Racetrack Stuff

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Re: Racetrack Stuff

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:33 am

So, I went and done it. I signed up for a "intro to DE" at NJ Motorsports Park on April 28th. It's a one day session with a classroom and laps, run by my local PCA and sponsored by the local Porsche dealer.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/li ... ion-070498

Tech inspection is tonight. I have to admit to a little nervousness about the DE, but I've been thinking about this so long that I think I'd regret it if I didn't go for it. I need to get this desire to floor it out of my system.

My concerns are:
  • My 18-year-old car explodes in some fashion
  • I am terrible at it, car goes four-wheelin'
  • I love and have to find a track car.
Off to find a helmet!
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:01 am

Let us know how it works out. I've been pondering the same things since 2014 and have the same fears(irrational).
Never gonna make you cry...

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:55 pm

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:33 am So, I went and done it. I signed up for a "intro to DE" at NJ Motorsports Park on April 28th. It's a one day session with a classroom and laps, run by my local PCA and sponsored by the local Porsche dealer.

Tech inspection is tonight. I have to admit to a little nervousness about the DE, but I've been thinking about this so long that I think I'd regret it if I didn't go for it. I need to get this desire to floor it out of my system.

My concerns are:
Off to find a helmet!
Your car will be at no greater risk at this event than on the street. Pushing any car hard enough to impose additional mechanical risk is not something you (or anyone who hasn't ever done this before) is capable of doing. That's just a simple fact. Even if you are in the top 10% of street driver talent/capability, what happens on a track is really just on a different level. I would get arrested for doing what my car does on a track if I did it on the street. And I'm not that good.

Unlikely. Not impossible, but really unlikely.

Probable. It's a tremendous hobby and I've found the bestest friends I have made as an adult have been at the track.

I'd offer to send you my backup helmet so you can try before you buy anything but it's open face and illegal in NJ.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:03 pm

Oh, and I'd offer to lend you my primary helmet but it was 83 degrees on Saturday and I was in the car for 17 twenty minute sessions and... well, I mean, if you want to put it on your head I guess you can. Let me know!
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor

OceanBlue2000

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:36 pm

DTMiller wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:55 pm
OceanBlue2000 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:33 am So, I went and done it. I signed up for a "intro to DE" at NJ Motorsports Park on April 28th. It's a one day session with a classroom and laps, run by my local PCA and sponsored by the local Porsche dealer.

My concerns are:
Off to find a helmet!
Your car will be at no greater risk at this event than on the street. Pushing any car hard enough to impose additional mechanical risk is not something you (or anyone who hasn't ever done this before) is capable of doing. That's just a simple fact. Even if you are in the top 10% of street driver talent/capability, what happens on a track is really just on a different level. I would get arrested for doing what my car does on a track if I did it on the street. And I'm not that good.

Unlikely. Not impossible, but really unlikely.

Probable. It's a tremendous hobby and I've found the bestest friends I have made as an adult have been at the track.

I'd offer to send you my backup helmet so you can try before you buy anything but it's open face and illegal in NJ.
Hey man, no problem! Your post did more than enough to make me feel a little less nervous, so I appreciate it. My buddy has a helmet I can borrow, but I found an SA2015 for about $100.

Anyway, I'll let you know how the tech inspection goes. I will most likely need new brake fluid. I changed pads/rotors last summer so they've got less than 3K miles on them. I meant to do a flush (I hate bleeding brakes) at my local Firestone but never got there.
Mike
1982 928 (sold)

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:32 pm

Have fun. That region is great and has a really good set of instructors. Don't overthink it, just listen to what your instructor says and you will have a blast.
1997 MX-5 track car

Cuda911
Possum Hauler

Post by Cuda911 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:36 pm

Have a blast, OceanBlue! Congrats for signing up for the DE.

As DTM can attest, the odds of anyting going awry is very small.
Mike

'68 Ford Custom 500; '70 Plymouth Cuda; '71 Ford Econoline; 73 Porsche 914 1.7, '74 Porsche 914 1.8; '74 Suzuki TC185; '86 Suzuki GS450L; '88 Subaru GL104WD Turbo Ltd Edn;; '88 Subaru XT; '91 Lexus ES250; '93 Jeep Wrangler, '99 Porsche Boxster, '03 Turbo VW Beetle; '03 Porsche Boxster; '03 Porsche Carrera C2; '07 Porsche Cayman, '11 BMW 328i, '12 Porsche 991 S, '14 Porsche Cayman, & a mishmash of other vehicles.

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:35 am

Cuda911 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:36 pm Have a blast, OceanBlue! Congrats for signing up for the DE.

As DTM can attest, the odds of anyting going awry is very small.
Currently less than 2%, in my experience!
1997 MX-5 track car

OceanBlue2000

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:03 am

Tech inspection went as planned, I failed but all I need is a receipt for the brake fluid job. Pricing it out now, I just don't know when I will be able to drop off the car.

Getting excited!
Mike
1982 928 (sold)

OceanBlue2000

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:50 am

On a related note, can anyone recommend a brake fluid? I need a street fluid that is going to be good enough for this track session. DOT 4, right (not DOT 5)? Any brands?

My local Firestone will do a flush with fluid I bring in pretty cheap.

Mike
Mike
1982 928 (sold)