Racetrack Stuff

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Racetrack Stuff

Post by gnat » Thu May 31, 2018 1:12 pm

Looking like it's going to be an interesting month. First I'll get to meet KC and now I've finally caved to DT and he'll get to show me how to properly park a 996 :lol:

Quickly approaching 20 years that we've had this thing and it's just now finally going to get on the track. What terrible owners we are...

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Thu May 31, 2018 2:55 pm

Going back and forth between giving gnat the standard student ride along vs the one where he's convinced he's gonna die for 98% of the time. Maybe I'll post a poll and let the forum decide.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu May 31, 2018 8:49 pm

Standard ride in the 996. You can try to scare the shit out of me with your Boxter M.

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:28 am

Well, she's (probably) dead Jim. Here's a video of the last fast lap:

Here's a couple laps later when fuel starvation appears to have killed her:

Buddy has an engine I was intending to swap in this winter anyway, so that's been moved up to next Friday. Hopefully install goes well. It's possible the fuel pump is trashed but that's not a super hard replacement other than removing and reinstalling the hard top to get to it.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor

sweet victory
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by sweet victory » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:45 pm

In the second video, the engine definitely sounded different. Do you think that’s because of the pre-detonation caused by running lean?

Anyways, looks like you have a lot of fun out there! :)

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:38 pm

sweet victory wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:45 pm In the second video, the engine definitely sounded different. Do you think that’s because of the pre-detonation caused by running lean?

Anyways, looks like you have a lot of fun out there! :)
Agreed the song was much different than the fast lap. Old saying in racing goes "They always run the fastest just before they blow up!"
Never gonna make you cry...

Tyler H
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by Tyler H » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:49 am

DTMiller wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:28 am Well, she's (probably) dead Jim. Here's a video of the last fast lap:

Here's a couple laps later when fuel starvation appears to have killed her:

Buddy has an engine I was intending to swap in this winter anyway, so that's been moved up to next Friday. Hopefully install goes well. It's possible the fuel pump is trashed but that's not a super hard replacement other than removing and reinstalling the hard top to get to it.
Ugh...that's the worst feeling and decision to make. "Hey, I know I just fragged this engine. Will it make it back around or should I just park it?"

I decided to park it once instead of risking oiling the track or burning it down 3 turns before pit-in. Me to corner worker through the smoke: "Am I on fire?" [quick glance under the car] "Not yet!"

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:04 am

Tyler H wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:49 am Ugh...that's the worst feeling and decision to make. "Hey, I know I just fragged this engine. Will it make it back around or should I just park it?"

I decided to park it once instead of risking oiling the track or burning it down 3 turns before pit-in. Me to corner worker through the smoke: "Am I on fire?" [quick glance under the car] "Not yet!"
Yeah I was checking gauges and mirrors pretty frantically to make sure I wasn't dropping anything or smoking or whatever. I was pretty sure I wasn't and knew I had enough momentum to get to the south paddock where I could get off track and not interrupt the session. Something else I learned -- getting towed is hard. Keeping tension on the tow rope so your car doesn't get jarred to bits is tougher than it looks.
1997 MX-5 track car

Tyler H
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by Tyler H » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:45 am

DTMiller wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:04 am Something else I learned -- getting towed is hard. Keeping tension on the tow rope so your car doesn't get jarred to bits is tougher than it looks.
After years of W2W racing in Lemons and Champcar, I've gotten really good at the ol Flat Tow. And all other manner of nursing injured cars around a track and getting around a track off 'the line.'

When I do HPDEs now, it's a zenlike, relaxing experience. Except I recently bought a 996. Trying to decide if I can get over the M96 'noids and take it out.

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:20 am

It's funny, Chin has red group -- passing everywhere required and blue group -- passing everywhere permitted. It's a big difference and the amount of effort and focus needed for someone who has never raced and is almost certainly the slowest car out there by a lot is much higher in red than in blue. Not the same difference as what you are saying but directionally certainly the same.
1997 MX-5 track car