Water? I don't need no stinkin' water

EPiK
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Water? I don't need no stinkin' water

Post by EPiK » Thu May 24, 2018 7:52 am

Let me explain.. running some errands in the 996 today I was leaving the neighborhood mom+pop hardware store, had just started her when there came a great banging and clanging from the engine bay. The rpms were steady and the idle was good if not a little higher.. I overcame the pucker instinct that comes from a clanging hi dollar German powerplant and shut her down to have a look.

Popped the engine lid and see the alternator kicked at an angle, the belt doing its best to hang onto it and keep it in line, but the damage was done. The mounting ear on the block snapped off. The good part is that it looks like this piece is relatively easy to replace..if I can find one.

I called for roadside assistance and was looking at a 90 minute wait. Keep in mind that I just got off from working all night and was having a hard time staying awake for my dental cleaning a few minutes before this. 90 minutes would not cut it.

I took another look, unhooked the belt and fired her up. Perfectly smooth idle. I decided I'm going for it..aircooled style. Luckily traffic was light and I made it 3/4 of the way back home before temps finally crested over 200 and I pulled over. Popped the lid again and was prepared to wait and let the light seabreeze do its thing. Just then a neighbor was driving by in his new car and swung in to check on things. I ended up shooting the shit with him for 10-15 minutes and by the time I assured him that I'd be okay and he left.. the temps were back down under 180 again.

I just pulled into the driveway with no further drama.. in fact she feels really quick with no belt at all.. :twisted:

I'll post some pics of the carnage once it cools down and I pull it apart. Looks like I'm in the G35 for a few days.
1999 Carrera 2, factory ordered LSD, GT3 wannabe and daily driver
1988 944 NA/AT to MT/Turbo project.. future Outlaw
2003 G35 coupe 6mt GT35RS.. other daily driver
2013 Durango R/T package with a 6er

sweet victory
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Water? I don't need no stinkin' water

Post by sweet victory » Thu May 24, 2018 8:31 am

Dang. Sorry to hear that you ended up with another thing to fix!

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu May 24, 2018 8:38 am

The world's most effective underdrive pulley...:D

Have you determined which accessory or idler was responsible? It could be the alternator, or the alternator could have been collateral damage when the belt tightened up ahead of another accessory like the water pump. If the water pump seized, a LOT of force would be applied to the alternator shaft. Aside from the crank pulley, the water pump pulley has a lot of surface area - over 180 degrees - of engagement with the serpentine belt.

I have seen threads in which the AC compressor clutch craps out and the compressor locks up, resulting in a crappy situation for the belt-driven accessories.

If you haven't already, test out each pulley and idler to see if one of them is seized.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

EPiK

Post by EPiK » Thu May 24, 2018 2:55 pm

I replaced all the idlers the first month, the wp is new as of last month when I did all the engine and undercar hoses. I did have the alternator out when I replaced the oil fill tube that broke. Getting to know this car really well... but that's okay, parts don't last forever, and she's running at 175k

I passed out on the couch posting this thread this morning.. woke up to a fedex pkg at the door (Thx!) and the pouring rain. Went out and shut the engine lid (OHNOES MY FILTER IS WET :o ) and went back to bed "for a bit".. and here we are, nothing further done. I need to tear it apart and figure out what I need to buy/make now.

stay tuned

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu May 24, 2018 2:59 pm

I hope the Durametric helps out with your ever-growing to-do list. ;)

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

EPiK

Post by EPiK » Fri May 25, 2018 10:45 am

Thanks Boss I'm sure it will.

I finally took the thing apart. Not only did the mounting ear break, but the brand new oil fill tube I just installed a few weeks ago was burned thru by the belt. So.. the new mounting/coolant plate is on the way..$120 for a 997 part, new oil fill tube is on the way.. $57 for also a 997 part. And I need to buy another belt which was also new. :|

On the upside, since it will be all apart I may go ahead and install the 3rd timing chain tensioner that is harder to get to.

yup.. G35 til next week.. at least I have it to fall back on tho 8-)

EPiK

Post by EPiK » Fri May 25, 2018 11:52 am

man this is getting muy expensiver.. just found out the back right ear (long bolt side) on the alternator is cracked also.

anyone have a bad old 996 alternator laying around that I can swap cases with? My alternator was tested good a few weeks ago so I'd rather not buy a new one.

sweet victory
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by sweet victory » Fri May 25, 2018 3:06 pm

Dang. Hope the threads for the alternator on the engine side are okay!

EPiK

Post by EPiK » Fri May 25, 2018 3:27 pm

the threaded hole for the mounting ear is fine, it's the other end (rear right when installed) that is cracked. Literally what I need is a dead 996 alternator that I can swap the back casing from and it will be good.

EPiK

Post by EPiK » Sun May 27, 2018 6:31 pm

posted on Pelican looking for a bad alternator.. no bites. Anyone have any good links for used Porsche parts? Its the only thing I don't already have on order to fix this latest issue.