Why are our engines so expensive?

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Why are our engines so expensive?

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:14 am

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/BluePrin ... ent=engine

Completely built long block 383 c.i. 420 h.p. 450 ft. lbs. tor. 30month/50k warrantee for $3,900!

I don't understand...
Never gonna make you cry...

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Re: Why are our engines so expensive?

Post by FRUNKenstein » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:48 am

No unicorn semen.

Hey, I know that Speedway place. Have you ever been to their museum? If you haven't, you should run down the street to see it. Freakin' amazing place, about 150,000 sq ft museum. I got to meet Speedy Bill before he passed away.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Kalashnikov » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:34 am

Because it has a Porsche badge. Seriously.

Porsche has mastered the marketing game like no other auto maker. They have the fattest sales margins and sell people on German brand, history, and status.

You pay massive premium for that Porsche badge. On parts that are shared with VW and Audi, you pay 2x to 3x for the same part when it has Porsche part number.

And people swallow their BS and pay. It is just like Gucci/Fendi/Rolex, you pay massive premium for the name.

And while you spend that hard earned 💵 on an overpriced parts, a guy next to you in a Volvo station vagon goes by Ken Fisher of fisher investments...or guy who goes by Warren Buffet in Grand Marquise.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:12 am

Kalashnikov wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:34 am And people swallow their BS and pay. It is just like Gucci/Fendi/Rolex, you pay massive premium for the name.
Yes and no. As I recall my P!g is 80% VW/Audi parts (maybe more since I have the TDI), but that 20% that is Porsche make it a different vehicle than the T-Reg and Q7.

Certainly for the normal person there is nothing but status between driving a $70k Cayenne or $40k T-Reg. If, however, you are the type of driver that pushes the limits at all, there is a large difference.

That's a bit different than a handbag that has no functional difference from it's cheaper competitor of the same size.

But yes their markup is nuts. If memory serves, shortly after buying the P!g Porsche wanted like $5 for the oil pan crush washer. Audi wanted $2 something and VW was $0.75 or less. All 3 had the same part number with different emblem stamps on them.
And while you spend that hard earned 💵 on an overpriced parts, a guy next to you in a Volvo station vagon goes by Ken Fisher of fisher investments...or guy who goes by Warren Buffet in Grand Marquise.
Meh, we all want different things in life and value them differently and we make choices based on that. I have no problem if people chose other than I do and hope that they are happy enough with their choices that they have no issue with my own.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:26 am

GM shipped the 100 millionth small-block V8 back in 2011. So, there are a few cores lying around. :D

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:00 am

Ok so more blocks laying around, however, what about all the new parts inside that cheap block including new aluminum heads plus the labor to machine, balance, install and test. Then you end up with more hp, torque and better warrantee. Premium pricing indeed...plus the Unicorn semen, of course. I don't get it.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:05 am

FRUNKenstein wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:48 am No unicorn semen.

Hey, I know that Speedway place. Have you ever been to their museum? If you haven't, you should run down the street to see it. Freakin' amazing place, about 150,000 sq ft museum. I got to meet Speedy Bill before he passed away.
I have not been to the museum. Waiting for my buddy from Iowa, who used to drive stock cars to visit. Hear it's pretty cool. I met Speedy Bill back in the day when I bought all my sprint car stuff there. He was an unusual character! He had a great pedal car collection, as well!

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:29 am

32wildbilly wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:00 am Ok so more blocks laying around, however, what about all the new parts inside that cheap block including new aluminum heads plus the labor to machine, balance, install and test. Then you end up with more hp, torque and better warrantee. Premium pricing indeed...plus the Unicorn semen, of course. I don't get it.
The parts themselves don't cost much to manufacture once the process has been setup. So part of it is that there is a much bigger market for a Chevy engine so they can spread the R&D costs over a wider area which helps reduce costs. Posche engine upgrades have a much smaller market so you have to charge more to try to make up your startup costs.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:14 pm

gnat wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:29 am
32wildbilly wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:00 am Ok so more blocks laying around, however, what about all the new parts inside that cheap block including new aluminum heads plus the labor to machine, balance, install and test. Then you end up with more hp, torque and better warrantee. Premium pricing indeed...plus the Unicorn semen, of course. I don't get it.
The parts themselves don't cost much to manufacture once the process has been setup. So part of it is that there is a much bigger market for a Chevy engine so they can spread the R&D costs over a wider area which helps reduce costs. Posche engine upgrades have a much smaller market so you have to charge more to try to make up your startup costs.
You are being just too logical and reasonable! Let me wallow in my misery for a while longer. :roll:

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:40 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:14 pm
gnat wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:29 am
You are being just too logical and reasonable! Let me wallow in my misery for a while longer. :roll:
Oh you can still wallow away. I'm just pointing out that the markup isn't purely greed all the time (my crush washer example above is nothing but), but there is definitely a greed portion to it too.

At least we aren't Lamborghini owners. Talk about price gouging and they are sharing parts with the R8.