Racetrack Stuff

Sneaky Pete
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Racetrack Stuff

Post by Sneaky Pete » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:43 am

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:29 am I joined the North Jersey PCA, and so far am enjoying my membership. One of the things I am interested in is their DE program. I am eager to get the car on the track where it belongs, but am concerned about damaging it. According to the PCA, they say these events will be both safe for me and my car. Has anyone done a DE event through the PCA? Should I just go and not worry about it, or do I need to install a new baffle in the crankcase? Gosh, these cars make you nuts.
By all means you need to track your car and feel what it can really do. I'm a National PCA Instructor and it is rather safe as long as you maintain your car, listen to your instructor and abide by the rules that you are explained. The 1st few years I was DE'g it was all about learning the car and how it reacts. The past 9 years has been learning about me and how I react :) All you need are fresh oil, fresh brake fluid, pads and good tread on your tires and an open mind..... and I would only install a baffle if you were using sticky track tires...and I would not suggest starting out that way. Learn with your street tires. And if you have driven in the snow with your pcar you will have an advantage knowing how the backend kicks out and how to recover. Go for it!
Pete

PCA Member and National DE Instructor
2005 997.1S 4.0......yeh it's not a 996...so what!
2017 Audi Q5 S-line
2012 Ram 3500 Deleted Diesel
1964 Spitfire Racecar
1973 Group 44 Spitfire Racecar

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:25 am

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:29 am I joined the North Jersey PCA, and so far am enjoying my membership. One of the things I am interested in is their DE program. I am eager to get the car on the track where it belongs, but am concerned about damaging it. According to the PCA, they say these events will be both safe for me and my car. Has anyone done a DE event through the PCA? Should I just go and not worry about it, or do I need to install a new baffle in the crankcase? Gosh, these cars make you nuts.
Look at their Autocross class too. Much lower speeds, but it tells you a lot about how the car handles and what it can do. Unless you are a complete idiot or total tool* the worst "damage" you'll see from AutoX is a rub or two on your bumper from cones.

* My first AutoX experience included such a tool in a C6 Vette do a tire smoking launch into a slalom. He made the first gate then promptly lost control, did a few complete spins covering about 100', hit the curb ass first causing it do a nose stand, and then went down the "bolder" (2-3' granite chunks) covered embankment on the other side down into the drainage ditch. Took 2 tow trucks to pull it out of the ditch. The worst part was that said tool was a BMW CCA instructor and it was their AutoX school :( At least it was after the class was over and only a few of us were still hanging around to get in extra runs.

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:55 am

Obviously bad things can happen. I'm not as fancy as Pete but I do instruct with Chin Trackdays, Friday at the Track (Summit Point's in house track day program) and TrackDaze, possibly also with Audi club this year depending on my calendar.

Pete got it right and if you've never tracked your car, um, you have no idea what it can do. And once you have you'll think you have an idea but you'll be miles from what it can actually do.

NNJR runs great events. I know a bunch of those guys and gals. Do it. Or come to SP some Friday and I'll sit right seat with you.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:10 pm

Sneaky Pete wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:02 am So me and 3 996 buddies rented a house in Elkhart Lake, WI in July for a track weekend with MVP at Road America.
Wow, nice! I grew up in Sheboygan... nothing like diving hard on the brakes going into the downhill turn 5, or repeating to yourself "be brave! be brave!" as you try to keep speed around the kink (turn 11.) Hope you guys have a blast.

(I did the Barber school YEARS ago!)
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

Sneaky Pete
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Sneaky Pete » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:16 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:10 pm
Sneaky Pete wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:02 am So me and 3 996 buddies rented a house in Elkhart Lake, WI in July for a track weekend with MVP at Road America.
Wow, nice! I grew up in Sheboygan... nothing like diving hard on the brakes going into the downhill turn 5, or repeating to yourself "be brave! be brave!" as you try to keep speed around the kink (turn 11.) Hope you guys have a blast.

(I did the Barber school YEARS ago!)
The kink is real pucker moment! You're a cheeshead! I used to live in Fredonia off of hwy 57 and Jay road.....been to Sheboygan plenty of times. RA will be a blast!
Pete

PCA Member and National DE Instructor
2005 997.1S 4.0......yeh it's not a 996...so what!
2017 Audi Q5 S-line
2012 Ram 3500 Deleted Diesel
1964 Spitfire Racecar
1973 Group 44 Spitfire Racecar

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:05 am

Sneaky Pete wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:43 am
By all means you need to track your car and feel what it can really do. I'm a National PCA Instructor and it is rather safe as long as you maintain your car, listen to your instructor and abide by the rules that you are explained. The 1st few years I was DE'g it was all about learning the car and how it reacts. The past 9 years has been learning about me and how I react :) All you need are fresh oil, fresh brake fluid, pads and good tread on your tires and an open mind..... and I would only install a baffle if you were using sticky track tires...and I would not suggest starting out that way. Learn with your street tires. And if you have driven in the snow with your pcar you will have an advantage knowing how the backend kicks out and how to recover. Go for it!
Thanks man! Great info. I will sign up for one of their DEs. There's something about AutoX, where I'd like to try a "big track" first. I love to drive.

I love driving in the snow, but I also don't love working on a car that's been driven in the snow (and salt). I once tried to change the brake lines on my 928 and they were fused to the hard lines.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

OceanBlue2000

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:07 am

DTMiller wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:55 am Obviously bad things can happen. I'm not as fancy as Pete but I do instruct with Chin Trackdays, Friday at the Track (Summit Point's in house track day program) and TrackDaze, possibly also with Audi club this year depending on my calendar.

Pete got it right and if you've never tracked your car, um, you have no idea what it can do. And once you have you'll think you have an idea but you'll be miles from what it can actually do.

NNJR runs great events. I know a bunch of those guys and gals. Do it. Or come to SP some Friday and I'll sit right seat with you.
I will most definitely take you up on your offer! The wife said she'd come along on a gimmick rally, so I'm looking forward to getting more involved.
Mike
1982 928 (sold)

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:41 am

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:07 am
DTMiller wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:55 am Obviously bad things can happen. I'm not as fancy as Pete but I do instruct with Chin Trackdays, Friday at the Track (Summit Point's in house track day program) and TrackDaze, possibly also with Audi club this year depending on my calendar.

I will most definitely take you up on your offer! The wife said she'd come along on a gimmick rally, so I'm looking forward to getting more involved.
Cmon, still time to register: https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/fr ... uit-993854
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor

OceanBlue2000

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:38 am

DTMiller wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:41 am
OceanBlue2000 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:07 am I will most definitely take you up on your offer! The wife said she'd come along on a gimmick rally, so I'm looking forward to getting more involved.
Cmon, still time to register: https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/fr ... uit-993854
That’s the day before the boy’s birthday, so probably not going to work. When’s the next one after this? Surprisingly, this is only 4 hours from me, driving at advisable speeds (meaning I will get there sooner). I have a buddy who drives a V6 Mustang I might invite too.
Mike
1982 928 (sold)

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:15 am

Here is the full schedule. Recommend main track over the other two but all are fine.

http://summitpoint-raceway.com/programs ... k-program/
1997 MX-5 track car