VTEC Just Kicked In, Yo.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

VTEC Just Kicked In, Yo.

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:39 pm

Found this on the "Just Rolled Into the Shop" subreddit. Gentlemen... A NEW CONTENDER ARRIVES! It appears Honda K engines cause a spontaneous infection of emoji stickers... interesting.

t3_8aio94.jpg

Discuss.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: VTEC Just Kicked In, Yo.

Post by B3DAWG » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:03 pm

Not my cup of tea. I'm sure Hoovie will try to put one in another Porsche and turn up full ricer mode, but there are some things beautiful that should be well enough left alone. There is something great about the flat 6 motor and it seems we all can learn from Hoovie's Apolo 911 experience with his LS swap. Money pit! I'm sure the VTEC conversion is a little cheaper? At least I'd hope! :)

But with Porsche bringing the price of M96 replacement blocks down to practicality, I would rather put the real deal back in the car even though it doesn't measure up to today's sports car horsepower. But why is "Mine is bigger than yours" been such a poison to the performance car world?

For me, HP has never been the deciding factor - it's what drives sales, but it's just like all the sales gimmicks, they're just like the curl on a pig's tail, it doesn't add anymore pork to the pig!... (e.g. 4K Curved 240 Hz refresh rate OLED TVs or 200 MPH leaf blowers) :lol:

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:13 pm

Of all the LS swap threads I've read, I've never seen anyone spend much time talking about the balancing issues when putting a different motor like the Corvette V8 in the 911. Seems to me, one of the beauties of the Flat 6 motor is that it's design allows the motor to be mounted extremely close to the ground which promotes a low center of gravity.

Therefore, wouldn't these LS and VTech type motors not have the same center of gravity and thus affect the car's balance? Especially when having to cut the frame of the car to make them fit, wouldn't there be some real serious issues with the control of the car at high speeds?

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:17 pm

b3freak wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:03 pm Not my cup of tea. I'm sure Hoovie will try to put one in another Porsche and turn up full ricer mode, but there are some things beautiful that should be well enough left alone. There is something great about the flat 6 motor and it seems we all can learn from Hoovie's Apolo 911 experience with his LS swap. Money pit! I'm sure the VTEC conversion is a little cheaper? At least I'd hope! :)

But with Porsche bringing the price of M96 replacement blocks down to practicality, I would rather put the real deal back in the car even though it doesn't measure up to today's sports car horsepower. But why is "Mine is bigger than yours" been such a poison to the performance car world?

For me, HP has never been the deciding factor - it's what drives sales, but it's just like all the sales gimmicks, they're just like the curl on a pig's tail, it doesn't add anymore pork to the pig!... (e.g. 4K Curved 240 Hz refresh rate OLED TVs or 200 MPH leaf blowers) :lol:
This is the second time I have read about the m96 blocks...tell me more. On topic: Even though our cars are not rare nor super expensive I think leave the engine it came with in and replace in-kind as necessary. I like the one guy's signature describing horsepower, torque, etc and how it relates to hitting the wall. Now on the other hand when/if the zcar blows up there is a company out east that shoe horns in a V8 for a reasonable price, so...
Never gonna make you cry...

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:29 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:17 pm
b3freak wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:03 pm Not my cup of tea. I'm sure Hoovie will try to put one in another Porsche and turn up full ricer mode, but there are some things beautiful that should be well enough left alone. There is something great about the flat 6 motor and it seems we all can learn from Hoovie's Apolo 911 experience with his LS swap. Money pit! I'm sure the VTEC conversion is a little cheaper? At least I'd hope! :)

This is the second time I have read about the m96 blocks...tell me more. On topic: Even though our cars are not rare nor super expensive I think leave the engine it came with in and replace in-kind as necessary. I like the one guy's signature describing horsepower, torque, etc and how it relates to hitting the wall. Now on the other hand when/if the zcar blows up there is a company out east that shoe horns in a V8 for a reasonable price, so...
Don't quote me on this, but I was at Porsche having my car checked out and keys made. The guy at Porsche said that the 996 is officially in "classic status" and will start to receive special treatment. I'm not sure what "special" means... hopefully not like mental disabilities or something. But I see you can get M96 short blocks for as low as $6,000. (core charge applies) Complete engines are still in the $23,000 range. I guess it depends how you want it dressed out. I'm no expert on this, but this may be some good news for 996 owners.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:33 pm

M96 engine.jpeg
M96 engine.jpeg (403.45 KiB) Viewed 3291 times

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:45 pm

Hmm, did Porsche just deliver a swift kick to Jake's nards? Did the one year wait and $20k+ rebuild just vanish? Am I now back in the market for another Mk I aerokit?
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:10 pm

Good God. That's the automotive analog of Frankenstein's monster.

On the plus side, that Porsche owner has a whole world of fart cans to choose from.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:24 pm

Vtec crew checking in!

I see absolutely see nothing wrong with K swap or J32a2 swap in 996. Motor in my acura is worlds ahead of m96 in reliability aspect, and it sounds amazing at full tilt, factual statement..... Look up how many j32s are in 300k mile range with zero work. J32a2 with headers and Cai makes 300 crank hp(yeah, headers are that restrictive from the factory) , which is about what m96 motors make per liter. For those unfamiliar with J32a2 motor, you can Google it and learn more. Motor has dual stage intake manifold and very aggressive Vtec crossover at 5k rpm. In stock manual cl-s cars, 0-60 under 6 and quarter in low 14 is 100% doable. Mind you, it is a fwd car that's 500lb heavier than 996.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:30 pm

Not knocking imports...an EcoBoost would be just as off-putting. The M96 may be a turd, but it's the correct turd.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.