Bore Scoring! Who knows for whom the bell tolls...

Renn Meister

Re: Bore Scoring! Who knows for whom the bell tolls...

Post by Renn Meister » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:50 pm

B3,
When I ran into you at Athens Cars and Coffee a couple months ago they weren't sooty??

Yes, I look at the tailpipes of every 996/997 that I see... Sometimes I will turn around to go get behind them, just so I can get a peek at their pipes!

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:03 pm

Renn Meister wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:50 pm B3,
When I ran into you at Athens Cars and Coffee a couple months ago they weren't sooty??

Yes, I look at the tailpipes of every 996/997 that I see... Sometimes I will turn around to go get behind them, just so I can get a peek at their pipes!
Jake, are you talking about when I first met you back in the summer or the second time in the Fall? I noticed you were looking closely and if you remember, you asked me to start the car. Then you said something about my injectors because the drivers window was shaking. It was kind of chaotic with all the people in the crowd wanting to meet and talk to you. Anyway, you told me to run a couple of cans of Seafoam on a low tank and then you walked away to talk to other people. Well, fast forward to the holidays, I’ve been getting misfires and same warning as Bill and after he posted his problem, I went out and noticed the sooty tailpipe. What’s next?
Last edited by B3DAWG on Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:10 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:32 pm
b3freak wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:29 pm

Unfortunately yes. :( I’m afraid to have my cylinders bore scoped. Ugh!
Both sides? Any tapping noises? Have you OBD'd to determine which cylinder(s) is misfiring? Oil usage? Tailpipe spitting on initial start of day?

Sooty on the drivers side. Misfires on 2&5. And yes, I’m hearing a faint noise that sounds like a ticking noise, but I’m clueless if it’s the sound associated with scoring or if my mind is playing tricks on me. It’s been raining down here constantly since early November and I associated the misfire with faulty coil packs misfiring from all the rain. Yes, I drive my car in the rain. :D I haven’t been keeping up with oil consumption.

Renn Meister

Post by Renn Meister » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:15 pm

I don't remember noticing them sooty either time.. That first time we met when I was in my 912E I had the crap bothered out of me because I drove a Porsche and had to play 20 questions... The second time I drove a tank, and didn't get bothered.

Both pipes looked the same, but I do remember that I thought the car failed my "door test" but I don't remember.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:25 pm

b3freak wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:03 pm
Renn Meister wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:50 pm B3,

Jake, are you talking about when I first met you back in the summer or the second time in the Fall? I noticed you were looking closely and if you remember, you asked me to start the car. Then you said something about my injectors because the drivers window was shaking. It was kind of chaotic with all the people in the crowd wanting to meet and talk to you. Anyway, you told me to run a couple of cans of Seafoam on a low tank and then you walked away to talk to other people. Well, fast forward to the holidays, I’ve been getting misfires and same warning as Bill and after he posted his problem, I went out and noticed the sooty tailpipe. What’s next?
Take a deep breath is the first thing to do.
Never gonna make you cry...

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:29 pm

Renn Meister wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:15 pm I don't remember noticing them sooty either time.. That first time we met when I was in my 912E I had the crap bothered out of me because I drove a Porsche and had to play 20 questions... The second time I drove a tank, and didn't get bothered.

Both pipes looked the same, but I do remember that I thought the car failed my "door test" but I don't remember.
Dude I think you were getting mobbed by fans both times.
Well, anyway....
You also asked what oil I was running. I said Mobil1 0w40. The you looked at me and said “liquid gas!?” or something like that. Hahaha I’ll take a picture in the morning when there is good light and try to get a sound recording of the noise. Of course, I could always drive my car and meet you.

Renn Meister

Post by Renn Meister » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:35 pm

You also asked what oil I was running. I said Mobil1 0w40. The you looked at me and said “liquid gas!?” or something like that.
No... That was "Liquid Death"

Anyway, most of this damage has been done over years by fuel, operating conditions, and long oil service intervals. What you do for oil right now is like a smoker throwing his smokes away at age 80 after a heart attack. It ain't gonna help that much...

I don't know the story behind your car, was it always a local car from around here? If so a scored cylinder isn't the norm, but is happening more these days. Do you have the Carfax to see where it previously lived?

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:37 pm

b3freak wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:29 pm
Renn Meister wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:15 pm I don't remember noticing them sooty either time.. That first time we met when I was in my 912E I had the crap bothered out of me because I drove a Porsche and had to play 20 questions... The second time I drove a tank, and didn't get bothered.

Dude I think you were getting mobbed by fans both times.
Well, anyway....
You also asked what oil I was running. I said Mobil1 0w40. The you looked at me and said “liquid gas!?” or something like that. Hahaha I’ll take a picture in the morning when there is good light and try to get a sound recording of the noise. Of course, I could always drive my car and meet you.
Just a note to self...tailpipes will be dirty they are tailpipes after all. There is a difference between dirty and sooty...
Never gonna make you cry...

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:44 pm

Renn Meister wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:35 pm
You also asked what oil I was running. I said Mobil1 0w40. The you looked at me and said “liquid gas!?” or something like that.
No... That was "Liquid Death"

Anyway, most of this damage has been done over years by fuel, operating conditions, and long oil service intervals. What you do for oil right now is like a smoker throwing his smokes away at age 80 after a heart attack. It ain't gonna help that much...

I don't know the story behind your car, was it always a local car from around here? If so a scored cylinder isn't the norm, but is happening more these days. Do you have the Carfax to see where it previously lived?
Hahaha Ahhhhh “liquid death” How could forget that. The car is not a southern car. :( it’s a northern car... Minnessota? I’ll have to find my Carfax to confirm. It’s been a while, but definitely sold up north and lived most of its life up north. Short time in Florida.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:49 pm

My last Carrera was a one owner Georgia car. Even though it was a cabriolet, I’m starting to miss it more now! :roll: