Racetrack Stuff

DTMiller
"Special"

Re: Racetrack Stuff

Post by DTMiller » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:36 am

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:39 am
Miata Dave wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:45 pm gnat, if it's any consolation, I took an experienced instructor out with me yesterday and he emailed me this:

"That was a fun ride - thanks for that. Like I said - I really don't think I scare easily in a car...but the way you take T3, it's nuts"
You can tell your passenger "enjoyed" the ride because numerous times his voice turned into to one of a little girl and he subconsciously clasped his hands into prayer position repeatedly! That was not excitement, that was fear. Awesome job! Being a rider can be much worse that being the driver...
Yeah, he was legitimately scared and I knew I was a notch or so under the car's capabilities which allowed me to really enjoy watching him react. Instructors have a joke that everything feels 25% faster in the right seat; it might not be a joke.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:07 am

Miata Dave wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:36 am
32wildbilly wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:39 am

You can tell your passenger "enjoyed" the ride because numerous times his voice turned into to one of a little girl and he subconsciously clasped his hands into prayer position repeatedly! That was not excitement, that was fear. Awesome job! Being a rider can be much worse that being the driver...
Yeah, he was legitimately scared and I knew I was a notch or so under the car's capabilities which allowed me to really enjoy watching him react. Instructors have a joke that everything feels 25% faster in the right seat; it might not be a joke.
I gotta ask: What caused the gravel pit trip? It was hard to see but did the car you were passing squeeze you off the track or was it just brain fade?
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:20 am

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:07 am I gotta ask: What caused the gravel pit trip? It was hard to see but did the car you were passing squeeze you off the track or was it just brain fade?
That is his special parking spot. He likes it. A LOT. :lol:

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:22 am

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:07 am
Miata Dave wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:36 am

I gotta ask: What caused the gravel pit trip? It was hard to see but did the car you were passing squeeze you off the track or was it just brain fade?
Definitely brain fade. That car in front was going so slow I just wasn't paying the slightest bit of attention to what I was doing and I was just watching him, the deeper into the corner we got the slower we were going and then we were just dramatically out of position especially rotation wise - car wasn't pointed far enough right - and rather than risk looping it by trying to steer it back on I just went off straight. I sort of kept waiting to turn for him to be out of the way and he never was so I never turned and then oh crap we're out of track surface.

Totally my fault but it's one of those spots where if he isn't there it never happens. You can hear me and Joe trying to figure it out in real time.

I'd like to pretend I did it on purpose to add to the tension but that's a lie. I just screwed up.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:33 am

Miata Dave wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:22 am
32wildbilly wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:07 am I gotta ask: What caused the gravel pit trip? It was hard to see but did the car you were passing squeeze you off the track or was it just brain fade?
Definitely brain fade. That car in front was going so slow I just wasn't paying the slightest bit of attention to what I was doing and I was just watching him, the deeper into the corner we got the slower we were going and then we were just dramatically out of position especially rotation wise - car wasn't pointed far enough right - and rather than risk looping it by trying to steer it back on I just went off straight. I sort of kept waiting to turn for him to be out of the way and he never was so I never turned and then oh crap we're out of track surface.

Totally my fault but it's one of those spots where if he isn't there it never happens. You can hear me and Joe trying to figure it out in real time.

I'd like to pretend I did it on purpose to add to the tension but that's a lie. I just screwed up.
Give yourself a break! Looked to me like Capitan Slow was easing away from his inside position into the center of the track. I would rather do a run-off than clip his left rear fender and really mess things up. From driving sprint cars I realize the "Holy Shit! What is he doing?!" moments can be very disconcerting. You just never know...I tended to give those folks wide berths.

sweet victory
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by sweet victory » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:26 am

I probably should've posted this question here instead of the good week thread.

Really want to try Michellin PS4's as my next tire. I know Michellins run wide and tall..a 285/35/18 won't look stretched on 11.5" wide wheels, will it? 285mm ~ 11.25". Currently running 315's in the rear, and 245's in the front, which is a tad too "meaty."

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:19 am

sweet victory wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:26 am I probably should've posted this question here instead of the good week thread.

Really want to try Michellin PS4's as my next tire. I know Michellins run wide and tall..a 285/35/18 won't look stretched on 11.5" wide wheels, will it? 285mm ~ 11.25". Currently running 315's in the rear, and 245's in the front, which is a tad too "meaty."
285 will be fine; just check the heights to make sure they aren't off by much if speedo accuracy matters to you.
1997 MX-5 track car

Cuda911
Possum Hauler

Post by Cuda911 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:41 pm

Well, I survived Day 1 of Festival of Speed.

Schnelly, thx for the grid work!

Even so, you make for a crap Grid Girl stand-in.

Two more days of track fun left!
Mike

'68 Ford Custom 500; '70 Plymouth Cuda; '71 Ford Econoline; 73 Porsche 914 1.7, '74 Porsche 914 1.8; '74 Suzuki TC185; '86 Suzuki GS450L; '88 Subaru GL104WD Turbo Ltd Edn;; '88 Subaru XT; '91 Lexus ES250; '93 Jeep Wrangler, '99 Porsche Boxster, '03 Turbo VW Beetle; '03 Porsche Boxster; '03 Porsche Carrera C2; '07 Porsche Cayman, '11 BMW 328i, '12 Porsche 991 S, '14 Porsche Cayman, & a mishmash of other vehicles.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:39 am

Cuda911 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:41 pm Well, I survived Day 1 of Festival of Speed.

PICS??

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:45 am

32wildbilly wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:39 am
Cuda911 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:41 pm Well, I survived Day 1 of Festival of Speed.

PICS??
You want pics of Schnelly impersonating a Grid Girl? Ewwwwwww....