Windows dropping

Post Reply
Brian Minson
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:23 pm

Windows dropping

Post by Brian Minson » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:17 pm

Both of my door windows will at random go down just a bit, then back up... then down again.. Microswitch? Is this a DIY project or take it to the dealer?

Brian :)

User avatar
gnat
OG (First 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 965
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:54 am
Location: If you knew, you'd move

Re: Windows dropping

Post by gnat » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:01 pm

Have you tried a system reset yet?

If not, roll the windows down by holding the button (e.g. not one touch) and then continue holding it in the down position for 5-10 seconds. Then raise the window in the same fashion. Finally roll them back down again and again hold the switch in the down position.

If that doesn't help my next guesses would be:
1) time for a new battery
2) ignition switch (weird shit happens)
3) security module

The micro switches are certainly a possibility, but having them both go at the same time seems a bit too coincidental which is why I suggest the other possibilities.

User avatar
Black-Out
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:18 am

Re: Windows dropping

Post by Black-Out » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:16 pm

Mine does this occasionally but it's only the drivers window. I also notice my interior lights come on when it does this. If I snap the inner door handle a few times it'll stop. I replaced the outer door handle micro switches on both just for the hell of it and because they're cheap. I'm thinking mine may be the actual door latch assembly, as there are 3 or 4 internal micro switches that control the window drop function as well......
William-
Current Ridez:
87' Dodge Conquest TSi
88' BMW 635CSi
89' Merkur XR4Ti
90' Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4
95' BMW M3
99' BMW 328i Sedan
00' BMW 528i Sedan
00' Pontiac Fire Hawk Trans-Am
02' Porsche 911 Carrera
08' BMW 335i Coupe
10' Mercedes Benz E350 4-Matic AMG Sport

wyovino
OG (First 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:32 am

Re: Windows dropping

Post by wyovino » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:24 pm

Black-Out wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:16 pm
Mine does this occasionally but it's only the drivers window. I also notice my interior lights come on when it does this. If I snap the inner door handle a few times it'll stop. I replaced the outer door handle micro switches on both just for the hell of it and because they're cheap. I'm thinking mine may be the actual door latch assembly, as there are 3 or 4 internal micro switches that control the window drop function as well......
If the lights come on at the same time it's likely the door latch. That's the mechanism that detects that the door is open. That is kind of a weird issue though. The usual symptom is that the window goes up again while the door is open and the handle has been released.

Brian Minson
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:23 pm

Re: Windows dropping

Post by Brian Minson » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:22 pm

When you open the passenger door, the window will go down, then back up fully. You have to pull the handle, shut the door then release the handle.... AUGGHHHH... Today while I was opening the passenger door to pull a suite case out of the back, the doors locked and the horned sounded twice on me! I don't mind it too much, but when the wife is with me, she gets grumpy with the window randomly going up and down... gotta keep the little lady happy...

Brian :)

wyovino
OG (First 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:32 am

Re: Windows dropping

Post by wyovino » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:09 pm

Brian Minson wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:22 pm
When you open the passenger door, the window will go down, then back up fully. You have to pull the handle, shut the door then release the handle....
That's a classic symptom of a bad door latch.

User avatar
Black-Out
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:18 am

Re: Windows dropping

Post by Black-Out » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:13 pm

wyovino wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:24 pm
Black-Out wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:16 pm
Mine does this occasionally but it's only the drivers window. I also notice my interior lights come on when it does this. If I snap the inner door handle a few times it'll stop. I replaced the outer door handle micro switches on both just for the hell of it and because they're cheap. I'm thinking mine may be the actual door latch assembly, as there are 3 or 4 internal micro switches that control the window drop function as well......
If the lights come on at the same time it's likely the door latch. That's the mechanism that detects that the door is open. That is kind of a weird issue though. The usual symptom is that the window goes up again while the door is open and the handle has been released.
Trust me there was a lot of silly little things wrong with my 911, I just checked for a strong engine and trans and was pleasantly surprised with the way it ran...She pulled like a freight train so I forgave it for having a crappy previous owner, and started immediately fixing the minor/stupid/annoying things on the car. Almost got it completely sorted out in that department.... The next plan is to go to coil overs, another set of wheels, I already picked up a quick release from Momo and a wheel... maybe see about a tune and an exhaust and I'll be happy. Still up in the air on the exhaust though. I do enjoy it being quiet when I want to cruise. The window issue is just the last of the little annoying stupid issues that the previous owner neglected due to being a cheap ass that should've had a Carolla Not a 996..... :roll:
William-
Current Ridez:
87' Dodge Conquest TSi
88' BMW 635CSi
89' Merkur XR4Ti
90' Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4
95' BMW M3
99' BMW 328i Sedan
00' BMW 528i Sedan
00' Pontiac Fire Hawk Trans-Am
02' Porsche 911 Carrera
08' BMW 335i Coupe
10' Mercedes Benz E350 4-Matic AMG Sport

Post Reply