Wheel Nuts
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Why is the ignition on the left?

Post by Wheel Nuts » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:24 am

B3DAWG

Re: Why is the ignition on the left?

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:43 am

Good video. Lots of interesting cutaway shots.... great job! Oh, and beautiful car!

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:50 am

Have heard this before. Nice to know, but..."they" had the flag man stand on the track to wave the flags back then, as well. This was stopped for obvious reasons!

It is much quicker for me to jump in my car with keys in my right hand due to being right handed, reach up to insert key only to find no key receptacle where it has been for the last 50 years of my driving history. Then having to wait while my old brain processes what the problem and solution is to this dilemma. Switch hands, keys now in the left hand which is only good for picking my nose(did I mention I'm extremely right handed handed) and then try to co-ordinate the motion of inserting the key, figuring out which way to turn it and hoping my engine doesn't explode on ignition. This is all complicated by the fact that the everyday car I drive the keys stay in my pocket because it is a push button start...on the right side of the wheel where it belongs. Thanks Porsche!

The the cool air blowing on my bum is interesting though...
Never gonna make you cry...

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:18 am

I think it's just because they want to be different. hahaha Like SAAB... putting the key on the center console near the gear shift. :D

TheDeckMan

Post by TheDeckMan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:09 am

b3freak wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:18 am I think it's just because they want to be different. hahaha Like SAAB... putting the key on the center console near the gear shift. :D

Yep gets me every time, going from the TT to the Saab back to the 911 I am always like "F**k Keys in wrong hand!" :o
996TT - Widowmaker Project -RWD, UMW Tune, H&R RSS, Phenix Engineering Control Arms/LCA's, GT3 6 Pistons, SpeedTech 3" X-Pipe, Ported Headers, 997 GT3 Shifter, GT3 Buckets, GT2 Clutch/PP, GT2RS IC's, RSS Roll Bar, GT3 Brake Ducts, Joe Toth Aero/Ducts, Champion Thrust Arms
997TT - LSD, Chrono , UMW Tune, DSC, Phenix Engineering Toe Links & LCA Bushings, Tubi Race, 3" eRams, 964RS Engine Mounts
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC
https://phenixengineering.com/

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:17 am

Why does everyone have a remove before flight tag on their key these days? How are you you supposed to turn on your car if you have to remove it?

Wheel Nuts

Post by Wheel Nuts » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:54 am

b3freak wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:43 am Good video. Lots of interesting cutaway shots.... great job! Oh, and beautiful car!
Thank you. :)

sweet victory wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:17 am Why does everyone have a remove before flight tag on their key these days? How are you you supposed to turn on your car if you have to remove it?
It became a bit of a tradition for me that started with my 74 Camaro and I've been using with the every other car I had. Don't even notice the writing anymore. :lol:
32wildbilly wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:50 am Have heard this before. Nice to know, but..."they" had the flag man stand on the track to wave the flags back then, as well. This was stopped for obvious reasons!

It is much quicker for me to jump in my car with keys in my right hand due to being right handed, reach up to insert key only to find no key receptacle where it has been for the last 50 years of my driving history. Then having to wait while my old brain processes what the problem and solution is to this dilemma. Switch hands, keys now in the left hand which is only good for picking my nose(did I mention I'm extremely right handed handed) and then try to co-ordinate the motion of inserting the key, figuring out which way to turn it and hoping my engine doesn't explode on ignition. This is all complicated by the fact that the everyday car I drive the keys stay in my pocket because it is a push button start...on the right side of the wheel where it belongs. Thanks Porsche!

The the cool air blowing on my bum is interesting though...
A friend of mine told me that it was good because he was not using the hand that he used to wipe his ass. :)

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:21 am

Looks like you had fun with the video. The presentation was fun to watch too. Congrats.

The key placement always drove me up the wall with the 996 until 12 years in I bought my Cayenne. Even though I only drove it about every other week on average, you'd think after 12 years I would have remembered what side the key was on...

Still took me a few months of everyday driving the P!g to finally get the hang of it. Now on the extremely rare occasion I drive her BMW there is a good 10-15 seconds of me starring at the steering wheel trying to figure out what is wrong :lol:

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:40 am

gnat wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:21 am Now, on the extremely rare occasion when she gives me the green light, I put on my Barry White mojo, dip my head slightly, and give her the raised eyebrow signal in my eyes that translates, "I wanna drive you into galactic love ecstasy, baby", but then, I pause and for 10-15 seconds of dissonance, I can't figure out what is wrong with my ignition!
FIFY :lol:

Wheel Nuts

Post by Wheel Nuts » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:41 am

Thanks a lot. :)