Why are our engines so expensive?

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Why are our engines so expensive?

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:55 am

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:56 am Backup switch from Pelican:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/ ... SVSVSI=901 ($44 bucks)

Backup switch from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0066 ... UTF8&psc=1 ($12.57)

Not to rag on Pelican, as the backup switch is more expensive elsewhere for the genuine Porsche part, but come on.

I'd agree that our engines (and some parts) are expensive because race-derived anything is expensive. But there's no reason for a simple electrical switch to be almost $50 when I can get it elsewhere for $12. As owners, it is assumed we both have money to burn and will spend it on genuine Porsche parts in all cases.
or this one WH33 $10.35 -outpost discount!
https://www.warehouse33auto.com/FACET/85/996-606-103-01
Never gonna make you cry...

Black-Out
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by Black-Out » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:44 pm

[/quote]
In the market for a new Type R(I know DT "Butt-ugly") but interestingly fast and fun to drive. I would dump the 996 but can't. I'm either going to build another garage or store something. The wife says no more in the driveway. Cars are additive.
[/quote]

Can't blame you for wanting one of those. They're nice. Not sure I would dump the 996 though. I like your car.......OK I'm totally biased...lol But no really I just don't think I can go without having a 911 in my life after finally having gotten fortunate enough to afford one.That said, my wife hasn't put me out of the house yet, but I'm sure by now she's thinking about it. My son and I just bought a B5 Audi S4 Twin Turbo..... this now makes for number 12....... I am now considering counseling for my automotive hoarding/fetish issues.....
William-
Current Ridez:
87' Dodge Conquest TSi
88' BMW 635CSi
89' Merkur XR4Ti
90' Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4
95' BMW M3
99' BMW 328i Sedan
00' BMW 528i Sedan
00' Pontiac Fire Hawk Trans-Am
01' Audi S4 Twin Turbo
02' Porsche 911 Carrera
08' BMW 335i Coupe
10' Mercedes Benz E350 4-Matic AMG Sport

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:01 am

Black-Out wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:44 pm That said, my wife hasn't put me out of the house yet, but I'm sure by now she's thinking about it. My son and I just bought a B5 Audi S4 Twin Turbo..... this now makes for number 12....... I am now considering counseling for my automotive hoarding/fetish issues.....
That can definitely be a disease. Although I spend a lot of time looking for my next purchase and I definitely have my eye on a couple of different models to add to the stable (X1/9 and/or a 914), I adopted a new mindset in the past year that has slowed down my "buy another car" lust:

I'm not buying another vehicle until I fix all of the little crap on my existing hooptie fleet that drives me nuts. (repeat that 3 times)

Not saying that I have to make them concours condition, because they'll still be "drivers", but the obvious stuff needs to be addressed before I adopt another car.
So, no 914 until the trim piece below the driver's door on the 325i convertible gets reattached (the mounting clips are broken, so not a quick & simple fix that's apparent).
And the brake pad warning light on the same car (the wiring to the pad sensor is broken between the differential and the right rear wheel, which will take some figurin' on how to fix).
Oh, and the windshield washers need to be fixed on that car (not just a washer pump - looks like I need to run new washer hose from the reservoirs to the nozzles).
And, the aftermarket stereo that I had installed about 10 years ago needs the mount adjusted because it has worked loose.
And the glovebox hinges are broken.
And the trunk struts need to be replaced because the trunk lid won't stay up.
And the paint needs to be touched up in about 5 or 6 places.
And it is overdue for a timing belt.

Next let's talk about all of the little projects on the 951.
Then, let's go over the list on the 928. :o
And then the 996TT.
Oh, and my wife's 955S has a "to do" list as well.

So, once you start thinking about dealing with all of the little issues on your existing cars, it acts like a cold shower on that "buy another car" lust. When I'm retired, yeah, maybe then because I'm trying to find stuff to keep myself busy. But, at the moment, I've got enough on my plate without having another mouth to feed in the already full garage.

(still, if the right deal came along . . . )
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:31 pm

Black-Out wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:44 pm That said, my wife hasn't put me out of the house yet, but I'm sure by now she's thinking about it. My son and I just bought a B5 Audi S4 Twin Turbo..... this now makes for number 12....... I am now considering counseling for my automotive hoarding/fetish issues.....

B5 S4's are *drrooooooool*. I absolutely love German cars from that era, not just the 996.

