Racetrack Stuff

Slakker
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Racetrack Stuff

Post by Slakker » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:03 am

trailbrake996 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:29 am I say use any oil designed for wet sump track use and you'll probably be good to go. Wait did I just get baited into an oil thread?...damn slakker!
Without the fanatics you can't have a proper oil thread. But give them time, they'll eventually find their way over here.

trailbrake996

Post by trailbrake996 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:49 am

Here's a video I did this past summer once the DE organizers found out I had video running during a session that turned into a "red mist" fest. Keep in mind that this was an advanced group with a mix of SCCA racers prepping for runoffs, PCA instructors, and "advanced DE drivers".

They wanted me to annotate some of the crazy behavior I saw - good news it was really one bad apple that spoiled the bunch. The dude in the white 981 Boxster S was a bit Krazy.

https://youtu.be/xkg4BhpHYLM
2003 Arctic Silver Metallic C2
Manual, FVD Motorsports Oil Pan, X74, FVD 200 Cell X-Pipe Cats, Fister exhaust, low-temp thermostat, assorted LN goodies, Tranzit Blu HF

1996 Midnight Blue C2
Manual, PSS10, H&R Sways, Rennline Mounts, FDM Golden Rod

PCA Member & National HPDE Instructor

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:29 am

Somebody needs to show the Boxsta' S what the front bumper is for! Sorry, too much dirt track racing in my past to put up with that crap!
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:43 am

Holy crap. doesn't seem so funny anymore :(

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:24 am

trailbrake996 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:49 am Here's a video I did this past summer...
Thanks for sharing. Your commentary helped me follow along and made for a great teaching tool.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:53 am

gnat wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:43 am Holy crap. doesn't seem so funny anymore :(
That is a good one! Bumper I tell you...BUMPER!
Never gonna make you cry...

pfbz

Post by pfbz » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:41 pm

trailbrake996 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:49 am Here's a video I did this past summer once the DE organizers found out I had video running during a session that turned into a "red mist" fest. Keep in mind that this was an advanced group with a mix of SCCA racers prepping for runoffs, PCA instructors, and "advanced DE drivers".

They wanted me to annotate some of the crazy behavior I saw - good news it was really one bad apple that spoiled the bunch. The dude in the white 981 Boxster S was a bit Krazy.

Clearly the Boxsta' had some skills and etiquette issues and was slow as hell in the corners.

It's kind of hard to tell the whole story from an in car video, but couldn't you of backed off a bit before the last turns into the straights/passing zones, had a much higher exit speed than you did while just following him through those corners and used that speed differential at the start of the straight to get by him if/when he pointed you by even when he stayed on the throttle?

Of course he should have lifted, but he clearly liked to show off his horsepower advantage in the straights.

Also, the two finger, in car signal you give at about 2:36, "I signal the car behind me that a point by is coming at the next safe place"... Is that something you teach at your regions DE events? I've never seen that before.

pfbz

Post by pfbz » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:05 pm

Full-race mode, not DE, but this vid shows what might have happened to that Boxster racing to the corner from the outside...

The whole video is cool, but skip to about 6 minutes for the interesting part.

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:23 pm

pfbz wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:41 pm
trailbrake996 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:49 am Here's a video I did this past summer once the DE organizers found out I had video running during a session that turned into a "red mist" fest. Keep in mind that this was an advanced group with a mix of SCCA racers prepping for runoffs, PCA instructors, and "advanced DE drivers".

Clearly the Boxsta' had some skills and etiquette issues and was slow as hell in the corners.

It's kind of hard to tell the whole story from an in car video, but couldn't you of backed off a bit before the last turns into the straights/passing zones, had a much higher exit speed than you did while just following him through those corners and used that speed differential at the start of the straight to get by him if/when he pointed you by even when he stayed on the throttle?

Of course he should have lifted, but he clearly liked to show off his horsepower advantage in the straights.

Also, the two finger, in car signal you give at about 2:36, "I signal the car behind me that a point by is coming at the next safe place"... Is that something you teach at your regions DE events? I've never seen that before.
Tap the mirror/wave in the middle of the car is a more and more common signal in DEs to reduce impatience. It says I see you and I'm going to point you by, don't try to get in the trunk so I see you.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:30 pm

pfbz wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:05 pm Full-race mode, not DE, but this vid shows what might have happened to that Boxster racing to the corner from the outside...

The whole video is cool, but skip to about 6 minutes for the interesting part.

Holy crap! That didn't look like a significant hit at all. Certainly nothing to equate to what happened :o

I was wondering the whole time "what is with all the 996s? Don't they know they are going to blow up?", so I guess something like that should have been expected :mrgreen: