Racetrack Stuff

DTMiller
"Special"

Re: Racetrack Stuff

Post by DTMiller » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:41 am

kcattorney wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:11 pm Our local PCA held a club race this weekend at Heartland Park in Topeka. I went out for parade laps and got in 8 laps. My only previous "track" time was at Exotics Racing, so I'm a total noob. Still was fun today to exercise the car a little. Got up to about 115 mph on the straights, so that was nice. 2019 resolution will be to do my first DE.
Yesssssssss. Set the hook.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:18 am

I did the "intro to DE" event held by my local PCA this weekend at NJMP Lightning. We did some classroom, some autocross stuff on a closed part of the paddock, and then we got about 10 laps on the track with an instructor.

As predicted, I had a great time. On the track, I was completely overwhelmed, but from what I remember I had fun. My favorite part of the track was turn 1 after the straight, I feel like I hit the apex on that one pretty well. My least favorite part of the track started at turn 3, where I was totally lost. I DID pass a brand new Carrera! So that was fun.

I could not shake the nervousness about crashing or otherwise damaging the car. I felt like in the moment I was really trying to be fast, but all day it bothered me. Still, like I said, I had fun. If I pursue this, it looks like I'll need a track car. :D
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

sweet victory
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by sweet victory » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:34 am

I thought this was an interesting test done by engine masters. The added capacity of oil lost a good amount of hp. I wish they would've conducted more testing after the oil temps reached operating temps. (That test might be on the paid content, and not the free video though) That being said their theory on hp loss had more to do with where the oil was, than the temp of the oil, so I could be completely wrong. It would be kind of interesting to hear some feedback from those with deep sump kits on their M96.

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:42 am

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:18 am I did the "intro to DE" event held by my local PCA this weekend at NJMP Lightning. We did some classroom, some autocross stuff on a closed part of the paddock, and then we got about 10 laps on the track with an instructor.

As predicted, I had a great time. On the track, I was completely overwhelmed, but from what I remember I had fun. My favorite part of the track was turn 1 after the straight, I feel like I hit the apex on that one pretty well. My least favorite part of the track started at turn 3, where I was totally lost. I DID pass a brand new Carrera! So that was fun.

I could not shake the nervousness about crashing or otherwise damaging the car. I felt like in the moment I was really trying to be fast, but all day it bothered me. Still, like I said, I had fun. If I pursue this, it looks like I'll need a track car. :D
I make it a point to keep in the front of my mind the feeling I had the first time on track when working with people new to the hobby. Trying to drink from a firehose while piloting a car at what is high speed for you is hard!

If the fear of losing the car is front of mind, yeah, you won't be able to truly enjoy the experience. Track day policies exist at somewhat reasonable cost from a variety of providers and that might be a workable solution. I bought my car for about what a year's worth of policies would have run me. I'm in my fourth year of owning it so I'm well ahead of the game at this point.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor

Sneaky Pete

Post by Sneaky Pete » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:51 pm

I had my 1st track weekend this past. Loved the Toyo R888R's. Cold as hell in the low 30's with a heavy both day until yesterday afternoon and we saw 60. My student was a Junior from Purdue with a 2014 Subi BRZ. The guy was never on this track but drove it on his simulator.....good lord he was a quick learner. Got to a point I just sat there and chuckled as he reeled cars in. Only problem was that car is a momentum car and anything that won't let him pass killed his speed.

Tip of the day....keep your eyes up. Amazing how your eyes naturally look to maybe 50-75' ahead. Consciously make an effort to look up, down track and through corners. Getting on the gas becomes sooner and your hands will follow the eyes around turns. For me it is one of the hardest things to do.
Pete

PCA Member and National DE Instructor
2005 997.1S 4.0......yeh it's not a 996...so what!
2017 Audi Q5 S-line
2012 Ram 3500 Deleted Diesel
1964 Spitfire Racecar
1973 Group 44 Spitfire Racecar

Cuda911
Possum Hauler

Post by Cuda911 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:30 pm

Sneaky Pete wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:51 pm Tip of the day....keep your eyes up. Amazing how your eyes naturally look to maybe 50-75' ahead. Consciously make an effort to look up, down track and through corners. Getting on the gas becomes sooner and your hands will follow the eyes around turns. For me it is one of the hardest things to do.
I was just instructing at Performance Driving School this weekend, and it is something that I emphasized over and over. Yep, it takes a very conscious effort, especially for track newbies.

I would have my students look at a fairly near object at a specific area on the first lap. Then have them focus on a further object for the next lap, and then keep extending the range by selecting even further objects on subsequent laps. I think it worked very well.

[Jeez am I sore today from getting tossed around for two solid days in the passenger seats of cars with stock belts!]
Mike

'68 Ford Custom 500; '70 Plymouth Cuda; '71 Ford Econoline; 73 Porsche 914 1.7, '74 Porsche 914 1.8; '74 Suzuki TC185; '86 Suzuki GS450L; '88 Subaru GL104WD Turbo Ltd Edn;; '88 Subaru XT; '91 Lexus ES250; '93 Jeep Wrangler, '99 Porsche Boxster, '03 Turbo VW Beetle; '03 Porsche Boxster; '03 Porsche Carrera C2; '07 Porsche Cayman, '11 BMW 328i, '12 Porsche 991 S, '14 Porsche Cayman, & a mishmash of other vehicles.

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Tue May 08, 2018 6:33 am

Great day at the track yesterday. Over two hours on track and ended the day with a new PR by close to a second over my previous best (although weather conditions have mostly conspired from giving me a legit shot at it but my experience level has increased since then).

Car is a 1997 Miata, dynoed at 103 wheel HP, Toyo R888R 205s on 15*8 wheels.

1997 MX-5 track car

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Tue May 08, 2018 6:44 am

DTMiller wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:33 am Great day at the track yesterday. Over two hours on track and ended the day with a new PR by close to a second over my previous best (although weather conditions have mostly conspired from giving me a legit shot at it but my experience level has increased since then).

Car is a 1997 Miata, dynoed at 103 wheel HP, Toyo R888R 205s on 15*8 wheels.

Would your 996 Targa do any better? :)

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Tue May 08, 2018 6:52 am

b3freak wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:44 am Would your 996 Targa do any better? :)
I don't know. The tires on the Miata are so much better; it would be close. Obviously the big straights would be faster in the 911 but everything from turn 4 to 9 would be faster in the Miata. I'm faster than lots of reasonably well driven (but certainly not superbly driven) Caymans on street tires.
1997 MX-5 track car

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue May 08, 2018 9:05 am

DTMiller wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:52 am
b3freak wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:44 am Would your 996 Targa do any better? :)
I don't know. The tires on the Miata are so much better; it would be close. Obviously the big straights would be faster in the 911 but everything from turn 4 to 9 would be faster in the Miata. I'm faster than lots of reasonably well driven (but certainly not superbly driven) Caymans on street tires.
Looks like fun!

Two things: You need a higher range speedometer to run that track. You pegged it at least twice on the lap! You also probably need new Toyos as they were really screaming!

Great job. I love these track vids as I live vicariously through them.
Never gonna make you cry...