As for counseling*, let's practice a little grounding technique. Say this with me:

I can feel my feet on the ground.
I can feel the wind on my face.
I can feel my hands on the keys.
I can feel the keys go into the ignition.
I can feel my hands on the steering wheel and shifter.
I can feel my feet on the pedals.
I can hear the engine rev up.
I can smell the exhaust.
I can feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

... Am I doing this right?

*I am in no way whatsoever a counselor.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:44 pm

FRUNKenstein wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:01 am
That can definitely be a disease. Although I spend a lot of time looking for my next purchase and I definitely have my eye on a couple of different models to add to the stable (X1/9 and/or a 914), I adopted a new mindset in the past year that has slowed down my "buy another car" lust:

I'm not buying another vehicle until I fix all of the little crap on my existing hooptie fleet that drives me nuts. (repeat that 3 times)

Not saying that I have to make them concours condition, because they'll still be "drivers", but the obvious stuff needs to be addressed before I adopt another car.
So, no 914 until the trim piece below the driver's door on the 325i convertible gets reattached (the mounting clips are broken, so not a quick & simple fix that's apparent).
And the brake pad warning light on the same car (the wiring to the pad sensor is broken between the differential and the right rear wheel, which will take some figurin' on how to fix).
Oh, and the windshield washers need to be fixed on that car (not just a washer pump - looks like I need to run new washer hose from the reservoirs to the nozzles).
And, the aftermarket stereo that I had installed about 10 years ago needs the mount adjusted because it has worked loose.

And then the 996TT.

So, once you start thinking about dealing with all of the little issues on your existing cars, it acts like a cold shower on that "buy another car" lust. When I'm retired, yeah, maybe then because I'm trying to find stuff to keep myself busy. But, at the moment, I've got enough on my plate without having another mouth to feed in the already full garage.

What happened to the Audi(?) you were so proud of and happy with? Did you dump it?
Never gonna make you cry...

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:43 pm

That's my weekend project - get it ready to sell. I'll try to sell it on Craigslist first, but if it doesn't sell there in a couple of weeks, I'll run it through the auction.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

Black-Out

Post by Black-Out » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:56 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:31 pm

B5 S4's are *drrooooooool*. I absolutely love German cars from that era, not just the 996.

As for counseling*, let's practice a little grounding technique. Say this with me:

I can feel my feet on the ground.
I can feel the wind on my face.
I can feel my hands on the keys.
I can feel the keys go into the ignition.
I can feel my hands on the steering wheel and shifter.
I can feel my feet on the pedals.
I can hear the engine rev up.
I can smell the exhaust.
I can feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

... Am I doing this right?

*I am in no way whatsoever a counselor.

Ah, son-of-a-bitch................Now I gotta buy an E31 850i with a 6 speed manual..... :shock: your grounding technique sucks! it has done nothing but force me to start moving cars to the back yard........

All jokes aside though I had an UR S4 (93 model) 1rst of the S4 lineage. Loved that thing with it's unique sounding 2.3 liter 5 cylinder 20 valve Turbocharged engine. It was externally waste gated and everything. they were way under rated and surprisingly smooth. I should've kept it. I'd love to have it and the UR Quattro GT as well as the aforementioned E31...... I guess I fancy my self a broke ass Jay Leno, cause I just can't help myself, I'm addicted to the cars I lusted after as a kid..... :D
William-
Current Ridez:
87' Dodge Conquest TSi
88' BMW 635CSi
89' Merkur XR4Ti
95' BMW M3
99' BMW 328i Sedan
00' BMW 528i Sedan
01' Audi S4 Twin Turbo
02' Porsche 911 Carrera
08' BMW 335i Coupe
10' Mercedes Benz E350 4-Matic AMG Sport

Black-Out

Post by Black-Out » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:14 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:44 pm
FRUNKenstein wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:01 am

And then the 996TT.

What happened to the Audi(?) you were so proud of and happy with? Did you dump it?

If you're referring to the S4 we still have it. Been working on it a little here and a little there. I'll be polishing it soon and we are looking for a replacement front bumper to toss on it, since the one that came with it is damaged. Considering picking up an RS4 Avant front bumper and just rolling with that sense it's more aggressive than the factory unit.
William-
Current Ridez:
87' Dodge Conquest TSi
88' BMW 635CSi
89' Merkur XR4Ti
95' BMW M3
99' BMW 328i Sedan
00' BMW 528i Sedan
01' Audi S4 Twin Turbo
02' Porsche 911 Carrera