Bore Scoring! Who knows for whom the bell tolls...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Bore Scoring! Who knows for whom the bell tolls...

Post by gnat » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:47 am

Renn Meister wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:31 am I de-railed a thread without even trying, and by doing nothing more than just making a technical post. I can't stay out of trouble no matter how hard I try.
Nah I don't think Billy will begrudge the derailing in this case as its silly to think you joining us wouldn't cause a stir.

I would hate to see you limit advice to PMs, but I totally get it. As I said, I'll do my part to keep threads where you are offering help free of the devolutions we are all familiar with. For your part I'd ask that if you see such before we can get to it, just ignore it or report it. We'll deal with it as quickly as possible.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:59 am

We'll moderate the shit out of anyone who harasses Raby - or anyone else - unjustly, as unjust harassment falls squarely under the "being a dick" heading. ;)

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:04 pm

gnat wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:44 am
Cuda911 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:04 am

Meister have initials MB?
Clearly* :roll:

* For the record, I have no objection to that person joining us. I have a problem if he does and wants to act as he previously has though.
I'm going on record for saying I sure hope not. If MB joins, it will be all about getting under JR's skin about how running Mobil1 in a racing motorcycle justifies it for Porsches and then Polish bearings this and Polish bearings that... yada yada yada :?

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:08 pm

He can join and make whatever claims he likes, but whoever whips out the pecker first gets drop-kicked by Jesus (with an assist from Gnat, probably) through the goal-posts of life. Or banninated...

The great thing about not accepting sponsorships or collecting dues: we're free to administer shit equally. Instead of being obligated to kiss someone's ass until they become such a burden that they're asked to leave, we can just just take care of things as they need taking care of. No bullshit, no deference to anyone based on whether or not they're helping pay the bills. It's like democracy, but with less hamberders!

Billy, what's the plan - or are you still in shock/analysis paralysis?

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

Renn Meister

Post by Renn Meister » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:47 pm

The atmosphere here is much different than Rennlist. I watched here for a while before thinking of posting.

I was pretty much non- existent on RL for about 2 years. I would sometimes check in once every 2-3 months. Jud, my GM would sometimes chime in, and sometimes he would say "hey someone on RL said that......" and then my response would be: Why do I give a damn? Thats right, I don't!

I really only went back there to pull some of my quotes from old posts to put in my book, as I add some content that I wasn't originally going to add.

Anyway, this place is a breath of fresh air so far, and i'll do my best to keep it that way.

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:03 pm

I remember seeing information about the IMS bearing situation for years, but is the bore-scoring problem something that was recently discovered? Or have I been under that virtual rock on that topic? It seems that every few years something comes along...followed quickly by an expensive fix. ;) When I had my motor worked over last year [IMS, main seal, chain guides, etc etc] the bores looked good. But hell, that was MONTHS ago. :)
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:07 pm

Einsteiger wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:03 pm I remember seeing information about the IMS bearing situation for years, but is the bore-scoring problem something that was recently discovered? Or have I been under that virtual rock on that topic? It seems that every few years something comes along...followed quickly by an expensive fix. ;) When I had my motor worked over last year [IMS, main seal, chain guides, etc etc] the bores looked good. But hell, that was MONTHS ago. :)
Nah it's an old one. The IMSB is the pretty one that gets all the attention though :lol:

Historically it was believed that cold weather (at or near freezing) cold starts followed by not properly following the warm up procedure was to blame, but it's sounding like Jake is finding that it's not so cut and dried any more.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:01 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the bore scoring issue is more prevalent in Europe compared with IMSB failure. In other words, they lose more sleep over bore scoring in Europe on 996s than IMSB failure. Also, other Porsche models (997.1 and Cayenne come to mind) seem to have a bigger reputation than the 996 for bore scoring.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

Cuda911
Possum Hauler

Post by Cuda911 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:18 pm

gnat wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:44 am
Cuda911 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:04 am

Meister have initials MB?
Clearly* :roll:

* For the record, I have no objection to that person joining us. I have a problem if he does and wants to act as he previously has though.
Personally, I always enjoy his posts. Provides a good counter opinion to some other folks, on matters that are far over my head. I think Mr. IMSB will do just fine here.
Mike

'68 Ford Custom 500; '70 Plymouth Cuda; '71 Ford Econoline; 73 Porsche 914 1.7, '74 Porsche 914 1.8; '74 Suzuki TC185; '86 Suzuki GS450L; '88 Subaru GL104WD Turbo Ltd Edn;; '88 Subaru XT; '91 Lexus ES250; '93 Jeep Wrangler, '99 Porsche Boxster, '03 Turbo VW Beetle; '03 Porsche Boxster; '03 Porsche Carrera C2; '07 Porsche Cayman, '11 BMW 328i, '12 Porsche 991 S, '14 Porsche Cayman, & a mishmash of other vehicles.

Renn Meister

Post by Renn Meister » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:30 pm

I remember seeing information about the IMS bearing situation for years, but is the bore-scoring problem something that was recently discovered? Or have I been under that virtual rock on that topic?
Quite the contrary. Bore scoring is the oldest of all known M96/M97 engines failures. On my list of 31 modes of failure that we've seen over the years, bore scoring is MOF#1. Its the first failure we ever experienced, and created a "fix" for.

Today no failure is more prominent, on top of Billy's call today, I just finished a consult with a Canadian, 2003 C4S, 64K miles... He starts off in the live chat on the site "Hello, my car runs fine, but it uses 1Lt of oil every 1,000km. I have changed the AOS with no improvement"

I respond "Does the engine have a ticking sound?"
He responds "Yes, it does, but it runs fine"

Then I say "Is one tailpipe darker than the other?"
Him: "Yes"
Me "Is that the driver's side tailpipe?"
Him: "Absolutely"
Me: "I know your affliction, give me a ring"

The reports are worse this year than ever, over double what we have ever seen in any other single winter. usually these issues manifest with symptoms in spring. Not this year.