Bore Scoring! Who knows for whom the bell tolls...

Einsteiger

Re: Bore Scoring! Who knows for whom the bell tolls...

Post by Einsteiger » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:01 pm

I was thinking that it will be the NEXT sample that will be more revealing. This one was of marginal quality. The condition of the sample itself was shaded yellow - I may have even contaminated it some due to simple inexperience and inherent clumsiness. :)

THAT's why I did not post a copy of the report. ;) No offense to this fine collection of Armchair Engineers. :lol: [Flat 6 people excepted]
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:29 pm

Good thinkin' all around.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:23 am

Did ya'll see this thread on the other forum?

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1 ... ngine.html

What's with the C4S these days? Seems like more and more of them are having problems. More the reason why Jake is producing the series in hopes to better inform 996 owners.

I wouldn't mind snagging this car as a roller. I've been looking for a deal like this that I could use for parts or maybe even repair. I know I know.... I'm crazy for even thinking about it, but life is too short.

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:29 am

Are not the wheel speed sensors on a "4" crazy expensive if they need to be replaced?
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:37 am

b3freak wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:23 am Did ya'll see this thread on the other forum?

What's with the C4S these days? Seems like more and more of them are having problems. More the reason why Jake is producing the series in hopes to better inform 996 owners.

I wouldn't mind snagging this car as a roller. I've been looking for a deal like this that I could use for parts or maybe even repair. I know I know.... I'm crazy for even thinking about it, but life is too short.
If you are really interested it sounds like he is vaguely in my neck of the woods and I might be able to take a look at it for you if needed.

Oooh... Does Jake still have that 4.0 laying around? Not cheap, but this roller plus that 4.0 would be a nice combination...

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:37 am

b3freak wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:23 am Did ya'll see this thread on the other forum?

Ugh, started out as bore scoring then blew up. I'd really like to see some numbers on cars that are still out there by year, but I don't think that's possible. While its true we only hear about the cars with issues and the owners know what Rennlist is, I'd like to confirm that every 996 isn't a ticking time bomb.

Nice candidate for a used motor track car, given that its pretty basic.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:43 am

gnat wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:37 am

If you are really interested it sounds like he is vaguely in my neck of the woods and I might be able to take a look at it for you if needed.

Oooh... Does Jake still have that 4.0 laying around? Not cheap, but this roller plus that 4.0 would be a nice combination...

Thanks man! I think he's up in Maine? I'm sure he's got lots of people interested. Maybe Bill can send him a PM. If I put an engine in it, I would have to either resell it to try to make some money or sell the one I have right now. My wife is NOT going to let me keep both.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:45 am

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:37 am

Ugh, started out as bore scoring then blew up. I'd really like to see some numbers on cars that are still out there by year, but I don't think that's possible. While its true we only hear about the cars with issues and the owners know what Rennlist is, I'd like to confirm that every 996 isn't a ticking time bomb.

Nice candidate for a used motor track car, given that its pretty basic.
I completely agree with you. Raby has said it many times that there's really no way to know. But I would still LOVE to know the numbers.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:51 am

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:37 am Ugh, started out as bore scoring then blew up. I'd really like to see some numbers on cars that are still out there by year, but I don't think that's possible. While its true we only hear about the cars with issues and the owners know what Rennlist is, I'd like to confirm that every 996 isn't a ticking time bomb.
No they are not all time bombs. From what I've seen watching this over the years is that a lot of it has to do with how the cars were driven and maintained (and more of the former than the later). As long as oil was changed at vaguely appropriate intervals (e.g. ignoring the original 15 or 20k idiocy that came from Porsche on the early cars) and it was really driven, the cars seem to be pretty solid. That, of course, won't prevent MFG problems (like a misaligned case), but it seems to keep the self inflicted death at bay. It's the garage queens with barely any miles that seem to have the most problems.

In this case my entirely uneducated guess is that this was not bore scoring that blew up. I've never heard of that happening, at least not in such a short time frame. My guess is that there was something else wrong in that engine and the bore scoring was a symptom rather than the direct issue.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:51 am

gnat wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:37 am Oooh... Does Jake still have that 4.0 laying around? Not cheap, but this roller plus that 4.0 would be a nice combination...
I don't know if it's still around. I need to ask him, but I don't want to bother him too much over my crazy interests. I did get a sense that once an engine like this is finished, it doesn't take long for word to get out and it's sold. That opinion is based on what others have said that work for him.