paint to match.

https://flyingducktail.com

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:06 am

I have that boy racer wing (also known as the factory GT3 rear spoiler). In addition to looking awesome, the ability to adjust the rake of the wing using the Porsche-supplied shims is pretty cool. The wing really keeps the rear end planted at and above ludicrous speed with 8 degrees of shim.
32wildbilly wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:15 am ^^^Boy-Racer wing...Do the aftermarket dudes test their wings for actual performance. I note the one just said "tested to make sure it does crack or break(brake) other things on the car." Wings/spoilers can make funny(not funny) things happen at speed if not designed properly. I know most here understand this, but I wonder about the unwashed masses who hang these things on the back of their cars then blast down the I-5 and wonder why they can no longer steer above 100 mph!
This hurts, man. :D
gnat wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:52 am(and I'm glad no one in this forum has the exceedingly bad taste to have one on their car, especially on a .1...)

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.