Stripped my oil drain plug

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Stripped my oil drain plug

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:17 am

The PO put in a LN magnetic drain plug. Then, whoever he took it to for oil changes just dgaf and tightened that thing as much as they could. So, after doing two oil changes myself and having to tighten it past where I am comfortable, it’s getting stripped.

I am reasonably sure I can get it off but I have no confidence I’ll be able to get it tight again so I ordered a new one.

HOWEVER I want to be prepared for all contingencies. If I can’t get it off, what do you guys think would be the best way to get it out? I am guessing it would be some kind of Ez out but I want to order the proper tool. The metal on this thing is super soft. I’d really like to avoid getting anything in the pan.

Any one have anything they found useful?
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Stripped my oil drain plug

Post by B3DAWG » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:37 am

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:17 am The PO put in a LN magnetic drain plug. Then, whoever he took it to for oil changes just dgaf and tightened that thing as much as they could. So, after doing two oil changes myself and having to tighten it past where I am comfortable, it’s getting stripped.

I am reasonably sure I can get it off but I have no confidence I’ll be able to get it tight again so I ordered a new one.

HOWEVER I want to be prepared for all contingencies. If I can’t get it off, what do you guys think would be the best way to get it out? I am guessing it would be some kind of Ez out but I want to order the proper tool. The metal on this thing is super soft. I’d really like to avoid getting anything in the pan.

Have you tried a slightly larger star bit?

If that doesn't work, you may need to drop the oil pan and bore it out. *this is a good time to examine for debris in the sump and oil pump inlet.

Good luck!

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:22 am

b3freak wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:37 am
OceanBlue2000 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:17 am The PO put in a LN magnetic drain plug. Then, whoever he took it to for oil changes just dgaf and tightened that thing as much as they could. So, after doing two oil changes myself and having to tighten it past where I am comfortable, it’s getting stripped.

Have you tried a slightly larger star bit?

If that doesn't work, you may need to drop the oil pan and bore it out. *this is a good time to examine for debris in the sump and oil pump inlet.

Good luck!
Wished I had some advice, but I don't. I can tell you my LN plug which I installed new has been through 3 prior oil changes, only torqued to 19 ft/lbs by me is starting to get sloppy so I ordered a new one. I understand the new one is a different size "wrench hole" to avoid this issue. Just be careful, make sure the bit is fully seated and cross whatever fingers(and legs) you are not using to get it out. It will come out.
Never gonna make you cry...

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:08 pm

Lisle Super Out. PN 62900. Make sure you drill the correct size hole per the instructions. Always use a left handed drill bit since that alone is sometimes enough to do the job. Put some tape around the drill bit so you know you're not going more than 1/2" deep or so.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-62900-Extr ... dpSrc=srch

Astro

Post by Astro » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:53 am

I had the same thing happen to me a few months ago. Fortunately I was able to remove the plug without any issues, although it did cost me time, hassle and oil. I replaced it with the stock plug which cost approx. $5.00.
99 C2, 6 Speed, Artic Silver, Daily Driver

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:00 am

Is no one really going to give the REAL answer here?

This is failure mode 42. You need a new motor.

OceanBlue2000

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:19 pm

Thanks guys! Ordered a short block.

Before it gets here though, I also plan on ordering the ez outs. If you hear cursing next weekend that’s me.
Mike
1982 928 (sold)

OceanBlue2000

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:49 am

Success! I tapped the 8MM allen key. I usually use and prayed to Odin and it came out. I still have not done this job without a spill. I think I have to open the plug over an "open" catch pan, then transfer the oil to a "closed' catch pan for transport to the recycler. The wife is not super psyched about all the oil stains on the driveway, and The Mutt tends to try to lick the oil.

In any case, all buttoned up with the new magnetic plug at 19ft/lbs. Let's see if it leaks. If it does, I might have to go back to stock plug. Also, I am sending a sample out for testing. Cross your fingers.
IMG_0648.jpg
Mike
1982 928 (sold)

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:32 am

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:49 am Success! I tapped the 8MM allen key. I usually use and prayed to Odin and it came out. I still have not done this job without a spill. I think I have to open the plug over an "open" catch pan, then transfer the oil to a "closed' catch pan for transport to the recycler. The wife is not super psyched about all the oil stains on the driveway, and The Mutt tends to try to lick the oil.

In any case, all buttoned up with the new magnetic plug at 19ft/lbs. Let's see if it leaks. If it does, I might have to go back to stock plug. Also, I am sending a sample out for testing. Cross your fingers.

IMG_0648.jpg
First off:
perfect-tis-perfect.jpg
perfect-tis-perfect.jpg (36.98 KiB) Viewed 3127 times
I too besmirch my garage floor every time I change the oil and I use an enormous kitty litter pan with @ 6" sides. The first blast out of crankcase hits the bottom of the pan and sprays out in a fan manner onto the floor. I put down cardboard to catch the overspray. Don't know what else to do. Some have said use the oil catch pans with a screen or tiny little hole. I dunno...pretty sure I would make a bigger mess with those. Anyway glad you got the plug out and I have never had mine leak at the indicated 19ft/lbs even though that seems incredibly light.
Never gonna make you cry...

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:07 am

I use a harley davidson oil catch can. The large surface area prevents oil from being spilled, and I don't need to raise the vehicle to get under it since it's originally meant for motorcycles. Made in USA and has high quality orings and seals, so it doesn't leak when used as a storage container. I recommend.