Soda blasting?

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Soda blasting?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:06 am

Anyone mess with soda blasting? I've been toying with the idea of getting a media blaster of some sort. The Corvette has about a decade's worth of leaked oil and road grime; I'd like to blast that crap off and finally fix the leak(s).

I have a decent compressor, so I was probably just going to get a crap HF unit to start with...there is some stuff I won't buy from Harbor Freight, but a hopper with a trigger and a compressed air coupling they can probably get right.

Is soda blasting abrasive enough to cut through cosmoline and other baked-on crap?

Learn me about the fine art of cheap-ass media blasting...

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

sweet victory
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Soda blasting?

Post by sweet victory » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:16 am

I've personally never soda blasted before, but I've worked with other industrial blast media and vibratory tumblers at work.

I think for a DIY set up, you might get better results with wet soda blasting. Northern tool sells an adapter for pressure washers for $75.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200660204

Depending on the size of the part, you could also look at ultrasonic cleaners. (Get a good used one off ebay instead of the crappy $120 ones you see new)

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:33 am

Damn that attachment is cool! I have something similar that I think was like $15 from amazon to use with our air compressor. I jut feed play sand through it, but the big PITA is that you have to make sure the sand is well dried and filtered out. Otherwise it's like 2 seconds of blasting and 5 minutes of cleaning the clog.

808Bill
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 808Bill » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:42 am

There's a dustless blaster out too. And blasting with dry ice I think.
FSI-R40