Anyone interested in RaceLegal at Jack Murphy - er, Qualcomm - er, no, SDCCU stadium this Friday evening? If so, post up here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=525

Click the big X in the top right corner of this area to dismiss this message permanently.

Stripped my oil drain plug

User avatar
DTMiller
OG (First 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:50 pm
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Contact:

Re: Stripped my oil drain plug

Post by DTMiller » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:13 am

Helps to not put the car so far in the air if you can. I just back mine to edge of the garage door and the slope of the driveway gives me enough room to get under there and get the plug loose.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)

User avatar
32wildbilly
OG (First 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 1272
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:46 pm
Location: Kneebraska

Re: Stripped my oil drain plug

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:49 am

DTMiller wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:13 am
Helps to not put the car so far in the air if you can. I just back mine to edge of the garage door and the slope of the driveway gives me enough room to get under there and get the plug loose.
I have considered that as being an issue. It is amazing how fast a stream of oil can accelerate in about 8 inches! The JackPoint jack stands I have are not adjustable so I could try my old stands and leave them on the lowered position. My driveway doesn't have much of a slope, but I'll check it out. Thanks DT.

User avatar
32wildbilly
OG (First 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 1272
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:46 pm
Location: Kneebraska

Re: Stripped my oil drain plug

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:50 am

sweet victory wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:07 am
I use a harley davidson oil catch can. The large surface area prevents oil from being spilled, and I don't need to raise the vehicle to get under it since it's originally meant for motorcycles. Made in USA and has high quality orings and seals, so it doesn't leak when used as a storage container. I recommend.

Image
So you just drain oil on cover and let it flow to that tiny hole??

User avatar
OceanBlue2000
OG (First 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:01 am
Location: Swamps o' Jersey

Re: Stripped my oil drain plug

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:02 pm

sweet victory wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:07 am
I use a harley davidson oil catch can. The large surface area prevents oil from being spilled, and I don't need to raise the vehicle to get under it since it's originally meant for motorcycles. Made in USA and has high quality orings and seals, so it doesn't leak when used as a storage container. I recommend.

Image
I'd get one of those so I don't have to put the car on the ramps in order to change the oil, but I wouldn't think it would solve the splash issue. This morning, the oil came out so strong it bounced off the top of the catch can and landed on the driveway. Only thing to do is sell it, I guess.

So far, no leaks! If I'm going to send the oil out for analysis anyway, i might go back to the stock plug.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

User avatar
OceanBlue2000
OG (First 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:01 am
Location: Swamps o' Jersey

Re: Stripped my oil drain plug

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:04 pm

DTMiller wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:13 am
Helps to not put the car so far in the air if you can. I just back mine to edge of the garage door and the slope of the driveway gives me enough room to get under there and get the plug loose.
Yeah, that's probably the answer. My driveway drops off like a cliff.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

User avatar
sweet victory
OG (First 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:55 pm
Location: Safe Space

Re: Stripped my oil drain plug

Post by sweet victory » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:34 pm

32wildbilly wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:50 am
sweet victory wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:07 am
I use a harley davidson oil catch can. The large surface area prevents oil from being spilled, and I don't need to raise the vehicle to get under it since it's originally meant for motorcycles. Made in USA and has high quality orings and seals, so it doesn't leak when used as a storage container. I recommend.

Image
So you just drain oil on cover and let it flow to that tiny hole??
You unscrew that center plug, and the vent plug, and yep. Not a single drop of oil made it onto the drive way.
2001 996 C2 Aero

User avatar
sweet victory
OG (First 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:55 pm
Location: Safe Space

Re: Stripped my oil drain plug

Post by sweet victory » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:36 pm

OceanBlue2000 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:02 pm

I'd get one of those so I don't have to put the car on the ramps in order to change the oil, but I wouldn't think it would solve the splash issue. This morning, the oil came out so strong it bounced off the top of the catch can and landed on the driveway. Only thing to do is sell it, I guess.

So far, no leaks! If I'm going to send the oil out for analysis anyway, i might go back to the stock plug.
Have you tried leaving the filler cap on so it doesn't pour out as fast?
2001 996 C2 Aero

User avatar
gnat
OG (First 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:54 am
Location: If you knew, you'd move

Re: Stripped my oil drain plug

Post by gnat » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:01 pm

32wildbilly wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:49 am
DTMiller wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:13 am
Helps to not put the car so far in the air if you can. I just back mine to edge of the garage door and the slope of the driveway gives me enough room to get under there and get the plug loose.
I have considered that as being an issue. It is amazing how fast a stream of oil can accelerate in about 8 inches! The JackPoint jack stands I have are not adjustable so I could try my old stands and leave them on the lowered position. My driveway doesn't have much of a slope, but I'll check it out. Thanks DT.
If you can't bring the car to the pan, bring the pan to the car. Make a little platform to sit the pan on which raises it closer to the car.

Post Reply