The dreaded oil filler tube

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: The dreaded oil filler tube

Post by gnat » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:44 pm

DTMiller wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:02 pm Too damn hot and I'm at the track Friday so prepping for that. Next week hopefully.
Damn it! Now you just sent me off to read about FATT.

I hate you. I fucking hate you! :evil:

EPiK
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by EPiK » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:37 pm

As done on my 1999 Carrera 2
I've done this job several times. The first was when the tube broke just after getting the car and RIGHT before I was leaving for Werks Reunion in FL. I pulled the now 2 piece filler tube, epoxy glued and gorilla taped it and reinstalled... ugly but it never leaked and lasted til I bought a new one and replaced it a month later. That lasted for a month until running errands one morning after work, the alternator mounting ear bracket on the engine broke, cracking the alternator and angling it so the belt cut thru my new oil filler tube. So I got to do it again.

The actual process is pretty straight forward.. disconnect the negative battery terminal. Remove the airbox. It may help to remove the throttle body depending on how large your hands are for getting to the 2 10mm bolts that hold the filler tube to the engine. Take a picture of the serpentine belt before you remove it..trust me..or at least draw a diagram for when you put it back on after.

Loosen the 10mm bolt that is holding the coolant hose fitting that always get broken and push it aside. Loosen the bolt on the alternator mounting ear (left side), and the pinch bolt (right side) that is on the upper idler pulley. Once you get the right side pinch bolt loosened a few turns, give it a few good whacks to slide the bushing in the back right ear of the alternator. Once the bushing releases the tension, pull the long bolt and idler pulley out. Tilt the alternator up and counterclockwise to pull it forward. Disconnect the plug and 13mm nut (this is the main reason you disconnected the battery..hot wire constant 12v). From there, reach around to the right behind the power steering pump and feel the base of the filler tube. If you have a shop vac, use it back here before you pull the tube off to make sure nothing dirty falls into the hole when you pull the tube off.

I used a 1/4 drive 10mm ratchet and a 10mm gear wrench to loosen and retighten the bolts for the filler tube.

Install the new o-ring on the new tube, and reinstall, making sure to snug the bolts and that the tube is fully seated in the recessed hole. Reinstall the hot wire and plug on the back of the alternator and set it back into place and tension the bolts. Install the 10mm bolt for the coolant fitting. Install the throttle body if you removed it. Install the serpentine belt. Install the airbox and MAF plug. Reconnect the battery.

Its helpful to have a telescoping magnet on hand, you will drop those 10mm bolts at least once before you get them started.
1999 Carrera 2, factory ordered LSD, GT3 wannabe and daily driver
1988 944 NA/AT to MT/Turbo project.. future Outlaw
2003 G35 coupe 6mt GT35RS.. other daily driver
2013 Durango R/T package with a 6er

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:44 am

gnat wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:44 pm
DTMiller wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:02 pm Too damn hot and I'm at the track Friday so prepping for that. Next week hopefully.
Damn it! Now you just sent me off to read about FATT.

I hate you. I fucking hate you! :evil:
Mwahahaahahahaha
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:05 am

Ok, that effing thing isn't budging. Any tips or tricks on how to hit that bolt to free it up? I was hitting a 2x4 long enough that it extends outside the engine bay so I can get a swing on it but it's mostly just denting the 2x4. Very tempted to declare defeat and just throw my wallet at the problem. I'm reminded of the 6 week process to remove my mufflers to send them to Fister and everything on the car was rusted solid.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor

theprf

Post by theprf » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:27 am

Your alternator bolt still? The one with the adjustable sleeve?

Hitting it through a 2x4 isn't going to do it. The 2x4 is absorbing the shock.
Try to use a very heavy hammer, like 2 or 3 pounds. Don't hit it hard, should not need to anyway. The weight plus the sudden stop ought to get it moving. Could also try some PB Blaster on the sliding piece first. If you need to use a spacer to hit it get a solid metal spacer.

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:32 am

theprf wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:27 am Your alternator bolt still? The one with the adjustable sleeve?

Hitting it through a 2x4 isn't going to do it. The 2x4 is absorbing the shock.
Try to use a very heavy hammer, like 2 or 3 pounds. Don't hit it hard, should not need to anyway. The weight plus the sudden stop ought to get it moving. Could also try some PB Blaster on the sliding piece first. If you need to use a spacer to hit it get a solid metal spacer.
Yeah, to be fair I haven't touched it in a while because TRACKDAY was coming up but there is no evidence this thing wants to let loose.
1997 MX-5 track car

808Bill

Post by 808Bill » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:43 am

Jack hammer should work ;)
FSI-R40

DBJoe996
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by DBJoe996 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:34 am

I used my trusty old brass boat propeller shaft that I picked up in my Navy days. Brass=soft but hard. The trick is to hit the thing as square as possible. You are just trying to move the rear bushing about 1mm, then you can wiggle the alternator out. I thought about using the 1/2" drive extensions I have, but could not find a way to square them on the alternator bolt and hold them there. And, hit it as square on the bolt as possible...there are many things that can break in there if you hit it at an angle.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:35 am

Every once in a while, I give up and take it to a professional mechanic.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Kalashnikov » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:08 pm

Man up DTM. Here is an instructional video showing how to properly hit that bolt.