Racetrack Stuff

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Re: Racetrack Stuff

Post by FRUNKenstein » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:18 am

DTMiller wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:05 am Without knowing the specifics of the rant, I do know that running a DE is a ton of work and that many groups have trouble doing so profitably so there might have been a bit of a "if you board members don't lead the way we're going to lose this thing" aspect to it but it doesn't sound like it. And if that was his intended message he quite obviously delivered it poorly.
You're right - that was a part of it. Last year, the Club Race that we sponsored ended up in the red a little bit, but the board was fine with it. The board has always been supportive of the DE program, giving them whatever funding is needed and not interfering in how the track guys want to run their program. The truth is probably only about 10% of the members track their cars - I'm guessing, but even with over 500 primary members, I'd be surprised if more than 50 are interested in spending the weekend at the track.

There's just a palpable "if you don't track your car, you aren't a real Porsche owner" mindset that our track guys have. They like to make snide comments about the "wine and cheese crowd" and the "show and shine guys." That was evident during the diatribe. For example, during the track weekend, we do "parade laps" during the lunch break where guys (like me) who swing by to check out the action can go out for 5 or 6 laps behind a lead car. Everybody who does parade laps pays $20, which we donate to a local charity for kids who have witnessed a family member get murdered, so we have a lot of guys come out for that. He said that this upcoming DE, he's going drive the lead car himself, and he's going to do it in his pickup truck and he's going to do it at a crawl - it's going to be a true "parade" at parade speeds. He's not letting anyone come out and have any fun whatsoever on the track unless they are signed up for the whole weekend of DE.

They just need to accept the fact that there are a lot of reasons that people don't want to be involved in the DE program, not the least of which is that it is an all-weekend commitment and that there is a fairly significant financial risk. The non-track guys aren't trying to prevent the track guys from doing their thing - it's exactly the opposite. You've got 90% of the club willing to front the tens of thousands of dollars for deposits and take the financial risk to allow the 10% to run their events. They should be grateful, not hateful. Just sayin'.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:30 am

I completely agree with you. Doing track things is not an indicator of anything other than that you like to do track things. It's an exceptionally risky hobby that has the side benefit of also being exceptionally expensive. A guy I know with a Cayman spent over $1000/day to track his car last year. You can do it cheaper (raises hand) but it still isn't cheap.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:31 am

Ugh. Sounds about right for what I've seen for PCA track people in my region.

The AutoX I took the P!g to started off with loud "whispers" behind my back about how it wasn't a Porsche and I had no business there. Funny thing happened though, anything older than a 996 that wasn't modded to hell and back turned out to be slower through the course than my "non-Porsche" :lol: While I had a lot of fun driving it at the event (more than driving either the e90 or 996 at the BMW AX we did years before), that attitude is at least part of what has kept me away since PCA events are the only ones I can run the P!g at (what it did to my tires was probably a bigger consideration though ;)).

I would bet that if you did show up for a track session he'd also be the one talking about how the 996 isn't a real Porsche and you have ugly headlights :roll:

Sounds like what really needs to happen here is that the rest of the board need to make a concerted effort to push him out at the next election and get someone more appreciative of the club as a whole. Alternatively, cut the supportive funding and let him figure out how to cover costs for a few events to get the point across.

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:36 am

Also, I'm no marketing guru but making the sample LESS attractive isn't how you get people to buy the whole product.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor

Cuda911
Possum Hauler

Post by Cuda911 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:57 am

No such snobbery here. Some track their cars, some don't. Never heard any negative comments to those that don't.
Mike

'68 Ford Custom 500; '70 Plymouth Cuda; '71 Ford Econoline; 73 Porsche 914 1.7, '74 Porsche 914 1.8; '74 Suzuki TC185; '86 Suzuki GS450L; '88 Subaru GL104WD Turbo Ltd Edn;; '88 Subaru XT; '91 Lexus ES250; '93 Jeep Wrangler, '99 Porsche Boxster, '03 Turbo VW Beetle; '03 Porsche Boxster; '03 Porsche Carrera C2; '07 Porsche Cayman, '11 BMW 328i, '12 Porsche 991 S, '14 Porsche Cayman, & a mishmash of other vehicles.

sweet victory
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by sweet victory » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:30 pm

DTMiller wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:45 pm Guy is an ass.

I only have disdain for people who think they push their cars but have never done any closed course driving. Autocross is way more aggressive than any street driving and track driving is I think another step.

But car clubs have different roles for different people. The DE chair should be a DE guy. The breakfast meeting chair should have a mouth.
An ass, with an ego.

I would imagine you would want representation from most major niches. For example a concours guy for those passionate about restoration/detailing. Not everyone's end game is club racing.

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:46 am

Some dude in one of the track focused Facebook groups I am in did a YouTube video of how to do a cheap track day and then he didn't account for insurance, lodging, meals, or any consumables other than gas to and from the event.

Accordingly, I've discovered a way to tour Europe on just pennies a day.
1997 MX-5 track car

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Mon May 06, 2019 6:55 am

The Civic Type R is super fun. Holy crap. Student/buddy went from WTF this is scary to FUCK YEAH LET'S DO THIS in about 2.5 sessions, which is awesome. Bone stock car did great.
1997 MX-5 track car

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon May 06, 2019 10:12 am

DTMiller wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:55 am The Civic Type R is super fun. Holy crap. Student/buddy went from WTF this is scary to FUCK YEAH LET'S DO THIS in about 2.5 sessions, which is awesome. Bone stock car did great.
I wondered if this last weekend was D-day for your buddy. Glad the Type R and your friend did well. It is an impressive car on the street. Did you have to change brake pads? How did the tires hold up? When are you going to buy one? Do you still think it is butt-ugly? :D
Never gonna make you cry...

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Mon May 06, 2019 11:03 am

32wildbilly wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:12 am
DTMiller wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:55 am The Civic Type R is super fun. Holy crap. Student/buddy went from WTF this is scary to FUCK YEAH LET'S DO THIS in about 2.5 sessions, which is awesome. Bone stock car did great.
I wondered if this last weekend was D-day for your buddy. Glad the Type R and your friend did well. It is an impressive car on the street. Did you have to change brake pads? How did the tires hold up? When are you going to buy one? Do you still think it is butt-ugly? :D
No, just fine, never, kinda.

We were only able to do one day as rain flooded the track on day 2 and it was cancelled. Car is super fun though, and I definitely see the appeal.
1997 MX-5 track car